Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Why parents need time to themselves

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 16 Replies
1 mom liked this

I was reading this book called "Wine in my Sippy Cup" by Deborah Dove (it was a freebie in Amazon's Kindle store) and this one passage towards the end stood out to me:

"The oxygen mask makes me remember the flight attendant's instructions and suddenly it's all crystal clear.  Parenting in life isn't that different from parenting on an airplane.  If you're so intent on giving your children everything they need that you forget about yourself, you won't be able to help anyone.  You've got to give yourself the oxygen first.  You have to pursue your dreams and be your own person and do what gives your life joy and meaning, or you will be an empty shell.  I realize that's what I've been doing for the past seven years.  I've been so focused on getting the oxygen to my kids that I have totally forgotten to breathe myself."

I totally believe this and live my life according to this.  I love being with my kids and spending time with them, but just because I'm a mom doesn't mean my life ended.  I still have my own interests, hobbies, and life outside of my children.  I'm not just a mom.  Being a mom isn't all that I am.  

Are you a martyr mom?

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 15, 2013 at 9:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kerannmer
by Platinum Member on Apr. 15, 2013 at 9:44 PM

Gosh, no; I get a healthy, regular dose of "me time" and I enjoy it! I don't feel guilty one bit. I don't feel like I have to be with my daughter 24/7, and I don't think it'd be healthy to do that, either. She needs time without her momma, too.

KelliansMom
by Platinum Member on Apr. 15, 2013 at 9:46 PM
1 mom liked this
I need to take care of myself mentally and physically if I want to be a good mother to my son. He also needs his time away from me :).
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Josie_P
by on Apr. 15, 2013 at 9:47 PM

Definitely not. I couldn't be even if I wanted to. 

Raeann11
by Ruby Member on Apr. 15, 2013 at 9:48 PM

She said it but I have three girls.

Quoting KelliansMom:

I need to take care of myself mentally and physically if I want to be a good mother to my son. He also needs his time away from me :).

alexsmomaubrys2
by Emerald Member on Apr. 15, 2013 at 9:50 PM

I absolutely agree with her.

We are all individuals living as a family, we all deserve to pursue our dreams and have ambitions. To have our own friends and interests. Just because we get married doesn't mean we have to lose ourselves completely.

myownparadise
by on Apr. 15, 2013 at 9:53 PM
I think that is very true. Unfortunately, I never get time for myself. With my husband working out of state for 30 days at a time, I am always with my daughters. I could really use some time alone.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Pink.Sunshine.
by on Apr. 15, 2013 at 9:53 PM

I never have "me" time. I don't know when I ever will. No one ever takes my kids. Ever.

sam12796
by Platinum Member on Apr. 15, 2013 at 9:55 PM

Nope I have girls day out with friends at least once a month, I also have my youngest in daycare half a day on one of my days off so I can have 4 hours of me time to paint,draw,  or take a bubble bath or whatever I want to do.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 25, 2013 at 8:41 AM
Bump because I think it needs to be seen by some people who want to spend money on themselves but don't because they feel guilty.
C12H22O11addict
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 8:43 AM
This:
EXACTLY

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

I absolutely agree with her.

We are all individuals living as a family, we all deserve to pursue our dreams and have ambitions. To have our own friends and interests. Just because we get married doesn't mean we have to lose ourselves completely.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN