Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

American hoggers.. Cruel to animals?

Posted by on Apr. 14, 2013 at 2:23 PM
  • 51 Replies

I am watching this American hoggers show in a&e right now. Has anyone watched this show? This is my first time and I can't help but to feel so bad for these hogs. I just watched a mama hog get hog tied than carried by the feet upside down. Than they strapped the poor girl to the front of their jeep in a cage sort of thing. The mama had fresh nipples on her belly. 

You can hear the hogs screeching from what sounds like pain. 

Someone please explain to me what the point in this show is? 

by on Apr. 14, 2013 at 2:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
two4one
by Platinum Member on Apr. 14, 2013 at 2:24 PM

I refuse to watch it. I don't find entertainment in the pain of animals.

Chantilly1
by Gold Member on Apr. 14, 2013 at 2:29 PM

I made my dh change the channel, the dogs attacked one of the hogs and the poor hog was bleeding, he was clearly hurt and the people didn't care at all. They just tie then up and toss them in a truck :( 

my dh says it is for population control of the hogs.... :( all it did was remind me why I hate humans :(

Quoting two4one:

babyspots17
by Gold Member on Apr. 14, 2013 at 2:32 PM
3 moms liked this
I like the show and it doesn't bother me. I would guess if your land is getting ruined or livestock killed by these hogs you might change your mind.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
two4one
by Platinum Member on Apr. 14, 2013 at 2:33 PM

I understand that the hogs are nuisance but therehas to be a less cruel way of handling it. The poor things are terrorized, tied and tossed into a cage. Sickening. 

Quoting Chantilly1:

I made my dh change the channel, the dogs attacked one of the hogs and the poor hog was bleeding, he was clearly hurt and the people didn't care at all. They just tie then up and toss them in a truck :( 

my dh says it is for population control of the hogs.... :( all it did was remind me why I hate humans :(

Quoting two4one:

Peyton and Mackenzie~11/22/04

Do Not Breed or Buy Labels

carolyntx
by Gold Member on Apr. 14, 2013 at 2:36 PM
8 moms liked this
You two obviously don't live in a place overrun by hogs? They kill our pets, endanger our children, destroy crops, fenses, and property. They run in packs across roads totaling vehicles and injuring those in them. They are massively damaging the ecosystem as well and killing off native animals. They breed faster than rats also so their numbers are ever growing.

Most people (in real life) trap them or hunt them with dogs, but no they don't tie them to the hood of a car, they shoot them or cut their throat in place. I do think the fact that they haul them around like that is cruel but those who have never come face to face with a wild hog would think it cruel to just kill them so they pretend to relocate them. A friend of ours was actually approached to do one of those reality shows, he has a large dog hunting operation, he refused because taking them alive only endangers their animals and their guys.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 14, 2013 at 2:38 PM

hogs are food.. the bacon and meat you have in the store are treated way worse..

Chantilly1
by Gold Member on Apr. 14, 2013 at 2:43 PM

I don't live somewhere where there are wild animals running around. The only wild animals we have are stray cats and some rats if the neighbourhood you live in doesn't have any stray cats. 

Out in the county you might see some deer but for the most part they keep to themselves and I know we have deer season and that is meant to control deer population. 

I am still shocked that they actually made a show about this... 

Quoting carolyntx:

You two obviously don't live in a place overrun by hogs? They kill our pets, endanger our children, destroy crops, fenses, and property. They run in packs across roads totaling vehicles and injuring those in them. They are massively damaging the ecosystem as well and killing off native animals. They breed faster than rats also so their numbers are ever growing.

Most people (in real life) trap them or hunt them with dogs, but no they don't tie them to the hood of a car, they shoot them or cut their throat in place. I do think the fact that they haul them around like that is cruel but those who have never come face to face with a wild hog would think it cruel to just kill them so they pretend to relocate them. A friend of ours was actually approached to do one of those reality shows, he has a large dog hunting operation, he refused because taking them alive only endangers their animals and their guys.

Chantilly1
by Gold Member on Apr. 14, 2013 at 2:46 PM

It is my understanding that the pigs are raised on a pig farm. They are born and raised to be in my belly. When it is time they are taken to the slaughter house. 

These are wild animals being attacked by dogs than tortured by humans. And than humiliated because they are strapped to a moving vehicle. 

To each their own.. But nope not watching the show. My heart aches just thinking about it 

Quoting Anonymous:

hogs are food.. the bacon and meat you have in the store are treated way worse..

carolyntx
by Gold Member on Apr. 14, 2013 at 2:46 PM
1 mom liked this
Lol they did to entertain people who live in areas like yours! Here we kind of laugh at it because they pull out 6-8 hogs all proud of themselves like they've made a huge difference but truth is a sow will have up to 15 piglets 2-3 times per year. By the time she's having her last litter of the year her first is having babies as well. We trap thm down here in pens the size of medium sized swimming pools and they are packed full!

Quoting Chantilly1:

I don't live somewhere where there are wild animals running around. The only wild animals we have are stray cats and some rats if the neighbourhood you live in doesn't have any stray cats. 

Out in the county you might see some deer but for the most part they keep to themselves and I know we have deer season and that is meant to control deer population. 

I am still shocked that they actually made a show about this... 

Quoting carolyntx:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Zazayam
by Ruby Member on Apr. 14, 2013 at 2:48 PM

Sounds like a stupid show and I've never watched it.

Wild hogs are DANGEROUS. They can and will kill you, your pets, your livestock, they'll ruin your fields and destroy all of your crops. They breed like crazy and will completely over run an area if left alone. I assume that's the point of the show, I don't know.. All of these redneck realities are as annoying as the rest of reality tv. I know people hunt gators, I don't need a show for it. Same with crabs, hogs, tuna... lol.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)