Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Poor people are fat!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

So... I went to one hospital with my mother. Very expensive, very nice hospital. 90% of the people there seemed to be about proportionate, didn't look overweight, and DEFINITELY none that were really big.

Went to the county hospital with a friend. Almost EVERYONE there was overweight, and a good number could probably be considered morbidly obese.\

Coincidence?

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 17, 2013 at 12:57 PM
Replies (241-250):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 18, 2013 at 9:07 AM

Ummm yes. Quite a while ago. What does that have to do with our day and age? Nothing.

Quoting redneckmama4:

Stupid!!

You do realize back in the day obesity was a sign of wealth?

LovelyLexy84
by Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 9:08 AM

sidesplittinglaughter

Quoting RoxStetz:

Proud mommy, you owe me a new keyboard lol!! 

Quoting proudmommy690:

Mobile Photo

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 18, 2013 at 9:13 AM

Agree.  They're working the jobs they can get rather than being able to go into a career field they enjoy ot have an interest in.

Quoting Anonymous:

Maybe.. I also think that a lot of poor people are working factory jobs, fast food, and jobs that are rather depressing. I would know lol. So a lot of times when you are unhappy in an aspect of your life you try to feel that void, and food makes a lot of people happy. Or for a moment it does anyways. 

redneckmama4
by Loree on Apr. 18, 2013 at 9:13 AM
Quoting Anonymous:

And?

You wrote the dumb troll post.

Redneck hippie mama to four rowdy farm kids. My husband has tagged along my awesome journey for 14 years this month and we enjoy the simple and natural life. Ask about my rockin' blog giveaway...check it out!!

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 18, 2013 at 9:19 AM
1 mom liked this

As long as you're happy, I think that's awesome. I'm overweight, kinda poor right now (been better off, been poorer too), and I'm attempting to quit smoking.

Cigarettes are:
$7 if I drive 20-30 minutes to get out of the county I live in (nice neighborhood)
$10 if I buy some down the street
$14 (roughly) if I buy them in the city (near the county hospital)

I can't necessarily "afford" to smoke, yet I come up with the money anyway. I realized that I'd save $1,500/year if I quit... So we'll see how this goes... I've tried many times, unsuccessfully...

Quoting heathermom77:

I am a little overweight and a smoker, yep I'm pretty poor too :) but I'm happy :)

Val99
by Ruby Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 10:13 AM

I have always read that people were considered wealthy if they were fat over 100 years ago.  It meant they had money to eat well (in abundance!) and they did not have to perform hard manual labor that burned off calories.  The times have changed now and the pendulum has swung in exactly the opposite direction with obesity being symbolic of low income.

It was also a sign of wealth to be pale.  No one with any money wanted a tan because that was symbolic of low income and working outdoors in the fields.  This thought persisted into my lifetime.  My parents had a summer beach compound in New England and my mother would be fanatical about covering my skin when outside so people wouldn't think we were poor.  That actually served me well since I have no sun damage, wrinkles, or skin cancer.

Quoting Anonymous:

And in some cultures fatter was better. Men wanted to marry fat women because it meant she could cook well, women wanted to marry fat men because they were good providers :)

Many cultures also saw fat as healthy, which made them attractive.

Quoting AussieArcana:

It's funny that you mention that, because in times bygone, the chubbier the woman, the richer.

KMichelle3190
by Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 10:40 AM
My fiancé and I are pretty close to poor, and we're both thin. Then again, he's a mixed martial artist, and I'm a fitness instructor so that could be why (:
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 14, 2013 at 11:34 AM

I think it is a CRAZY notion.  This world is just getting CRAZIER all of the time.  Our government wants to take fat kids from their parents.  Next, the government will want to take ALL fat people and put them into Concentration camps like Hitler did with the Jews.  So who cares if you are thin or fat?  It is what is inside that counts.  And--my husband, teen daughter and I are overweight but NOT fat.  Be careful how you define people who aren't PERFECT like you are.  Oh, and I am guessing that you shop Abercrombie Fitch.  Figures!!!

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 14, 2013 at 9:50 PM
Ummm what?!

Quoting Anonymous:

I think it is a CRAZY notion.  This world is just getting CRAZIER all of the time.  Our government wants to take fat kids from their parents.  Next, the government will want to take ALL fat people and put them into Concentration camps like Hitler did with the Jews.  So who cares if you are thin or fat?  It is what is inside that counts.  And--my husband, teen daughter and I are overweight but NOT fat.  Be careful how you define people who aren't PERFECT like you are.  Oh, and I am guessing that you shop Abercrombie Fitch.  Figures!!!

AmericanChild82
by on May. 14, 2013 at 9:55 PM
Wow sterotype much?! I have known my fair share of both poor and snooty rich ass holes. We are poor and not fat. About 5 minutes down the road there is a very well off family who are morbidly obese. So judge a freakin book.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)