Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

$668 a month

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 95 Replies
1 mom liked this

I make $17.50 an hour for a company. In January, they cut my hours down to 20 hours a week. I lost all my benefits and insurance. I then got housing assistance, and my rent dropped from $600 to $443 a month. I thought I would be just fine with that. I also paid off my car, paid my dd's dance class off for one year, and paid her preschool off - all with my tax check and my grant money. Well, between myself, my dd, and my ds, I spend around $80 to $100 a week in food. It's really getting hard for me to pay that every week. I don't have the kids in anything that is costing me much money at all. But between gas and food and the occasional stuff they need, it's almost impossible (so I am learning). 

So last week I made the decision to apply for food stamps to help with the cost of my food. I was completely honest with everything. I had my interview the other day and i turned in every document that requested from me. I thought for sure i would maybe get $200 a month or so... considering I still have about $400 a month after my bills are paid (which go to gas and food and extras for the kids). Nope, they approved me for $668 a month. I was like holy crap! What the hell am I gonna need all that money for? ya know? No wonder our country is trillions of dollars in debt! 

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 11, 2013 at 4:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 11, 2013 at 4:19 PM
BUMP
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 11, 2013 at 4:20 PM
1 mom liked this

Well then dont take it all if you dont think you need it.  =) 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 11, 2013 at 4:21 PM
I thought money you don't use goes back? I could be wrong tho.
Stephd710
by Ruby Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 4:21 PM
2 moms liked this

I was on FS for maybe 3 months while I was off work after I had my twins.  I got way more than I needed.  It built up and stayed on my card even after they cancelled my benefits when I got a new job, I still continued to use the leftover until it ran out.  You can just save it up on the card and use it later. 

LuLuThatsWho
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 4:21 PM

Then do the right thing... Only spend what you need.

dirby1988
by Silver Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 4:22 PM

I would use it and stock up on meats and canned stuff, unless your family is vegan or vegetarian. Thats what i would do. Me and dd get a little over $300 and the only income i have is child support which is $232 a month but it isnt consistent. I have a job interview tonight tho so hopefully i can get off foodstamps with this job.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 11, 2013 at 4:22 PM

do you think they will just take the money when I no longer need the assistance? I have no clue (obviously) lol. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Well then dont take it all if you dont think you need it.  =) 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 11, 2013 at 4:22 PM

really? I had no idea I could do that. Thanks. 

Quoting Stephd710:

I was on FS for maybe 3 months while I was off work after I had my twins.  I got way more than I needed.  It built up and stayed on my card even after they cancelled my benefits when I got a new job, I still continued to use the leftover until it ran out.  You can just save it up on the card and use it later. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 11, 2013 at 4:23 PM
We make 2000 a month for a family of 4 and only get 327? How do u get that much?
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 11, 2013 at 4:23 PM

Yeah, no wonder.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)