Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I made her wear a sign *Edit*

Posted by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 8:42 PM
  • 63 Replies
5 moms liked this
My daughter has a terrible habit of going to her friends homes (gated apartment community) and begging for candy and such. She's been told so many times to stop. I caught her doing it right in front of me today.

So I made a sign that said "Please don't give me anything I ask for. I am well taken care of and my parents feed me. I just like to beg a lot". Written in English AND Spanish (more Hispanics live here). Pinned it to her shirt and made her go play outside. It may not have been the best form of discipline but I think I finally made my point. I only made her wear it for 5 minutes but she cried for 20. I know it upset her and believe me, I feel terrible but all other forms of discipline have never really worked for her as she is very defiant and stubborn. I'm waiting to see if it worked or not. I sure hope so because this was a last resort type thing.

*She's 7
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 8:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
VannaMae307
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 8:44 PM

wow. how old is she?

Mamaof3and1tobe
by Platinum Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 8:45 PM
She is 7

Quoting VannaMae307:

wow. how old is she?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mamaof3and1tobe
by Platinum Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 8:54 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 17, 2013 at 8:56 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't agree with public humiliation as punishment.

That's just terrible.
ryansmommy07
by Silver Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 8:58 PM
2 moms liked this
Why is your seven year old alone outside?

Quoting Mamaof3and1tobe:

She is 7

Quoting VannaMae307:

wow. how old is she?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
dmarie2101
by Ruby Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 8:58 PM
5 moms liked this

you could always...like...watch her and stuff. or not let her go out alone if you dont trust her to not only NOT take candy from strangers, but to actually go up to people and ask for it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 17, 2013 at 8:58 PM

so she wonders the community alone knocking on doors? maybe you should sit outside with a book or radio and watch her or something. If your child can go door to door begging without you knowing she does not have enough supervision. Maybe she should have a sign that says im out here all alone mr pedo who just answered the door. its your lucky day. 

Mamaof3and1tobe
by Platinum Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 9:00 PM
I didn't either but I also don't agree with spanking. I've taken toys away, I've not let her play outside, I have done timeouts. Like I said, it was a last resort. People would give her candy and ice cream bars and then I'd have her come home and she wouldn't eat supper.

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't agree with public humiliation as punishment.

That's just terrible.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mamaof3and1tobe
by Platinum Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 9:03 PM
She's not. I'm usually out there. If it's not me, she's with my 11 year old. If not either of us, she is with my husband. She doesn't go "door to door" she hangs out with her friends and will beg their parents that are outside.

Quoting ryansmommy07:

Why is your seven year old alone outside?

Quoting Mamaof3and1tobe:

She is 7

Quoting VannaMae307:

wow. how old is she?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mamaof3and1tobe
by Platinum Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 9:06 PM
See comment below your original one. I also work here. So she's usually tagging along with me.

Quoting Anonymous:

so she wonders the community alone knocking on doors? maybe you should sit outside with a book or radio and watch her or something. If your child can go door to door begging without you knowing she does not have enough supervision. Maybe she should have a sign that says im out here all alone mr pedo who just answered the door. its your lucky day. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured