Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

$668 a month

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 95 Replies
1 mom liked this

I make $17.50 an hour for a company. In January, they cut my hours down to 20 hours a week. I lost all my benefits and insurance. I then got housing assistance, and my rent dropped from $600 to $443 a month. I thought I would be just fine with that. I also paid off my car, paid my dd's dance class off for one year, and paid her preschool off - all with my tax check and my grant money. Well, between myself, my dd, and my ds, I spend around $80 to $100 a week in food. It's really getting hard for me to pay that every week. I don't have the kids in anything that is costing me much money at all. But between gas and food and the occasional stuff they need, it's almost impossible (so I am learning). 

So last week I made the decision to apply for food stamps to help with the cost of my food. I was completely honest with everything. I had my interview the other day and i turned in every document that requested from me. I thought for sure i would maybe get $200 a month or so... considering I still have about $400 a month after my bills are paid (which go to gas and food and extras for the kids). Nope, they approved me for $668 a month. I was like holy crap! What the hell am I gonna need all that money for? ya know? No wonder our country is trillions of dollars in debt! 

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 11, 2013 at 4:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 11, 2013 at 4:19 PM
BUMP
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 11, 2013 at 4:20 PM
1 mom liked this

Well then dont take it all if you dont think you need it.  =) 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 11, 2013 at 4:21 PM
I thought money you don't use goes back? I could be wrong tho.
Stephd710
by Ruby Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 4:21 PM
2 moms liked this

I was on FS for maybe 3 months while I was off work after I had my twins.  I got way more than I needed.  It built up and stayed on my card even after they cancelled my benefits when I got a new job, I still continued to use the leftover until it ran out.  You can just save it up on the card and use it later. 

LuLuThatsWho
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 4:21 PM

Then do the right thing... Only spend what you need.

dirby1988
by Silver Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 4:22 PM

I would use it and stock up on meats and canned stuff, unless your family is vegan or vegetarian. Thats what i would do. Me and dd get a little over $300 and the only income i have is child support which is $232 a month but it isnt consistent. I have a job interview tonight tho so hopefully i can get off foodstamps with this job.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 11, 2013 at 4:22 PM

do you think they will just take the money when I no longer need the assistance? I have no clue (obviously) lol. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Well then dont take it all if you dont think you need it.  =) 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 11, 2013 at 4:22 PM

really? I had no idea I could do that. Thanks. 

Quoting Stephd710:

I was on FS for maybe 3 months while I was off work after I had my twins.  I got way more than I needed.  It built up and stayed on my card even after they cancelled my benefits when I got a new job, I still continued to use the leftover until it ran out.  You can just save it up on the card and use it later. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 11, 2013 at 4:23 PM
We make 2000 a month for a family of 4 and only get 327? How do u get that much?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Apr. 11, 2013 at 4:23 PM

Yeah, no wonder.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN