Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Home School Moms (not a bash post)

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 32 Replies
Home schooling is something I am seriously looking into. I am completely disgusted with the school here.
What do you do to make sure your children get socialization?
What curriculum do you use and how expensive is it?
Do you find it difficult to keep your child's education on track?
Do you ever second guess your decision to home school?
What do you feel are the pro's and con's of home school?
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 11, 2013 at 2:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 11, 2013 at 2:53 PM
No one home schools?
momcat437
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 3:04 PM
2 moms liked this

Homeschooling our kids was the best decision we ever made.  We pulled both kids out of school when it was apparent that the schools were doing nothing to help them--my son always struggled in school but his teachers (in California)bent over backwards to help him.  On the other hand, my daughter always did well.  Once we moved to Ohio, both kids went down the tubes--we had numerous parent/teacher conferences which amounted to nothing (extremely long story), so we pulled the kids out.  There are many online schools to choose from, depending on the ages of your kids.  We tried http://www.time4learning.com/ and our kids really liked it.  Once they got to high school (they were in eighth and sixth grades, respectively, when we took them out), we went with a high school correspondence course, American School, and they did very well.  It wasn't too pricey, and there were many courses to choose from.  Another very useful webside is http://www.hsdla.org/.   This site will give you priceless info about the legalities of homeschooling in your state.  The hardest thing, I think, for us was to keep them focused on the schoolwork.  Being at home offers many distractions, and for us, my husband was always the biggest distraction--since the kids were home, he would take them to work with him to help him (he invests in foreclosures and fixes them up for resale).  We are also a strong Christian family and we are all involved in the ministry, so they're getting a Bible education as well.  You are your kids' best teacher--I would highly encourage you to give it a try--it's the best thing for you and your family!  Good luck!

RightSock
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 3:06 PM

Have you checked out the homeschooling group here on cm? I do not home school but I know a few families that do here. Their kids socialize at our public school. They are able to participate in the school sports programs. I have a family member involved with the Co-Op local to us for homeschooling.

ETA:

Socialization again. Our 4H programs here have several homeschoolers. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 11, 2013 at 3:43 PM
Thanks for all the information!

Quoting momcat437:

Homeschooling our kids was the best decision we ever made.  We pulled both kids out of school when it was apparent that the schools were doing nothing to help them--my son always struggled in school but his teachers (in California)bent over backwards to help him.  On the other hand, my daughter always did well.  Once we moved to Ohio, both kids went down the tubes--we had numerous parent/teacher conferences which amounted to nothing (extremely long story), so we pulled the kids out.  There are many online schools to choose from, depending on the ages of your kids.  We tried http://www.time4learning.com/ and our kids really liked it.  Once they got to high school (they were in eighth and sixth grades, respectively, when we took them out), we went with a high school correspondence course, American School, and they did very well.  It wasn't too pricey, and there were many courses to choose from.  Another very useful webside is http://www.hsdla.org/.   This site will give you priceless info about the legalities of homeschooling in your state.  The hardest thing, I think, for us was to keep them focused on the schoolwork.  Being at home offers many distractions, and for us, my husband was always the biggest distraction--since the kids were home, he would take them to work with him to help him (he invests in foreclosures and fixes them up for resale).  We are also a strong Christian family and we are all involved in the ministry, so they're getting a Bible education as well.  You are your kids' best teacher--I would highly encourage you to give it a try--it's the best thing for you and your family!  Good luck!

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 11, 2013 at 3:44 PM
1 mom liked this
I didn't know that there was such a group! Thanks for the info, I'll check it out!

Quoting RightSock:

Have you checked out the homeschooling group here on cm? I do not home school but I know a few families that do here. Their kids socialize at our public school. They are able to participate in the school sports programs. I have a family member involved with the Co-Op local to us for homeschooling.

ETA:

Socialization again. Our 4H programs here have several homeschoolers. 

MommynMonster
by Silver Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 3:46 PM

I homeschool kinda, im raising him wild like a baby squirrel

Ichthus
by Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 3:49 PM

The CM group is called Happy Homeschoolers.

gma12.1
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 4:05 PM

I did for 4 years. Some of the people in our 4-H club were homeschoolers so when I began to have problems with the school and pulled her out I had support. One family made their own curriculum until the kids reached 7th grade then they went to a christian based schooling curriculum. I also made my own curriculum and each year she was tested to make sure that I was teaching her at least the basics for her grade level she passed with higher scores than the kids that were in school, and her schooing time was about 3 hours a day and most of the time it was broke up over the entire day. I allowed her to go back to public school in a different district for 6th grade, with the understanding that if I felt the school was not doing their job I would take her out, she agreed. She graduated from the alternative school in our district because the regular HS's wouldn't help her with the classes that she needed. She needed 2 advanced classes and had wanted to get into the advanced classes for 2 years and they wouldn't do it. Her grades and ability was high enough that she could have passed thoe classes fairly easily. By going to the alternative school she did her work at her own pace and was able to take those advanced classes. She graduated with 3.9 gpa.

Megara
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 4:08 PM
1 mom liked this

My kids are little (5 and 2) so honestly not much "school" happens.  But, we are plenty socialized through church and our homeschool co-op.  I don't use a curriculum because what I do right now is more like "unschooling."

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 11, 2013 at 4:11 PM
1 mom liked this
The group here is awesome!
We use K12. free public academy. so it cost nothing and we dont pay for books or anything either. they sent us a computer and layout the entire year.
It feels like I am a sub and the teacher layed everything out very well!!
We go to church and playdates through cafemom and facebook and meetups.com. we go to the park and play and talk with *gasp* strangers and have made a friend or two. and a creep or 3.
We also go to gatherings for CAVA.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)