Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

A/C - necessity or want for housing...?

Posted by   + Show Post
In another post I see many people saying that A/C is a WANT not a NEED for a landlord to provide if the house doesn't have it already (or is damaged or whatever).

I'm not sure where many of these women live, but here in Texas- it's a necessity. You NEED air conditioner in the summer. Hundreds of people die in the South without air conditioner in the summer. Especially the elderly, sick and children/infants. From heat strokes or heat exhaustion.

The last 3 summers my a/c has gone out at least once. Each time the temp inside the house has gone up to 100+ degrees. Once my candles on the table started melting! I know I've lost lipstick in the past. The last 3 summers have been record highs of 100+ degrees for over 100 days (I want to say 140 was the longest stretch but I could be wrong). Some places reached over 120 and then add humidity on top of that.

So- do you think it's a WANT or NEED for air conditioner?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 9:57 PM
Replies (121-128):
outtamymynd
by Ruby Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 2:13 AM
I think from the mid-west on over is a necessity. Not so much here on the west coast.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momtomiles
by Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 2:13 AM
1 mom liked this
It's a need in sc, the summers are so hot.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
nyxiemist
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 2:13 AM
1 mom liked this

I think it depends on where you live. We will be moving to where it gets in the 100's during the summers. We will need it.

SAMI_JO
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 2:16 AM
I live in Alabama and it is definately a need. Today is was 87 degrees.
CrystalPystol
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 2:16 AM

need.

RockEducation
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 2:17 AM

I think in the hot weather states it is a need. Of course, not everyone will agree. I will not live in a house without air. We just upgraded our system. If anyone is comfortable without air in the hot summer months, more power to you.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 20 on Apr. 18, 2013 at 2:24 AM
And the life expectancy was much lower. In those days, it was survival of the fittest. The elderly and young children with medical issues can easily die from the heat. Air conditioning keeps some people alive who otherwise would not survive, especiAlly before air conditioning. It is not just a luxury for all, unless you call dying from the heat as population control. Our power went out in Houston and my 4 month ended hospitalized because her body couldn't regulate her temperature in the extreme heat. So yes, people have survived for thousands of years without it, but there were also many deaths as a result.

Quoting Elyce225:

A want.  People survived for thousands of years without an air conditioner, lol.  It's a luxury.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 21 on Apr. 18, 2013 at 9:27 AM
Prisons in Texas don't have ac or fans for prisoners. The state of Texas has many prisoners die every year because of this. It's a need.

I'm sure that this is an issue in all of the southern states' prisons.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN