Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions
I had a business meeting two days ago, so my DF dropped me off and took our son (almost 10 months) out to eat and then shopping at target.

My DF got stopped by security and they were questioning him if he really was his son!!!! Wtf!? Just because he's lighter than his dad?! The security said they got a complaint from some lady. My DF was kind of mad but when he told me, wow that really pissed me off!

ETA: here is all of us. I'm light and my DF is dark. Our baby is light like me. My DF said he was behaving really well.

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 17, 2013 at 6:12 PM
Replies (41-50):
jbirdsladie27
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 6:51 PM
You're welcome & good luck, your family is truly beautiful

Quoting Anonymous:

Thanks

Quoting jbirdsladie27:

Watever you're more comfortable with, if you hand write a letter, make sure you make copies.

Quoting Anonymous:

Do you think a written letter or an email would be better?

Quoting jbirdsladie27:

Yes, you can. I have no idea what they'll do. But atleast they'll know

Quoting Anonymous:

Can we do that? What will they do?

Quoting jbirdsladie27:

<•>_<•>

Did y'all make a formal complaint with Target or wherever secruity stopped them?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 17, 2013 at 6:51 PM
Thanks so much!

Quoting jbirdsladie27:

You're welcome & good luck, your family is truly beautiful

Quoting Anonymous:

Thanks

Quoting jbirdsladie27:

Watever you're more comfortable with, if you hand write a letter, make sure you make copies.

Quoting Anonymous:

Do you think a written letter or an email would be better?

Quoting jbirdsladie27:

Yes, you can. I have no idea what they'll do. But atleast they'll know

Quoting Anonymous:

Can we do that? What will they do?

Quoting jbirdsladie27:

<•>_<•>

Did y'all make a formal complaint with Target or wherever secruity stopped them?

LucyHarper
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 6:54 PM

While it's really annoying and offensive, they are doing it to try to look out for kids. If someone looks significantally different from the child they have with them, they just want to play it safe, better to ask then not to. My husband is white (well, he's actually native american but he took much more after his french side so he doesn't look it), his goddaughter is black. She doesn't have a father so he plays that role, her mother has to work hard to take care of them, so we look after her, he takes her out on little daddy daughter type things, they spend a lot of time together. Security has stopped them in the past before if they are in an area outside of our town (we live in a small town so everyone knows them), just to make sure everything was okay and that she should be with him. Yes, it's upsetting, she could just be mixed, but we let it go because they are just looking out for the kids.

MicheleJM
by Ruby Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 6:58 PM
2 moms liked this
Yeah like CPS has to investigate every complaint even if its moronic. In my town mixed families is normal...the only time I was embarrassed was assuming this older man had his daughter with him but actually she was his wife. He was 60 she was 30. I assume nothing anymore. And if I were a kidnapper I wouldnt pick a damned Target. First its crowded. Second I want Saks Fifth...somewhere the rich people go. Who can afford a ransom at Target? Lol.

Quoting southern.momof2:

I wouldn't blame security because more than likely they have to investigate all claims, even if they are absurd. The lady or whoever made the complaint is obviously a moron.

TiniMama
by Bronze Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 7:16 PM
I would just like to say that for about 6 months my brother in law watched my daughter for me while I worked. His is a very dark skinned Mexican and dd is very fair skinned. He would also have his daughter who is almost a year younger than dd. Any time he would have to go to the store with them he would get dirty looks and, on a couple of occasions, was followed around by some nosey busybody. Dd was always well behaved and followed him around saying uncle tony. Some people apparently have a hard time thinking someone with dark skin could be with a fair skinned child, nothing more to it.

Quoting gypsy.mom:

There is obviously more to this then just that, there is always more to the story. Was your child throwing a temper tantrum? Was he whining? Upset.. Etc? 

With the amount of children snatched from stores these days, then it's not strange for someone to report behavior to security that may seem suspicious to them. Like a child a different race then a man screaming/throwing a fit. 

Miss-B
by ♥Divalicious♥ on Apr. 17, 2013 at 7:17 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Wow smdm!!! That's horrible
Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Apr. 17, 2013 at 7:19 PM

wow some people

vegaswife2011
by LMAO on Apr. 17, 2013 at 7:22 PM

I'm sorry, that bs. My cousins DH is from India and she is white. A lady came up to her in Target and told her how nice it was that she adopted a baby! Idk why people feel the need to speak sometimes! :)

jesistar6910
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 7:28 PM

That has happened to me...I'm not a dark mexican, but I am not fair skinned either. DD is white as a sheet with blonde hair and blue eyes. People ask me all the time if I am her nanny, or if I am babysitting or where I adopted her from. >.<

I have been stopped by the cops before in the mall as well. It sucks.

Donna.June
by Silver Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 7:32 PM
Wow.

My sister is dark (Hispainc) and her dd is white like her dad. My neice has blonde hair and blues, my sister has dark brown hair (almost black) and dark brown eyes. She gets looks all the time when she's out with her dd. I don't think anyone has stopped her though.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)