Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

**ETA** Is it ok to momentarily parent a stranger's child?

Posted by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 1:17 AM
  • 352 Replies
3 moms liked this

Mobile Photo

So lets say you're hypothetically in a grocery store. In said hypothetical store, as you're hurriedly trying to grab dinner at the busiest time of the day, 2 little boys (probably 5 and 9ish) turn the corner right in front of you... Nearly running into you. Both of them are wielding TWO giant foam swords each. An when I say wielding I mean violently thrusting, swinging, and swatting...
At this point is it ok to say something to them?? Is momentarily parenting another persons child ---A stranger's child-- ever ok?

ETA: (to cover a myriad of things brought up in comments...that I don't have time to personally address)

1- I will never correct someone else's child who is standing right there...and I expect the same courtesy. Yes, there are PLENTY of times that I wish parents would correct their child... But the key words here are THEIR CHILD. Not all parents agree on what is acceptable behavior for children.

2- Unless my children are at school or in a class at church (both instances where another adult is "in charge") I am always within earshot. Therefor, if a problem occurs I will handle it. I do not need you telling me what they did and expecting me to discipline them immediately... Nor do I need you disciplining them. Once again, our opinions probably differ on what is acceptable behavior.

3- The only time I will say anything to another child is if I am the adult in charge, the child in question is hurting someone (and even then I'm likely to say something like "be careful, you don't want someone to get hurt") or lastly, we are in a public place and there isn't a parent to be found.

by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 1:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shabbalaquita
by Gold Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 1:18 AM
Bump
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
vegaswife2011
by LMAO on Apr. 17, 2013 at 1:18 AM
3 moms liked this

I probably would, I wouldn't be mean though.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 17, 2013 at 1:18 AM
13 moms liked this
I would say atleast hey watch out.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 17, 2013 at 1:19 AM
7 moms liked this
Usually I just shoot a nasty look at the creators of the little beasts, but if my kids are involved Ill say something. Like we were at the zoo and these two kids almost knocked my two year old off of the slide and I told them they needed to chill out and take turns.
AllofFive19
by Ruby Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 1:19 AM
30 moms liked this

I don't think there's anything wrong with telling them to be careful so they don't hurt someone or something.

meaganmac
by Gold Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 1:19 AM
9 moms liked this
I would say something but I'd be nice about it. Probably something like "Careful, guys, don't want to kill anyone with those!"
Fatal_Frost
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 1:20 AM
5 moms liked this
No... I would not say anything.... the only way I'm going to "temporarily parent" someone elses kid is if they'reabout to seriously harm themself or someone else.... like the time I had to fly out of my house to catch a neighbours toddler just as he was stepping out into the street alone... horseplay in a store, unless its a house of knives store, isnt even a blip on my radar...
bustybee
by Buzz Lightyear on Apr. 17, 2013 at 1:20 AM
2 moms liked this

I would but I would only say, "boys, no swinging those swords where you can hit people please" but that would be all I would say

shabbalaquita
by Gold Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 1:20 AM
I told them to go find their mom. 2 minutes later the most angry Spanish speaking woman I've ever seen nearly but my head off.
Honestly had they not been running amuck I wouldn't have said anything.

Quoting Anonymous:

I would say atleast hey watch out.

shabbalaquita
by Gold Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 1:23 AM
1 mom liked this
There were people everywhere being ran into and hit with the swords. Not to mention some of the items on shelves being knocked down. I'd say that was a dangerous situation... What if they knocked someone over causing serious injury... A pregnant woman... And elderly person?? Idk. I guess I've just seen a lot of "accidents" in my day

Quoting Fatal_Frost:No... I would not say anything.... the only way I'm going to "temporarily parent" someone elses kid is if they'reabout to seriously harm themself or someone else.... like the time I had to fly out of my house to catch a neighbours toddler just as he was stepping out into the street alone... horseplay in a store, unless its a house of knives store, isnt even a blip on my radar...
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)