Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

People who think that illegal immigrants don't pay taxes are idiots!- EDIT

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 312 Replies
11 moms liked this

Yes, illegal/unauthorized/undocumentedimmigrants generally pay taxes the same way you and I pay them, but usually without access to the benefits that come with being a taxpayer.

How they pay

Income Tax

Every time you receive a paycheck, you probably notice that something is missing. That’s because your employer automatically withholds federal, state, and local income taxes and Social Security and Medicare taxes. Immigrants also have money automatically deducted directly from their paychecks —even those who are here illegally. But how? Well, the Social Security Administration estimates that 75% of undocumented immigrants are actually on formal payrolls and are paid by check just like anyone else. They get on the payroll byusing fake or fraudulent social security numbers or social security numbers of the deceased, which are easily available from counterfeiters for a couple hundred dollars. A growing number of undocumented immigrants now file their income taxesusing Individual Taxpayer Identification Numbers (ITINs). ITINs are issued by the IRSfor filing purposes only and do not provide permission to work. According to the most recent estimates, at least 3 millionunauthorized immigrants filed income taxes using ITINs in 2009. (NOTE: the IRS does not report undocumented immigrants to the Department of Homeland Security.)

Sales Tax

Every time you buy something, you pay sales tax. That money goes to state and local governments. Staying at a hotel or renting a car, you pay state and local taxes. If you fill up your gas tank, you automatically pay state and federal gasoline taxes. If you buy liquor or cigarettes, you automatically pay various local, state, and federal excise taxes. Immigrants—legal and undocumented—all buy things, and thus pay these taxes as part of their purchase.

Property Tax

Local governments also collect property taxes, which are a percentage of the value of one’s home and fund services like schools, certain medical services, and police and fire stations. Immigrants—legal and unauthorized—pay these taxes directly if they own a home, or indirectly if they rent (clearly, landlords factor property taxes into rent).

Possible overpayment

Unauthorized immigrants pay into Social Security via automatic payroll deductions, but they can never claim Social Security benefits because they are here illegally and because their Social Security numbers are fake. In 2005, it was estimated that undocumented immigrants paid about $7 billion per year in Social Security taxes that they will never be able to reclaim.The Tax Policy Center estimates that 78 percent of American households that earned less than $33,000 owed no federal income taxes in 2011. Many low-income taxpayers only paid marginal amounts if they did owe. Because of their low income levels, most illegal immigrants would naturally fall into either of these categories. Many illegal immigrants don’t file, however, because they fear deportation. And if they don’t file, they are never refunded money that was automatically withheld from their paychecks. When a refund is owed but not paid out, that’s free money for the government.

Edit- I never once said that it was ok that they enter this country illegally, I do not believe they should be getting benifits for themselves but they do have american born children. I also think that once the going gets rough we blame the illegal immigrants, I know illegal immigration has always been and always will be a problem because this country is full of opportunities and freedom. When this country was booming before the war, you never saw the problem of laws being passed like the one in Arizona. I hate when people blame illegal immigration for our economy now, when illegal immigration has exsisted for so long and we did not have this problem. Blame the damn war for our economy. ( no disrespect to our American soldiers who put their lifes at risk for our freedom)

This post was made to let people know that SOME illegal immigrants do pay taxes, taxes which some never will see again.  

On another note, I do believe that many American's feel entitled I have seen it and heard it. A lot of American business owners do not just hire illegal immigrants because they accept low pay, it is also because they work hard for their money. My husband is a legal resident and came here legally, he is a concrete foreman, gets paid 25 an hour. The company he works for has people who are here illegally, they also get paid very well. These past few months they have had to let people go because of this same reason, and had to hire legal American people. Yet most of them want too much money when they do not know how to do the job, and when they have no experience yet they lie on their applications. My husband has been accused of being racist multiple times because he has fired many white men who do not want to work the long hours, or always make excuses for not going to work. I do not think this is fair either, but again this is just my opinion which I am very much entitled to have. BTW, I am not saying this is how ALL people are but some yes.

And again I do not think illegal immigrants should be here, they should try to get here legally. But the process is just so expensive and it takes years and years of waiting. This is coming from a person who has parents that once came here illegally and now are American citizens.

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 16, 2013 at 4:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
xomrs.chase
by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 4:57 AM
1 mom liked this
No sales tax here :) woo!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 16, 2013 at 5:00 AM
3 moms liked this
Get here legally and get the things citizens get, this pisses me off!!!!!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 16, 2013 at 5:02 AM
3 moms liked this
I'm not saying is right, but a lot of people say that illegal immigrants do not pay taxes. My point is they do pay taxes, it does not make what they do right.

Quoting Anonymous:

Get here legally and get the things citizens get, this pisses me off!!!!!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 16, 2013 at 5:05 AM
So true.. So true...
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 16, 2013 at 5:07 AM
19 moms liked this

and the ones that work under the table?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Apr. 16, 2013 at 5:09 AM
6 moms liked this
Probably one thing that irks me most is people complaining about not having jobs. But offer them a "lesser" job for less pay than they want and they're too good. Well this other human being that needs money is willing to do the work. If you're going to complain them be willing to do the work they'll do. Stop acting too good to work. Somebody has to do these jobs.

Sorry. That's off topic a bit. But that's all I have to add to what you've said. No arguments really.
KennyPooPoo22
by Ruby Member on Apr. 16, 2013 at 5:10 AM
27 moms liked this

Most illegal imagrents get paid cash because the employers know they are illegal. They can pay them less this way too. So no income tax.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 16, 2013 at 5:10 AM
2 moms liked this
What about the American citizens that work under the table?

Quoting Anonymous:

and the ones that work under the table?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 16, 2013 at 5:12 AM
So true some people think that because they are American citizens they deserve better jobs and better pay.

Quoting Anonymous:

Probably one thing that irks me most is people complaining about not having jobs. But offer them a "lesser" job for less pay than they want and they're too good. Well this other human being that needs money is willing to do the work. If you're going to complain them be willing to do the work they'll do. Stop acting too good to work. Somebody has to do these jobs.

Sorry. That's off topic a bit. But that's all I have to add to what you've said. No arguments really.

KennyPooPoo22
by Ruby Member on Apr. 16, 2013 at 5:13 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting Anonymous:

I agree mostly. However some jobs, such as construction companies will fire employes and hire illegal immigrants because they except a very low pay.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)