Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

A/C - necessity or want for housing...?

Posted by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 9:57 PM
  • 128 Replies
1 mom liked this
In another post I see many people saying that A/C is a WANT not a NEED for a landlord to provide if the house doesn't have it already (or is damaged or whatever).

I'm not sure where many of these women live, but here in Texas- it's a necessity. You NEED air conditioner in the summer. Hundreds of people die in the South without air conditioner in the summer. Especially the elderly, sick and children/infants. From heat strokes or heat exhaustion.

The last 3 summers my a/c has gone out at least once. Each time the temp inside the house has gone up to 100+ degrees. Once my candles on the table started melting! I know I've lost lipstick in the past. The last 3 summers have been record highs of 100+ degrees for over 100 days (I want to say 140 was the longest stretch but I could be wrong). Some places reached over 120 and then add humidity on top of that.

So- do you think it's a WANT or NEED for air conditioner?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 9:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ghostcat90
by Bronze Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 9:59 PM

a/c is a want...llords are not required to provide it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 17, 2013 at 10:01 PM

I live in Arizona. It really depends on your home, here, I think. I grew up in a mobile home that may as well have been a tin can in a crockpot. AC was a NEED. Where I live now, I can make due with a few box fans.

kbix82
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 10:01 PM

whatsstopping you fro going and buying a wndow unit?  can take it when you leave

audreesmama
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 10:02 PM
1 mom liked this
It was a NEED for me in Connecticut, but we had to buy a window unit.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lapcounter
by Queen Mom on Apr. 17, 2013 at 10:02 PM
Want.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 17, 2013 at 10:02 PM

IMO, need!!! Gets really hot where I am as well!! As you said, people have died without it. Where I live, we have designated "safe" places. If you are homeless or don't have ac, there are places you can go to escape the heat. It can be dangerous! Also, I have read that babies who get too hot at night have a higher risk of SIDS. :/

Fields456
by Ruby Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 10:02 PM
In Texas some form of Ac is a need yet still sadly for a lot down here it is a need they don't have
MrsBridges19
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 10:02 PM

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 17, 2013 at 10:03 PM
Depends on where you live. Here in Az the summers can get up to 115 or higher.
ColleenF30
by Lube Girl on Apr. 17, 2013 at 10:03 PM

It can be a need...depends on location and medical issues.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)