Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

scabies ???

Posted by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 8:08 PM
  • 3 Replies
My whole life ..knock on wood i have been very fortunate to never have had lice (I have had psoriasis on my scalp since I was about 7?8? Ive heard that may be why...anyway! My instructor comes to class (this class there is on average 5 students because alot of people skip it so we are all very friendly) & tells us not only did she go into her daughters preschool and be notified that there was a case of scabbies ...but found out its her friends daughter who has it! She says its highly spreadable and that the signs do not show for about 2 weeks.

Now Im paranoid! I understand that due to our exam being exactly two weeks away and us being a little behind from storm cancellations etc her not wanting to cancel but my question is IF she did have it... Would it be likely our class could get it? & is it that quickly spread that before she even has signs we would could get it?

I probably sound like an idiot but all i know about it is
1.) its body lice
2.) it spreads quickly like lice
3.) your itchy
4.) you get more itchy when in water.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 8:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Rbrown72707
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 8:11 PM
1 mom liked this

What kind of class are you taking?  Scabies spreads from skin-to-skin contact and contact with others' clothing.  I had it.  It was NOT fun.  I got it in Nicaragua on a mission's trip in high school.  I was still okay to go to school and everything, but I just made sure not to touch anyone.  

ninjakids
by Christina on Apr. 11, 2013 at 8:15 PM
This particular class was college biology (getting my pre reqs for nursing). I do not believe we made contact directly, only handing each other pieces of paper. Lol.

Quoting Rbrown72707:

What kind of class are you taking?  Scabies spreads from skin-to-skin contact and contact with others' clothing.  I had it.  It was NOT fun.  I got it in Nicaragua on a mission's trip in high school.  I was still okay to go to school and everything, but I just made sure not to touch anyone.  

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Rbrown72707
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 9:27 PM

You're probably fine.  Scabies would spread quickly with young toddlers because they are so touchy feely.  You probably don't have it:)  Even if you did, it's a simple cream application that you apply on your whole body head to toe - not scalp, and you wash everything and store everything you can't wash in plastic bags for 2 weeks.  It's a pain, but not awful.  When I got home from Nicaragua with it, none of my family even caught it.  We caught it by sleeping next to the family we were staying with.

Quoting ninjakids:

This particular class was college biology (getting my pre reqs for nursing). I do not believe we made contact directly, only handing each other pieces of paper. Lol.

Quoting Rbrown72707:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)