Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

It's wrong to force food choices

Posted by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 10:34 AM
  • 119 Replies

Something I don't understand. If a person doesn't want to eat a certain item why force them? My mom did with is with me as a child. I was not a picky eater but sensitive to certain foods. She found out the hard way when I threw up tuna casserole and hamburger helper. If someone doesn't like a certain item why force it? I wouldn't force them to wear shoes they didn't like or that weren't comfortable. I am not saying they don't have to eat healthy! But if a child hates broccoli why can't they just have carrots? Is it a control issue? The last cruise I went on had escargo...everyone tried it but me. Just looking at it and hearing it was rubbery chewy made me feel sick. Yet there was pressure to try it, why?  This seem to be only a human issue with food. At the table trying everything once was brought up As a rule in mil house. If the smell repulsed someone why make them try it? I guess my house rule is you will eat something healthy but I won't force something you don't like. With my kids the only food my daughter doesn't like is fish. Even the smell bothers her. Not an issue for me. My son eats everything. Do you force food choices on your kids?

by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 10:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
thenameshailie
by Ruby Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 10:36 AM

I tell my child to eat what I give her because food is meant for nutrition, not enjoyment. However, she wont eat meat so I work around that for her.

audreesmama
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 10:37 AM
1 mom liked this
My kids have to try a bite, but not eat it all. I'm a good cook so they almost always finish though lol.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
VinVanMom
by Silver Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 10:38 AM

I disagree and believe it is meant for nutrition and enjoyment. The spice of life...I will take strawberries over green beans any day. 

Quoting thenameshailie:

I tell my child to eat what I give her because food is meant for nutrition, not enjoyment. However, she wont eat meat so I work around that for her.

hotmama83227
by Silver Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 10:38 AM

when they are little yes. because their tastes change almost constantly when then. now, i dont really have to force anything, mostly because they eat all of whatever i give them...they know they eat it or go hungry....so i just dont have this picky eater problem.

Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 10:38 AM

No, I don't believe in forcing food at all.

I made meals (and when they were very young, snacks).  They ate it or not.  Not the "one more bite" crap.  Not the "have to try a bite" stuff either.  The food was there -  they ate it or not.  It was healthy food.  If they didn't eat it, they waited til the next scheduled meal.  No discussion, no punishment.

Oh, and they're grown/mostly grown now, and no eating issues.  No overweight.  No boredom eating.

Tatum2U
by Platinum Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 10:39 AM
My kids are expected to try everything.

We humans are the only ones who are picky . Animals eat based on need , hunger and what's available. I don't care if adults won't try a new food but I do think they are silly or something when they won't try something.
AutymsMommy
by Platinum Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 10:39 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm with you. As an adult, I do not eat things I don't care for.

I do ask the children to take a "no thank you" bite because I know tastes can change over the years; beyond that, no big.

My eldest is an adventerous eater. She'll try anything one and 9 times out of 10, she enjoys it. She loves broccoli any way it's cooked (or not cooked), she likes carrots raw (so why would I force her to eat it cooked?), she loves peas, and green beans; she doesn't care for brussel sprouts. No big. She loves fruits, carbs, proteins, seafood, meats, vegetables, exotic food and plain jane food.

My middle son is pickier, but hits all of his food groups, so I'm just trying to take it slowly with him.

My youngest (only 9 months) already appears to be "Mikey" - he'll eat ANYTHING that isn't nailed down, lol.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

AmaliaD
by Platinum Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 10:40 AM
1 mom liked this

I do make my son try new foods.    even if he hates the smell - most the time he likes it.   with the exception of that cold shrimp and cock tale sauce - he had to spit that one out at EAster.      i have sensory issues with food.   certain textures and smells make me almost puke when i come into contact with them.    i have never made him eat somethign he did not like and he eats very healthy.   

justinnaimee
by Platinum Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 10:40 AM
My kids are expected to have a "no thank you" bite. You cant know you dont like it if you dont try it. But after one bite if they dont like it they can have something else.
caito
by Ruby Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 10:40 AM
1 mom liked this

If they never try anything new they'll stick with shit. I should know, I never had to try anything new. I liked what I was given, so why would I try something that I thought looked yucky?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)