Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

No, your children DON'T need to go everyfreakingwhere! ETA

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 997 Replies
103 moms liked this

ETA at bottom

I honestly don't understand moms that can't stand to be away from their children.  At all.  Ever.  

I understand if you have a newborn or an older child who has disabilities.  That's different and totally understandable if you don't feel comfortable getting a sitter for your child.  

I'm talking about the moms who, oh, I don't know, RSVP their toddlers or young children (elementary school age) to adults-only events, or take their children everywhere they go, even to the OB/GYN.  "OH look Timmy, that's called a speculum!  The doctor uses it to see inside mommy and make sure she's doing ok!" 

The world doesn't revolve around your precious snowflakes, and they need to learn that.  That's one of the reasons we have such entitled brats everywhere we look, because mommy took them everywhere no matter what, even if they weren't invited. 

Some events are adult-only because adults need time to themselves and to spend time in social groups without their kids or someone else's kids running around.  I know I'm not the only one here who wouldn't take their children to a wedding and reception even if children were invited.  I want to go and enjoy the ceremony without having to wipe noses, get up to take them to the bathroom, or generally entertain them at an adult event they most likely will be bored with.  

I love my kids, I love spending time with them, taking them places, and creating lots of memories; but I know not all places are kid-friendly and not all adults like kids.  I have a life, interests, and hobbies outside of my kids.  I love being a mom but I like being me, too.  

I guess what I'm saying is it's ok for you to go out with your husband every once in a while.  If you have toddlers or elementary-school kids, ask around for a reliable baby-sitter.  Someone is bound to know one and give you their number.  If you have a few friends or acquaintances you know, offer to start a baby-sitting  circle where one couple watches another couple's kids for the night while they go out to dinner, and they reciprocate the next night or the next weekend.  

Go.  Have fun.  Make a monthly thing.  Find yourself again and reclaim who you were before you had kids.  You can still be a great mom while being an individual.  Find yourself before it's too late!  

ETA:

OMG my post made the featured post of the day!  That's AWESOME!!!

I haven't had time to read all the replies yet, and I really didn't mean to offend anyone.  I've been at my breaking point before where I didn't have anyone to watch my kids and I really needed a break.  And honestly, if I could, I would help all of you out.  Everyone deserves a break now and then, even if you're just taking a little nap or taking that shower you really want to take.  I truly hope you find someone trustworthy to help you out soon.  

Also, I just wanted to clear something up:  I understand if you're a single mom and kind of HAVE to take your children everywhere because of course you can't leave them at home alone.  

I was referring to the mom's who don't ever want to do anything without their kids, even if they can get a reliable and trustworthy babysitter for the evening.

You need freedom for a night.  Your kids need to be free to do things without you sometimes and learn how to be themselves without mommy constantly there.  That's how they grow, develop, and learn how to be an individual.  

I'm sure all of you are great moms and we are all trying our best.  

blowing kisses

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 12, 2013 at 4:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommy_2_be_2010
by Ruby Member on Apr. 12, 2013 at 4:35 AM
25 moms liked this
I'm a single mom so i have to take my kid
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
stickyfingers
by Platinum Member on Apr. 12, 2013 at 4:38 AM
76 moms liked this
I don't have a choice. I have no family or friends to help me out. If you would like to watch my three kids so I could get a break or even a nap I would appreciate it...
raye-chan
by Raye on Apr. 12, 2013 at 4:38 AM
2 moms liked this

Every once in awhile I do wish I could find a sitter for my little guy but each person I've had ever babysit him, aside from hubby and two trusted friends who know how to handle him, can't handle him. :( But, I do agree to an extent. 

SadeAyosmom
by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 4:40 AM
9 moms liked this

my DD came to all of my gyno aps i just kept her in the pram.

the only other option for me is to leave them at home alone.

i literally have no one to ask. ...

so they come everywhere i go or i dont go.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 12, 2013 at 4:42 AM
31 moms liked this

Me and DH are leaving for the beach for the entire weekend without the kids in just a few hours! *Gasp* I am a horrible mother! Pssshhh...I am so excited!

littlemonaghan
by Gold Member on Apr. 12, 2013 at 4:42 AM
7 moms liked this
I take my daughter everywhere, even to my midwife *gasp*

She's not even 2 yet and my husband is deployed for over 6 months put of the year. We move every couple years and since he is gone so much, we seldom need a sitter so I've never found one I'm comfortable leaving my kid with.

Yes I've got fellow wives/neighbors that can help me in a pinch but they have lives and children of their own. I would never want to rely on them every time I needed to go somewhere.

Momma.x3
by Bronze Member on Apr. 12, 2013 at 4:45 AM
95 moms liked this
Your opinion isn't everyone's. My husband and I feel a baby sitter is pointless they didn't create our children. Our children are our responsibility end of story. We have a right to feel that way just because you don't. Have fun going out and what not, its not for everyone. Honestly I find it horrifying when moms are going out every weekend and leaving their children at home with a sitter. Just my opinion.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JLah
by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 4:46 AM
4 moms liked this

OMG how do you live with yourself......lol. Have fun. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Me and DH are leaving for the beach for the entire weekend without the kids in just a few hours! *Gasp* I am a horrible mother! Pssshhh...I am so excited!

jeweldragons
by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 4:48 AM
7 moms liked this
I don't like adults. I prefer the company of little kids which is partly why I plan on being a teacher. I have PCOD and we've been TTC for six years. Just because you take your kids everywhere doesn't mean you have lost your identity. I agree though that some places aren't child friendly. We do not do 'date nights'. We don't need them and they aren't our style. I have some hobbies (reading, gaming, astronomy, writing, even trying to learn sewing and want to start learning Ta'i Chi Chu'an). I can easily do the first five easily at home. Hell I could even buy a DVD about Ta'i Chi Chu'an and begin learning that at home as well if I wanted. You do what you want and I'll do what I want.
3xangel
by *Angelicious* on Apr. 12, 2013 at 4:49 AM
2 moms liked this
*like*
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)