Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Who Drives the Safer Car - You or Your DH/SO?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 24 Replies

I was talking on the phone last night with my SIL.  I am planning a trip to visit with her next month and taking my two kids (8 and 10).  She has three kids (3, 5, and 6).  So she reminded me that I would have to pick up a rental car at the airport - no problem.  Then she asked if I could get an SUV as we are planning to take the kids camping.  No problem but I mentioned that she had an SUV and we could probably put all the gear in that.  Nope, she doesn't have it.  Why?  Because my BIL traded it in for a brand new Land Cruiser which only he is allowed to drive and gave her his 1997 Corolla!

I am pissed.  She carts the kids everywhere, does all the household shopping and she has to drive an unreliable POS car. He drives two miles to the fire station, parks the car for three days during his shift, and then drives home.  That's it!  Yet he told her since he paid for it (she is a SAHM) he should get what he wants.

It really surprised me because DH has always made sure that the kids and I have had the safest, most reliable car in the family.  How did these two boys come from the same family?

So, who in your family drives the safest vehicle?

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 12, 2013 at 5:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 12, 2013 at 5:45 AM

We only have 1 vehicle. But all of my siblings have 2 and the wives have the better vehicle. We will be buying a new one soon and it will be mine, DH will continue to drive the one we have now.

Army-Wife0128
by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 5:47 AM
That's pretty shitty of him to do that and more since he doesn't have that much of a drive to work and he hardly uses the car. That's messed up i think. I'm a SAHM and I have the most reliable car. He said since i have the kids and take them places, i need it more than he does.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 12, 2013 at 5:48 AM
We both have very safe cars. But whoever has the kids has the SUV.
monique76
by Silver Member on Apr. 12, 2013 at 5:49 AM
Both our cars are safe
LilliesValley
by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 5:49 AM
Wow, how lovely of her to marry someone so self absorbed. Both of our cars are safe, they're older but both larger sedans. Mines newer but dh wanted it that way and the only thing I care about is having the seat moved back if dh drives it. We only have one child but I'm pregnant with nunber two. I watched two of dd friends for several days and didn't borrow the parents van. Wont do that again. The thing you click the seatbelt into isn't long enough with three car seats. No way I'd do it all day every day. But if dh told me I couldn't drive the car I'd just laugh. Your bil couldn't afford that car mltn if your sil wasn't watching the kids all day every day. Child care is expensive. What an ass.
jbirdsladie27
by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 5:49 AM
I did, it saved our lives.
DH drives his truck.

Edit to add: DH's truck is safe to drive, the car was just better for me.
GirlWithANikon
by Platinum Member on Apr. 12, 2013 at 5:52 AM

Im not sure which is safer, probably DH's as iyt is newer and never had a single mechanical problem. Mine has had some computer issues and my seat was replaced because the heated leather shorted out. I wouldnt call it reliable though.

If it were truely unreliable my dh woould never allow me to drive it, I am positive of that.

JakesMom712
by Ruby Member on Apr. 12, 2013 at 5:53 AM
I do. Df drives a truck or his sports car.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 12, 2013 at 5:54 AM
That's crap. We only have one car, but it's a family car. It's a boring, safe 2012 dodge journey. We used to have a 4door wrangler which was more fun, but with 3 kids it wasn't practical for us.
IncognitoOne
by Ruby Member on Apr. 12, 2013 at 5:57 AM

We have 3 vehicles. One the kids CAN'T ride in....1989 Bronco II. There's a back seat, but since they're in car seats it's not big enough, lol. We both drive it, RARELY though. Just enough to keep it running properly.

Then a 2003 Honda Accord and a 2005 Honda Odyssey. We both drive them too. He drives the Accord more because it's better on gas and he works while I stay home.

I'd laugh in his face if he told me I wasn't allowed to drive a vehicle......

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)