Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Explosion in Texas!!! Update:video!

A fertilizer plant exploded tonight and the reports I'm seeing is saying as many as 10 buildings are on fire.
People are saying they thought it was an earthquake because they felt it from 40 miles away.
Many surrounding areas are sending their first responders to help with the fires and injured but there hasn't been any confirmations on fatalities or number of injured.

Thoughts and prayers for the people of West!

If anyone has any updates please post them.

EDIT:
http://kwkt.com/news/caught-camera-fertilizer-plant-explosion-near-waco

Sorry. I don't know how to make it clicky.

Update:
The director of West EMS is confirming that he believes 60-70 dead and hundreds injured- KWTX News 10.

Update 2:
Just confirmed that 2 children were transported to McLanes children's hospital in Temple.

FEEL FREE TO POST YOUR UPDATES ON HERE WHEN YOU HAVE THEM.
I'm sure more information will come out in the morning and we'd all like to know what is happening.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 10:50 PM
Replies (21-30):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 17, 2013 at 11:07 PM

Quoting _AshlynNicole:

My sis is a firefighter and she posted it up on facebook. My thoughts are with everyone over there and I hope they get the fire controlled and everyone evacuated!

How scary. Was she on call?

amberlyp
by Gold Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 11:08 PM
Omg I live in Abilene too but am on vacation in Oregon visiting my family. Is everyone in Abilene ok?!

Quoting ChelseySpelsey:

It's a bad deal. I sure hope they get the nursing home residents out of there safely.

(I am in Abilene)
HaleyCovington
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 11:11 PM
I live in killeen and apparently they have the Killeen HAZMAT team there trying to help. We're about an hour and a half away from West I believe so I think it's really bad. My family is all about 45 minutes from west so it's blowing up my newsfeed and that's all I keep hearing is that it's really really bad and to keep the first responders in your thoughts as well. I'm even hearing they are wearing gas masks.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting _AshlynNicole:

My sis is a firefighter and she posted it up on facebook. My thoughts are with everyone over there and I hope they get the fire controlled and everyone evacuated!

nancym3
by Silver Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 11:13 PM
I'm in Killeen too!!

Quoting HaleyCovington:

I live in killeen and apparently they have the Killeen HAZMAT team there trying to help. We're about an hour and a half away from West I believe so I think it's really bad. My family is all about 45 minutes from west so it's blowing up my newsfeed and that's all I keep hearing is that it's really really bad and to keep the first responders in your thoughts as well. I'm even hearing they are wearing gas masks.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting _AshlynNicole:

nancym3
by Silver Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 11:13 PM
2 moms liked this
West is no where near Abilene.

Quoting amberlyp:

Omg I live in Abilene too but am on vacation in Oregon visiting my family. Is everyone in Abilene ok?!

Quoting ChelseySpelsey:

It's a bad deal. I sure hope they get the nursing home residents out of there safely.

(I am in Abilene)

nancym3
by Silver Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 11:15 PM
I just heard on the news they are evacuating the town now. :(

Quoting HaleyCovington:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting _AshlynNicole:

HaleyCovington
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 11:17 PM
I have no clue about fertilizer but my DH says it has the most explosive component in TNT in it so it's probably safer that way. Not to mention everything that was in that plant is now in the air. I just can't imagine.

Quoting nancym3:

Quoting HaleyCovington:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting _AshlynNicole:

baquick
by Ruby Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 11:18 PM
OMG my mom lives near there! She drives through it to come see me. I better call her.....
nancym3
by Silver Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 11:19 PM
Me either! It's terrible. They are afraid of another explosion.

Quoting HaleyCovington:

I have no clue about fertilizer but my DH says it has the most explosive component in TNT in it so it's probably safer that way. Not to mention everything that was in that plant is now in the air. I just can't imagine.

Quoting nancym3:

Quoting HaleyCovington:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting _AshlynNicole:

baquick
by Ruby Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 11:21 PM
Tha god she's fine. It's not as close as I thought. But she does have to drive through there tomorrow :-( if she can....
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN