Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

So over Disney

Posted by on Apr. 14, 2013 at 8:51 PM
  • 131 Replies
4 moms liked this

So my inlaws have been going to Disney almost every year since the 70's. Dh's nephew has only missed 3 years in the past 25 years he's been alive. Him and his fiance' are crazy about it and my husband's neice wants to get married there one day..

I went with my husband and inlaws a few months before we were married (10 years ago) and I didn't see what the big deal was about. Granted, I have never watched any of the princess movies or Dumbo etc.. when I was litte - was never interested so some of the stuff meant nothing to me. We went with the inlaws (by inlaws I mean EVERYBODY. There are about 18 of us that go) in 2008 when my boys were 3 years old and 3 months old. It was a good time, my son enjoyed himself. We went again in 2009, 2010, 2012. Last year was the breaking point.. My boys were pretty much over it and all they wanted to do was swim at the hotel.. We later got crap from the mother in law saying, "you come to disney to go to the park, not to swim. You can swim anywhere. That's ridiculous" My boys also have never gotten into the movies either. Never seen Nemo or Cars etc.. -- They could care less!

Anyway, I really have never seen people that crazy over a park. Mother in law feels that her granddaughter just looooves it so much (she's 15) we should to. My feelings are, been there done that, thank you for the trips but there is other things in life we want to see. My son is going to 3rd grade next year, he may possibly have Asperger's Syndrome - doing homework etc.. takes a long time, he can't be missing school. My mother in law is nuts! She's like, "oh, he could be out sick for 5 days it's the same thing as us going away" or "it's just 3rd grade, how hard is the curriculum?"

ugh.. sorry this is all over the place.. Just got off the phone with her and she is already hounding us to go NEXT MARCH! I told her we most likely will not be going and gave my reasons. She just says, "Well, I am sure things wil change between now and then" Um no. Thank God my husband is on board with me on this one.

by on Apr. 14, 2013 at 8:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Apr. 14, 2013 at 8:53 PM
We have been the past three years and will be going again next year
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
spunky946
by Ruby Member on Apr. 14, 2013 at 8:56 PM

We love it.  I'm sorry that you feel that way.  We went in January and are going back in October.  Have you showed the kids the movies at all?

wexfordmom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 14, 2013 at 9:01 PM

Quoting spunky946:

We love it.  I'm sorry that you feel that way.  We went in January and are going back in October.  Have you showed the kids the movies at all?

We had a good time in 2008 and 2009 but they started to peeter out after that. The boys could care less about any of the movies. Our feelings on it are -- been there, done that. My 8 year old told me recently that he loves the vacations that we take as a family - just the four of us. (Niagara Falls, Outer Banks, a lake near where we live, Clearwater FL)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 14, 2013 at 9:02 PM
7 moms liked this
You're out of your mind. Disney is freaking awesome.

And if nothing else, sounds like you are ungrateful for the FREE vacation your getting and you're teaching your kids to be the same way. I bet there are tons of moms right here on this site who would give their left arm to take their kids to Disney just once.
ChevronOwls
by on Apr. 14, 2013 at 9:05 PM
1 mom liked this
First world problems lol

Just don't go. She'll get over it. I'd go though.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 14, 2013 at 9:05 PM
1 mom liked this
Ungrateful
Redwoods_Mama
by Platinum Member on Apr. 14, 2013 at 9:05 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Anonymous:

You're out of your mind. Disney is freaking awesome.

And if nothing else, sounds like you are ungrateful for the FREE vacation your getting and you're teaching your kids to be the same way. I bet there are tons of moms right here on this site who would give their left arm to take their kids to Disney just once.

LOL, how about no.

OP, you don't want to go, don't.  I'd say suggest family friendly alternatives, but with yoru MIL I think that might turn into more shit than it is worth.

KristenFowles
by Ruby Member on Apr. 14, 2013 at 9:06 PM

I love Disney.

There is no way to be a perfect mother, and a million ways to be a good one.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 14, 2013 at 9:07 PM

Been there done that, I was not that impressed with Disney either.   Free or not, if you ar not into the hype, it's just not fun to be there.

zianneaaliyah
by 4ever LMFAO on Apr. 14, 2013 at 9:09 PM
4 moms liked this

I like Disney, but not enough to go every year. So many other great places to go in this world to just settle for a child's dream land. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN