Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

French Kids Eat Everything

Posted by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 3:38 AM
  • 9 Replies

Have you read this book, and if so what did you think about it?  Do you use any of the techniques for your own children?

by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 3:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 12, 2013 at 5:46 AM
My friend swore by this when her DS was a toddler. Now he is 4 and she can hardly get him to eat anything.

My DS has always had choices of various healthy foods at meals, and can refuse anything. He is a great eater.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 12, 2013 at 5:50 AM
1 mom liked this
Can you explain the book more for those of us who have no idea what you are talking about? Please!
GirlWithANikon
by Platinum Member on Apr. 12, 2013 at 5:55 AM

never heard of it. I have also heard they are more independent from a study as well though. Its funny to see all the different parenting styles. My kids don't like some foods, but I have a 5 year old who's fav  food is grilled salmon and a 3 yr old who loves raw broccolie. They eat ok. Could stand some better choices but they eat fresh and  you can't persecute childhood.

LilliesValley
by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 6:07 AM
Never heard of it. We have take it or leave it (but we won't make anything else) and you have to try one bite of everything. The second has been great because quite often dd tries something, likes it and eats it all up. Even if she's tried it before we still have her try it again, never know when your taste buds might change.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
itsm3
by Platinum Member on Apr. 12, 2013 at 6:34 AM

never read it or heard of it.  dd is a great eater and has been since she was little.  we cook and she eats it.  she doesn't have to eat the whole thing but she eats untnil she's full and we always follow dinner with fruits.  if there are leftovers, she chooses what she eats from those left overs but each meal must have a protein and fresh veggies.  

Rain2Rinse
by Gold Member on Apr. 12, 2013 at 6:37 AM
Dd has always even a great water. We never went through a picky stage. Right now she is really enjoying almost any kind of sushi, pickled asparagus, and artichoke hearts. She eats fruits and veggies all day long. Really, she will eat anything you put in front of her, but she really dislikes mushrooms.

She's 6.5
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.strawberry.
by Gold Member on Apr. 12, 2013 at 1:09 PM

It's by Karen Le Billon and it's supposed to be the best book when it comes to picky eaters.  It's about her families move to France (her husband is French) and how over in France the customs are so different and the children will eat everything.  For example, from the time children start eating they teach table manners. They do not believe it's okay for a child to play with food (like how here we all have that famous spaghetti all over face picture? not in France).  When a toddler plays with food they take the dish away.

The main points of the book are (and these are written on the back of the book so it's not a huge secret):

#1 Parents, you are in charge of food education

#2 Avoid emotional eating- NO food rewards, bribes, punishments, etc

#3 Parents always plan and schedule meals-  KIDS EAT WHAT ADULTS EAT- NO short-order cooking.

#4 Eat family meals together- NO distractions

#5 Eat your veggies, think variety

#6 You don't have to like it but you do have to taste it

#7 NO SNACKING.  It's ok to be hungry between meals

#8 Eat Slowly

#9 Eat Real Food

#10 Eating is joyful- RELAX!

Quoting Anonymous:

Can you explain the book more for those of us who have no idea what you are talking about? Please!

nonnarae
by Silver Member on Apr. 12, 2013 at 3:55 PM
Those seen kind of reasonable. Except maybe number 7.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
.strawberry.
by Gold Member on Apr. 13, 2013 at 12:40 PM

I think the idea behind snacking is that it teaches kids that they can turn down a meal and still get something. I could be wrong, I haven't gotten to that part in the book yet!

Quoting nonnarae:

Those seen kind of reasonable. Except maybe number 7.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN