Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Explosion in Texas!!! Update:video!

A fertilizer plant exploded tonight and the reports I'm seeing is saying as many as 10 buildings are on fire.
People are saying they thought it was an earthquake because they felt it from 40 miles away.
Many surrounding areas are sending their first responders to help with the fires and injured but there hasn't been any confirmations on fatalities or number of injured.

Thoughts and prayers for the people of West!

If anyone has any updates please post them.

EDIT:
http://kwkt.com/news/caught-camera-fertilizer-plant-explosion-near-waco

Sorry. I don't know how to make it clicky.

Update:
The director of West EMS is confirming that he believes 60-70 dead and hundreds injured- KWTX News 10.

Update 2:
Just confirmed that 2 children were transported to McLanes children's hospital in Temple.

FEEL FREE TO POST YOUR UPDATES ON HERE WHEN YOU HAVE THEM.
I'm sure more information will come out in the morning and we'd all like to know what is happening.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 10:50 PM
Replies (31-40):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 17, 2013 at 11:21 PM
Geez. I wonder if it was an accident or another terrorist attack? Wth is going on lately?? Makes me want to stay home and not go anywhere ever!
Crazy-Steph
by Ruby Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 11:22 PM
We're 60 miles away and we heard it, very loudly!
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 17, 2013 at 11:22 PM

He is right.  My Dad worked for a fertilizer company for 30 years and it is really explosive.  Many homemade bombs are made out of fertilizer.

Quoting HaleyCovington:

I have no clue about fertilizer but my DH says it has the most explosive component in TNT in it so it's probably safer that way. Not to mention everything that was in that plant is now in the air. I just can't imagine.

Quoting nancym3:

I just heard on the news they are evacuating the town now. :(

Quoting HaleyCovington:

I live in killeen and apparently they have the Killeen HAZMAT team there trying to help. We're about an hour and a half away from West I believe so I think it's really bad. My family is all about 45 minutes from west so it's blowing up my newsfeed and that's all I keep hearing is that it's really really bad and to keep the first responders in your thoughts as well. I'm even hearing they are wearing gas masks.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting _AshlynNicole:

My sis is a firefighter and she posted it up on facebook. My thoughts are with everyone over there and I hope they get the fire controlled and everyone evacuated!

How scary. Was she on call?

cjsix
by Platinum Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 11:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting HaleyCovington:

It was in the town of West. North of Waco.

Quoting nirvana78028:

Did it say what town? I'm in Dallas my daughter is in west texa right now w her dad

That's a pretty small town or was when we lived not far from there. Praying for the safety of everyone! 

Lord you know what has happened and what is needed for protection of those who were working near there,those who live close by and those who are going to help. Keep them safe Lord,protect them and guide them.

TrouserMouse
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 11:24 PM

From what I understand, fertilizer is often used to make explosives. So, it was probably just some gas build up or something that occurred from the fertilizer itself.

Quoting HaleyCovington:

I think this was an accident. At least I haven't seen anything saying other wise....
I'm hoping this is just a horrible tragedy that no one is to blame for. We've had too much intentional violence this week.

Quoting nirvana78028:

Yea I figured that out when I looked it up :) thanks. My sister is in Waco. Geez everything is blowing up

Quoting ChelseySpelsey:

It happened in West, Tx. The town is called West.

Quoting nirvana78028:

Did it say what town? I'm in Dallas my daughter is in west texa right now w her dad

jjchick75
by Gold Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 11:26 PM

It looks really bad. There are already atleast 55 people at one hospital in Waco from this. There was an apartment complex, a nursing home, and a few homes very close to the plant. This looks really bad. My husbands brother and his family lived in West for about 6 months while he was unemployed and he almost took a job at the plant before he was offered a better job in Oklahoma. Scray scary stuff! 

Razor_Leaf
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 11:26 PM

Dear God, what is this world comming too???

Prayers and thoughts with all responders and everyone affected by this....

littlecolton07
by Rebecca on Apr. 17, 2013 at 11:27 PM
Holy crap!! I hope everyone is ok. I live in Texas and this is the first I'm hearing of this.
fkh8ah
by Felicia on Apr. 17, 2013 at 11:28 PM
Fox 4 out of dallas is saying 4 fire fighters and a police officer have died :( more than 40 hurt...so sad
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 17, 2013 at 11:29 PM
So far they say at least 60 to 70 dead with hundreds more injured- rescuers have pulled back for fear of second explosion.

eTA--that is from our waco new station
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)