Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Texas Plant Explosion Injures 200, Levels Homes, Businesses UPDATED WITH VIDEO OF THE EXPLOSION!

Posted by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 12:47 AM
  • 26 Replies

Another mom posted this below but I will post it up here for anyone that wants to see it

Video of explosion (MAY NOT BE OK FOR ALL TO WATCH)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Texas Plant Explosion Injures 200, Levels Homes, Businesses

PHOTO: An explosion at fertilizer plant rocked a small Texas town near Waco Wednesday night - causing several injuries and destroying homes and vehicles, authorities said.

A fiery explosion at a Texas fertilizer plant in a small town 19 miles north of Waco has injured 200 people and destroyed dozens of homes and businesses, an emergency official said.

Of the 200 people injured near the West, Texas, plant, 40 were injured critically, Texas Department of Public Safety spokesman Gail Scarborough said.

It was unclear whether or not there were deaths.

This was a breaking news story. Please CLICK HERE for more updates.

Besides the injuries, 75 to 100 houses and business were completely destroyed in and around the plant, Scarborough said.

"It's total chaos," West City Councilwoman Cheryl Marak said, according to ABC News Radio. "There's ambulances and fire trucks and police cars from everywhere."

Marak told ABC News affiliate WFAA that the blast killed her pets and heavily damaged the local middle school.

"I was watching the flames and then it was just like a huge, huge explosion and two houses, I mean, it demolished both of those," Marak said, according to ABC News Radio. "I think everything around us is pretty much just gone."

Keith Williams, a local resident, said his house also was completely destroyed, according to ABC News Radio.

"All the ceilings are out," Williams said. "The windows are out. The brick's knocked off the house. My big garage out back is half blowed in."

He also saw "people with all their houses tore up across the street from me, on each side of me."

The West Fertilizer Plant exploded around 8 p.m. local time, and there were subsequent explosions around 10 p.m., WFAA reported. The cause of the explosions was unconfirmed, but a dispatcher was heard warning crews to move away from chemicals in unexploded tanks.

Firefighters initially went to the scene of a structure fire at the plant.

"They are still on scene, assessing the scene, treating the injuries, taking injured to the hospitals," Dani Moore, a spokeswoman for State Highway Patrol told ABC News Radio.

At least 10 buildings in the town of West were on fire, including a school located next to the plant, WFAA reported initially.

The town of West has a population of about 2,800.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
So far no confirmed dead, one person in critical condition

updated article http://abcnews.go.com/US/texas-plant-explosion-injures-200-levels-homes-businesses/story?id=18984131#.UW99l8r1b8U

by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 12:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jade_Lufercus
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 12:49 AM

That is terrible! Those poor people!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 18, 2013 at 12:50 AM
And then reloading powder is going to be found in all these bombers' homes.. tsk tsk
rvb146
by Gold Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 12:53 AM
It's such a small town and these poisons that are in the air and the risk if another explosion. People are trapped too. This is so sad.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DevinAnnesmom
by Sarah on Apr. 18, 2013 at 12:55 AM
Oh my!! That's awful!! I should really watch the news. I live relatively near there and had no clue :/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tossed
by Platinum Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 1:01 AM
1 mom liked this

I live in Waco. They estimate 60-70 deaths. Our local hospitals have over 100 getting treatment at this time; others have been diverted to urgent care clinics. There are at least a dozen in critical condition. It will be a while before the numbers can be confirmed. There were 7 firefighters in the plant fighting a fire when the explosion happened. Those 7 firefighters have not been found. Our community has turned out in droves. Several churches and schools have opened shelters. EVERY citizen of West has been asked to leave because there are toxic fumes and they are afraid there might be another explosion although the fire is believed to be out. 

snowpeasmom
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 1:06 AM

Wow thanks for the update, ABC just said there isn't any confirmed dead, which seemed odd to me. Of course only two dead in Boston also seemed relatively small for what happen too. Both are still sad....

Quoting tossed:

I live in Waco. They estimate 60-70 deaths. Our local hospitals have over 100 getting treatment at this time; others have been diverted to urgent care clinics. There are at least a dozen in critical condition. It will be a while before the numbers can be confirmed. There were 7 firefighters in the plant fighting a fire when the explosion happened. Those 7 firefighters have not been found. Our community has turned out in droves. Several churches and schools have opened shelters. EVERY citizen of West has been asked to leave because there are toxic fumes and they are afraid there might be another explosion although the fire is believed to be out. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

RMH Travel~~~Where the Real Magic Happens                         

Planning your perfect trip wheather its your first time or your 100th time, we promise to give you a magical trip.

TOP 10 REASONS TO USE A TRAVEL AGENT blog post

magicalkingdoms.com Ticker

AprilDJC
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 1:06 AM
Anybody know how the nursing home residents are? I heard it was really bad damage, part of its collapsed? Praying for everybody involved, for the families of those killed, and for all the injured and first responders. Thats got to be a tough thing to handle as well as they are.

Quoting tossed:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mlg1989
by ZombieMegg on Apr. 18, 2013 at 1:07 AM
mama2sqgl
by Bronze Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 1:15 AM
That's horrible!

Quoting mlg1989:

Video of explosion
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 18, 2013 at 1:19 AM
Omg!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)