Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Marriage question!!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 43 Replies
My DF and I are planning on getting married at the courthouse next week.

My question is,will my name be changed automadically or will I have to do something in order to change it? I know it sounds stupid but I was told at the dmv today that just because I'm getting married doesn't mean I will have his last name?
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 18, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mama_bear77
by Silver Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 12:01 AM
well i have to go change everything myself im in texas lol i wish.it was that easy
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 18, 2013 at 12:01 AM
4 moms liked this
You have to bring the marriage license to the Social Security office and get a new ss card. Once you have that you go to the dmv and get your name changed on your id
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 18, 2013 at 12:02 AM
You have to go to the ss office and change it with your marriage certificate. After you get your ss card then you change it at the dmv.
LovelyMommy24
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 12:02 AM
Nope.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lnrmom
by Ruby Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 12:02 AM
You have to take your marriage license to the ssa office and change it there then to the dmv and change it there, then all your accounts, etc.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bauxite-17
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 12:03 AM

You have to go to the social security office, and get it changed, THEN, go to the dmv and have them change your name once you get your new social.

ColleenF30
by Lube Girl on Apr. 18, 2013 at 12:03 AM

You will have to change it with SS first, then at the DMV after you get your new card. I didn't change mine last time thankfully.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 18, 2013 at 12:04 AM
In ga, you have to go to the social security office and show them your marriage license, you also have to bring paperwork to the DMV. You need to contact your bank, credit card companies and any utility places to change your name on the account.
TrouserMouse
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 12:04 AM

You indicate on the marriage license what you will go by and then you take that to get everything changed.

The_Doodle
by Platinum Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 12:05 AM

You have to go with your marriage certificate and get a new SS card, then change your name everywhere else when you get your new card to show them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)