Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Breast or bottle? HOW ABOUT BOTH!

Posted by   + Show Post
Even though breast-feeding isn't something I would ever do, I thought this was pretty cool. Medela has a new product out called calma. It's supposed be similar to breastfeeding to curb nipple confusion. I think it's pretty cool. Now mothers can work or let the other parent feed and leave bottles without the worry of their babys rejecting their nipples. Now more need to choose.

I took screenshots but they won't email to my CM photos thing lol

Edit: if you're comming here to debate breastfeeding with me, please save it. I refuse to continue to discuss something so personal with such bitchy groups of people. Have an awesome night.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 13, 2013 at 4:37 PM
Replies (441-450):
audreesmama
by on Apr. 15, 2013 at 1:43 AM
We are adults, who should be personally responsible. It is our responsibility to teach our children how to have impenetrable self esteem.

If you don't see the difference in a child and an adult, you have bigger problems.

Quoting Dolcepsle:

Acrually if self-esteem were so easily controlled there wouldn't be so many issues in the world and there would be no need for therapists. So yeah, you sure as hell can make someone feel like less than you. If you'd like to prove me wrong I dare you to tell your child every day that they are not as educated, not as bright, not as special etc as you or another child. See how well that theory of yours works out. If a child on the playground was telling your kid they were fat, ugly, stupid and so on I know darn well as a mom you wouldn't stand there and go YEP KIDDO THIS ONES ON YOU. Do yourself a favor and take responsibility for what comes out of your mouth, don't hide behind a computer screen. After all you want to do what's best for your children.

Quoting audreesmama:

I am not a doctor, so me personally doing the studies wouldn't hold much water.

'No one can make you feel inferior without your consent'. If you feel like you're less than me, that's all on you. Your self esteem is controlled by you, not me.

Quoting Dolcepsle:

So because you are under the guise of anonymity you are free to make others feel as though they are less than you. I hope your children don't get bullied from someone just like you.

What you are saying is that YOU personally did the studies? That is the question I asked after all. I didn't ask what you read other than if they were reviews. The most I have read is that there is a flaw in the marketing for such products. It may be misleading to mothers.

Plenty of people buy bottle after bottle trying to get one their child likes. Not all people are brand gullible.

Quoting audreesmama:

Actually, yes. Studies were posted many pages back. If you'd like to review them, this bottle was one of the worst. Plenty of people buy these bottles because of the brand name, and to try new products. That doesn't make them good.

This is the Internet. If you don't want to hear opinions, don't post. It's simple. If you do post, expect to hear different responses. This isn't complicated.

Quoting Dolcepsle:

I cannot believe you basically gave an excuse for why the women on here are entitled to be harsh. It was a rhetorical question meant to foster inward reflection. I read and understood what the original poster was saying. I, however, did not feel I had the right to judge her for a very personal decision. Let me reiterate.....PERSONAL DECISION! Nobody has the right to shame her or make her feel like less of a mom because she does not want to breastfeed, no matter what her reasoning is.

The short of it: SHE IS NOT TEACHING A CLASS TO NEW MOMS ABOUT THE DOWNSIDE TO BREASTFEEDING! She is stating her opinion. So it really does not matter. Maybe she thought it was a neat product. Obviously plenty of people buy them or they wouldn't exist, infact in the Azores they are quite popular. Each child responds differently to a product. What gives you the authority to state how bad these bottles are? Is it because some moms wrote bad reviews or have you done a comprehensive study on which bottles work best for breastfeeding moms who also pump? Just curious.

Quoting audreesmama:

OP claims breastfeeding is not beneficial. That is an incorrect statement. Having never breastfed and since she has no interest in ever trying, she doesn't understand how bad these bottles actually are.

Quoting Dolcepsle:

What is wrong with you women? Why do you all have to be so harsh?? Would you say this to a friend/family member or is it okay because you don't see this person as anything other than a faceless poster??

Just because you chose to breast feed it doesn't make you superior. Formula fed babies do well too. Before you judge people take inventory of your own lives.

I'm sure every single one of you who are "educated" superior moms also use only natural products, no chemicals such as hair dyes, cleaning products, nail polish, gasoline, air conditioning etc and I'm sure you only buy organic foods and don't use disposable diapers or wipes.

GET OVER YOURSELVES!!!

Sincerely,

A breast feeding mom who thinks its a disgrace that cafe mom has turned into a place to shame other moms instead of supporting them.

Chloebellesmom1
by Member on Apr. 15, 2013 at 1:46 AM

You are the one who insulted me first by saying I shouldn't have had children because I have a health condition that is well managed by medication just like diabetes. If you don't take your diabetes medication you run the risk of death correct? Well people with depression off meds run the risk of death too.

i would never harm my kids. At one point in my life i was a danger to myself. After 20 years of successful treatment, I decided the risk of possibly being in that frame of mind was not worth it.

i long for the day in which the wasn't a stigma on those who have mental health. I am a good mother and a success story for mental health treatment. I feel sorry for those who think as you do. My kids are happy, healthy and well cared for by me and have been since the day they were born.

think what you will about mental health but I suggest you rethink your position on who has children considering the statistics of people, especially women who suffer from clinical depression (the number 1 cause of suicide in this country when untreated) in this country.

audreesmama
by on Apr. 15, 2013 at 1:50 AM
I control my diabetes with diet and exercise. My exdh controls his bipolar without meds. My exmil and exfil control their depression with exercise and diet as well. You may need medication, but don't lump us all in together.

Quoting Chloebellesmom1:

You are the one who insulted me first by saying I shouldn't have had children because I have a health condition that is well managed by medication just like diabetes. If you don't take your diabetes medication you run the risk of death correct? Well people with depression off meds run the risk of death too.

i would never harm my kids. At one point in my life i was a danger to myself. After 20 years of successful treatment, I decided the risk of possibly being in that frame of mind was not worth it.

i long for the day in which the wasn't a stigma on those who have mental health. I am a good mother and a success story for mental health treatment. I feel sorry for those who think as you do. My kids are happy, healthy and well cared for by me and have been since the day they were born.

think what you will about mental health but I suggest you rethink your position on who has children considering the statistics of people, especially women who suffer from clinical depression (the number 1 cause of suicide in this country when untreated) in this country.

Dolcepsle
by Platinum Member on Apr. 15, 2013 at 1:52 AM
2 moms liked this

There should be no difference in how you treat a human being. Nobody deserves to be ridiculed or talked down to regardless of age, race, financial status, creed, sexual orientation etc. Some people have experienced abuse all their lives and were not  brought up in a home that fostered self-esteem. Clearly you weren't taught the ethic of reciprocity. If children observe a parent being judgemental and intolerant they grow to be judgemental and intolerant. It, like breastfeeding, is your choice.

Quoting audreesmama:

We are adults, who should be personally responsible. It is our responsibility to teach our children how to have impenetrable self esteem.

If you don't see the difference in a child and an adult, you have bigger problems.

Quoting Dolcepsle:

Acrually if self-esteem were so easily controlled there wouldn't be so many issues in the world and there would be no need for therapists. So yeah, you sure as hell can make someone feel like less than you. If you'd like to prove me wrong I dare you to tell your child every day that they are not as educated, not as bright, not as special etc as you or another child. See how well that theory of yours works out. If a child on the playground was telling your kid they were fat, ugly, stupid and so on I know darn well as a mom you wouldn't stand there and go YEP KIDDO THIS ONES ON YOU. Do yourself a favor and take responsibility for what comes out of your mouth, don't hide behind a computer screen. After all you want to do what's best for your children.

Quoting audreesmama:

'No one can make you feel inferior without your consent'. If you feel like you're less than me, that's all on you. Your self esteem is controlled by you, not me.

Quoting Dolcepsle:

So because you are under the guise of anonymity you are free to make others feel as though they are less than you. I hope your children don't get bullied from someone just like you.

What you are saying is that YOU personally did the studies? That is the question I asked after all. I didn't ask what you read other than if they were reviews. The most I have read is that there is a flaw in the marketing for such products. It may be misleading to mothers.

Plenty of people buy bottle after bottle trying to get one their child likes. Not all people are brand gullible.

Quoting audreesmama:

Actually, yes. Studies were posted many pages back. If you'd like to review them, this bottle was one of the worst. Plenty of people buy these bottles because of the brand name, and to try new products. That doesn't make them good.

This is the Internet. If you don't want to hear opinions, don't post. It's simple. If you do post, expect to hear different responses. This isn't complicated.

Quoting Dolcepsle:

I cannot believe you basically gave an excuse for why the women on here are entitled to be harsh. It was a rhetorical question meant to foster inward reflection. I read and understood what the original poster was saying. I, however, did not feel I had the right to judge her for a very personal decision. Let me reiterate.....PERSONAL DECISION! Nobody has the right to shame her or make her feel like less of a mom because she does not want to breastfeed, no matter what her reasoning is.

The short of it: SHE IS NOT TEACHING A CLASS TO NEW MOMS ABOUT THE DOWNSIDE TO BREASTFEEDING! She is stating her opinion. So it really does not matter. Maybe she thought it was a neat product. Obviously plenty of people buy them or they wouldn't exist, infact in the Azores they are quite popular. Each child responds differently to a product. What gives you the authority to state how bad these bottles are? Is it because some moms wrote bad reviews or have you done a comprehensive study on which bottles work best for breastfeeding moms who also pump? Just curious.

Quoting audreesmama:

OP claims breastfeeding is not beneficial. That is an incorrect statement. Having never breastfed and since she has no interest in ever trying, she doesn't understand how bad these bottles actually are.

Quoting Dolcepsle:

What is wrong with you women? Why do you all have to be so harsh?? Would you say this to a friend/family member or is it okay because you don't see this person as anything other than a faceless poster??

Just because you chose to breast feed it doesn't make you superior. Formula fed babies do well too. Before you judge people take inventory of your own lives.

I'm sure every single one of you who are "educated" superior moms also use only natural products, no chemicals such as hair dyes, cleaning products, nail polish, gasoline, air conditioning etc and I'm sure you only buy organic foods and don't use disposable diapers or wipes.

GET OVER YOURSELVES!!!

Sincerely,

A breast feeding mom who thinks its a disgrace that cafe mom has turned into a place to shame other moms instead of supporting them.

audreesmama
by on Apr. 15, 2013 at 1:54 AM
Regardless, self esteem in a child is very different from that of an adult. It's sad that you can't see the difference. I was not raised in a home that fostered self esteem, yet I grew up and didn't let the world control how I felt about myself. That is your choice as well.

Quoting Dolcepsle:

There should be no difference in how you treat a human being. Nobody deserves to be ridiculed or talked down to regardless of age, race, financial status, creed, sexual orientation etc. Some people have experienced abuse all their lives and were not  brought up in a home that fostered self-esteem. Clearly you weren't taught the ethic of reciprocity. If children observe a parent being judgemental and intolerant they grow to be judgemental and intolerant. It, like breastfeeding, is your choice.

Quoting audreesmama:

Quoting Dolcepsle:

Quoting audreesmama:

Quoting Dolcepsle:

Quoting audreesmama:

Quoting Dolcepsle:

Quoting audreesmama:

Quoting Dolcepsle:

GET OVER YOURSELVES!!!

Sincerely,

Chloebellesmom1
by Member on Apr. 15, 2013 at 1:59 AM
1 mom liked this

Good for you but just as diet and exercise does't work for all diabetics, not all people with mental health issues can go without meds. My cousin is a juvenile brittle diabetic, she would die without insulin. She can't just diet and exercise. So don't accuse me of not having my condition under control and say I shouldn't have kids because I take medication to stay a functioning productive member of society and good mother. Breast feeding isn't always a small sacrifice. And its a personal decision and if someone says it wasn't for them, maybe its because they have something else going on that's the real reason for not breastfeeding.

So while it may be a small sacrifice for you, maybe for those who don't it isn't. And ultimately in the grand scheme of things, no one is gonna know or care how your kid was fed. All it matters is they are fed and loved.

Quoting audreesmama:

I control my diabetes with diet and exercise. My exdh controls his bipolar without meds. My exmil and exfil control their depression with exercise and diet as well. You may need medication, but don't lump us all in together.

Quoting Chloebellesmom1:

crumpy_gat
by No. on Apr. 15, 2013 at 2:01 AM

I always see bottles that are "just like the breast," and yet, none of them are anything like the breast.. at all..

Dolcepsle
by Platinum Member on Apr. 15, 2013 at 2:13 AM
3 moms liked this

Don't for a moment think that anything you or anyone else says on here would cause me any mental distress. I am merely suggesting that you should not be such a bully. Apparently, your childhood hardened you to the point where you don't care how you hurt others. It's unfortunate that someone who comes from an environment where self-esteem was disregarded would think it's okay to attack others and then claim how a person was treated by others doesn't effect them. It clearly has determined how you view others.

To suggest I don't comprehend the fragility of a childs psyche is a sad attempt at a dig. Reread my statement, I did not say there was no difference, I said regardless of differences nobody deserves the treatment you think the internet so freely entitles you to.

For someone who regards themselves as informed, albeit baby bottles, you sure are clueless to how humanity thrives. Refocus your learning on something more useful than nipples. It's the person that matters in life, not your own critical agenda.

Quoting audreesmama:

Regardless, self esteem in a child is very different from that of an adult. It's sad that you can't see the difference. I was not raised in a home that fostered self esteem, yet I grew up and didn't let the world control how I felt about myself. That is your choice as well.

Quoting Dolcepsle:

Quoting audreesmama:

Quoting Dolcepsle:

Quoting audreesmama:

Quoting Dolcepsle:

Quoting audreesmama:

Quoting Dolcepsle:

Quoting audreesmama:

Quoting Dolcepsle:

GET OVER YOURSELVES!!!

Sincerely,

Anonymous
by Anonymous 45 on Apr. 15, 2013 at 3:22 AM
BU.....S!!!perfectly healthy and amazing babies come out of ff as well.. So much crap with that topic..

Quoting audreesmama:

?? Wtf? Breastfed babies tend to have higher iq's and less risk for SIDS.

Quoting ButterMeUp:

What the ones that link breast milk to obesity and brain function/IQ? Those are correlations.

Quoting audreesmama:

What about the scientifically proven benefits? Are those not worthwhile, either?

Quoting ButterMeUp:

I prefer the ease of formula (well not ease per say, there are 8 steps so it's not exactly quick and easy) and I don't PERSONALLY feel the supposed benefits of breast milk are with the hassle.

Quoting Starryeyez_01:

why is it something you would never do?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 46 on Apr. 15, 2013 at 3:41 AM
Bread cancer??? I had no idea...thanks.

Quoting ButterMeUp:

I disagree that breastmilk has anything to do with SIDs. Breastfed babies often cosleep and receive much more attention during the night than FF babies since they often NOD. The act of breastfeeding helps to curve SIDs, but so does cheaking on your baby often.

Formula feeding mothers are often impoverished, and we all know they tend to eat more unhealthily than their middle class breastfeeding counterparts. That causes the weight gain, or lack of weight loss. You also burn extra calories whille breastfeeding. Now there have been studies that link Injesting semen 3-5 times a week may also decrease chances of bread cancer. It's never been a definitive link.

Again both formula feed baby's and their mothers are often impoverished and eat cheap unhealthy meals. This causes obesity and later diabetes. There has been no definitive link between breastmilk and obesity.

When you use boiled water from a secure source, you reduce your risks linked to formula. BTW in most cases of a death or illness related to formula, it's a tainted water supply, not the formula. And just an FYI BPA has also been found in breastmilk.

I'm not going nurse just for a home remedy for pink eye. I know plenty of women who are nurseing or just delivered. Hell my sister in law pops one out every time she can.

Quoting jessi2girls:

How about the higher risk of SIDS to formula fed babies? 

The higher risk of breast cancer, osteoporosis, and obesity in the mother who formula feed? 

The risk of death by using formula because of manufacterer errors and recalls? 

How about the higher risk of diebetes? 

The higher risk of allergies to babies on formula due to open gut?

What about toxins in formula like hexane? BPA? And other dangerous ingredients linked to reproductive disorders, immune system deficiencies, and organ damage.

How about the natural immunities in breastmilk that can not be mimick by formula? 

The benefits of breastmilk when used on things like pink eye? 

Quoting ButterMeUp:

I know it's natural, but that's about it. The majority of the benefits are undifiniative links and poor correlations. I mean do you honestly think breastmilk has anything to do with life long health or brain function? It does help with ear infections. My DD never had them, so we are all good.

Quoting Starryeyez_01:

"supposed" haha...you know its beneficial, your probably just too embarrased to do it because your family or husband look down upon it or arent use to that ...you dont gotta lie...its ok

Quoting ButterMeUp:

I prefer the ease of formula (well not ease per say, there are 8 steps so it's not exactly quick and easy) and I don't PERSONALLY feel the supposed benefits of breast milk are with the hassle.

Quoting Starryeyez_01:

why is it something you would never do?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)