Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

We spell words differently than you!! Mom is Mum lol and others

Posted by   + Show Post
In Australia we have a few words that we spell differently than you guys in America. Well spell Mum, color, honor and there are words that you use a Z in it and we use a S :) It can actually make spell check hard because it is based on American spelling and not Australian :)
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 2:55 AM
Replies (131-136):
mattiehatter
by Mary on Apr. 13, 2013 at 1:20 AM
I have a tendency to accidentally spell things like Aussies and Brits. I've known the different spellings for years. Had an Aussie camp councilor when I was in girl scouts. Tried vegemite. Not a fan lol. She told us that she didn't like our bread.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MommyAddie
by Platinum Member on Apr. 13, 2013 at 4:42 AM
That's funny, I had trouble finding a bubbler in Texas, too. To us, water fountains have statues and bird poop. It's just always been a bubbler.

Quoting chattycassie:

This is too funny. When I moved to WI I found out they called drinking fountains bubblers. The first time my boss told me I had to clean the bubblers I was like WTF did he just say to me. :)  I also HATE roundabouts

Quoting MommyAddie:

Roundabouts suck!!!! What a horrible, sadistic replacement to an intersection/traffic light. My hometown (Green Bay, Wisconsin) put some in and nobody knows when to go and people keep ending up on the wrong streets. Yuck.

In Wisconsin, we call ATMs TYME machines. When I moved to Texas and started asking for a TYME machine everyone said, "A what?" And I would repeat a little slower, "Where is the nearest TYME machine?" People thought I was insane until the lady at the bank asked how far back in time I kept my money? We almost died laughing when I realized that its not called a TYME machine everywhere.

Quoting EntrepeneurMom:

A quick guide to British English-

Diaper- nappy

Daycare- nursery

Cookie- biscuit

Bachelor/bachelorette party- stag/hen do

Candy- we call it by products, e.g chocolate, marshmellow, sweets etc. We only called boiled sweets candy

Shirt- top

Layway- credit

Eggplant- aubergine

Welfare- benefits

CPS- social services

Pants- trousers, jeans etc

Track pants- tracksuit bottoms

Starbucks- overpriced trash only rich people buy here

Freeway- motorway

Trash- litter

Store- shop

Mall- shopping centre

Grocery store- supermarket

Garbage can- bin

Pumps- high heels

Sneakers- trainers

Fries- chips

Potato chips- crisps

Soda- we call it by its brand, or just fizzy drink

And as for traffic roundabouts, youd better look them up on google yourself....

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mstkn.identity
by on Apr. 13, 2013 at 5:11 AM
1 mom liked this
I love this post. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CrimsonGrace
by Gold Member on Apr. 13, 2013 at 8:32 AM
1 mom liked this
Ours are flaky and typically a dessert type pastry. It is confusing! We make our biscuits different depending on what region of the States you are in too. LOL

Quoting livric:

lol,  this is just so funny!!!  and SOOOO confusing lol.   our scones are made with flour, eggs and milk.  they can have saltanas or raisins in them.

Quoting CrimsonGrace:

I think the closest thing to an American biscuit there is called a scone. We have scones as well, but they are different from our biscuits LOL

Quoting livric:

we say nappies,  and for onesie we call a growsuit lol.   also we dont say candy at all,  it is lollies or chocolate. and I am not entirely sure what the product you call a biscuit is.  Because I saw a post yesturday that you got a bacon and egg biscuit at macdonalds!!  we dont say cookie,  we call them biscuits lol.  

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
CrossStitchMum
by Platinum Member on May. 28, 2013 at 2:29 AM

They call scones, biscuits. This confused me for ages too

CrossStitchMum
by Platinum Member on May. 28, 2013 at 2:35 AM
1 mom liked this

lol, I was talking to a group of Americans and innocently said 'Ive just put the doona in the wash' They were all like Huh?? Whats that?laughing

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)