Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you make a comment about a baby's skin color?

Posted by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 9:20 PM
  • 525 Replies
1 mom liked this

I didn't realize people do this. Now that I have a baby with a skin tone different than my own, I have realized that people will comment about a baby's skin color.  I have had two women walk up to me and go, "Wow! Your baby is so tan!"  Ummm, okay...lol.  What do you say to that?...lol.

I have never walked up to a stranger and commented about the color of their baby.  "Wow, your baby is so white!"  "Wow, your baby is so dark brown!"  Wha...?  lmao

by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 9:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jessy613
by Diamond Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 9:21 PM
8 moms liked this

Lol..yeah thats pretty odd...people are fucking idiots with no common sense.

audreesmama
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 9:21 PM
9 moms liked this

"Yes, and he has better manners than you ever will" would be an appropriate response.

audreesmama
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 9:21 PM

People have asked if DD is adopted or if DS is my stepson lol. Idiots...they're everywhere!

bustybee
by Buzz Lightyear on Apr. 11, 2013 at 9:22 PM
8 moms liked this

not really. we have alot of white/native american couples and its  pretty common to say "he's dark like mom" or "she's white like her daddy" but its not done as a racial slur or anything..

bcoll
by Brandi on Apr. 11, 2013 at 9:23 PM
1 mom liked this

When my youngest was born I got a few "Her complexion is so much darker than the others" lol

I bet people were wondering ;)

But no, I would not.

RaynesMommy07
by Platinum Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 9:23 PM
1 mom liked this
Never asked that question and never really had it asked to me. That's odd lol. Ppl are rude I swear.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mommy2b2many
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 9:24 PM
2 moms liked this

Other then "What a gorgeous skin tone" no.

But I'm Black and have hispanic-caucasian daughters... I have had random strangers come up to me and try to argue about how they aren't mine; and I'm an idiot to think anyone believes me because they don't "match"me

aimhawk
by Gold Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 9:24 PM

My SIL gets comments all the time. Her situation is a little different than most so then she gets asked about her husband, too.

NieceS
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 9:24 PM

Not about someone else's baby, unless that baby had remarkable skin.  My niece is so dark but she's deliciously pink at the same time. She's my little chocolate cherry.  But back to your question, I normally only nickname my own babies.  My littlest daughter is my chocolate drop. 

If you find it offensive make sure people know it.  I would hate to think I was complimenting your child only to later find out you thought I was being rude.

ans11950
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 9:24 PM
2 moms liked this
Oh yeah they do! I'm a redhead with obviously really pale skin..my son is half black and has curly hair. people are always like 'oh, that's your son?' Um yeah...this isn't the stone ages anymore!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured