Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Doctors are not the enemy

Posted by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 3:17 AM
  • 43 Replies
4 moms liked this

Doctors generally get into the field of medicine because they have a desire to help people. They spend hundreds of thousands of dollars and 10 years of their lives educating themselves in the healing arts.

Are they perfect, no? They are human beings like you and me. The difference is that they have the training and education that gives them a deeper insight into the human body.

Yes, there are bad doctors, just like there are bad lawyers, bad bus drivers, bad teachers, and bad cashiers. This doesn't mean they are all bad.

Yes, they are busy. They probably see 10 patients an hour. This is why it pays to be organized when you visit the doctor, so that you can tell them the most important symptoms.

Sometimes, when there is a chance that things are bad, for you, or your child, they may try to minimize your fears by saying: "It's probably nothing." This is because it might just be nothing, and they don't want you getting too worried. They won't know for sure until tests have been done.

Ultimately, the doctor is not your enemy. The doctor is your partner in ensuring the health of you and your children. To write off everything they say is mistake. If you don't get along with your doctor, find one that shares your philosophy on health and wellness (unless it's something really out there). The doctor is your friend.

by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 3:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 18, 2013 at 3:21 AM
Then i must have shirt luck the last two years. I can't find a decent doctor at all.
Allie_kat1
by Gold Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 3:22 AM
1 mom liked this
We SHOULD be able to trust that drs have the best interests of their patients at heart. Unfortunately far too often, that is not the case. Dr's now work with the fear of a lawsuit, and tend to be more worried aboutpossible liability than they are about what may actually be best for an individual patient.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DevinAnnesmom
by Sarah on Apr. 18, 2013 at 3:24 AM
I agree!! I hate when people are all like "stupid doctors don't know anything.". I love and trust my kids' dr 100%. I changed drs 4 times before I found him, but I'm thankful I did :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommyof11050307
by Platinum Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 3:25 AM
My kids ped is amazing. It took a bad apple to find them. The dr we were seeing missed the fact my son had bronchitis and not just allergies. He's lucky he didn't end up in the picu it was so bad. I found the ped through another local moms sight and I will not leave unless they close their doors. I've only had one other pratice like that and it was my old Peds office back home and he just retired. I saw him from a baby till I was 20.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jadedcynic
by Nerdalicious on Apr. 18, 2013 at 4:29 AM
2 moms liked this

I'm just tired of all of the anti-doctor rhetoric I see. Yes, the health care system is messed up, but I place the blame squarely on the shoulders of insurance companies. Insurance companies that decide to raise malpractice insurance for good doctors, which raises their overall costs. Insurance companies that tell doctors that patients can't have certain treatments.

zeenah
by Zarah on Apr. 18, 2013 at 4:33 AM

I had a doctor that just sucked! She insisted I was over feeding my dd when she was an infant. But she only ate till she was full then she would stop. She kept insisting medication for everything her reflux, a scratch on her nose when I told I won't use it unless it necessary. My dd giggled and tied playing withher and she completely ignored her.I love her new doctor to death though and she does to. There are bad apple in every profession.

ninjakids
by Christina on Apr. 18, 2013 at 4:41 AM
This (except my doctor has been my doctor since I was 4 & he does not take new patients with the exception of children of his patients). Alot of people hate my doctor, mostly because he can not write narcotics (drugs are a bigissue in that area). & before anyone jumps the gun - he lost it because he prescribed Oxicotin back before they knew it was addictive. He is even in a documentary about it (which i caught by a fluke when Ds 1 wokeup throughout the night lmao!).
He also referred me to the best ob/gyn around when he stopped delivering babies.

As for the ones who say their doctors lack empathy etc. There is a condition common in the healthcare field called Compassion Fatigue, alot of professionals suffer from it.

Quoting DevinAnnesmom:

I agree!! I hate when people are all like "stupid doctors don't know anything.". I love and trust my kids' dr 100%. I changed drs 4 times before I found him, but I'm thankful I did :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
GirlWithANikon
by Platinum Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 4:59 AM
1 mom liked this

Not that Drs are always wrong, but the health care industry is motivated by money. Most of them are not motivated by curing your butt rash. They got into that profession because of what it costs to cure a butt rash. At one point it was probably a helping profession, now it is like many jobs and driven by pay.

jadedcynic
by Nerdalicious on Apr. 18, 2013 at 5:03 AM
2 moms liked this

Again, I place this squarely on the shoulders of insurance companies.

Quoting GirlWithANikon:

Not that Drs are always wrong, but the health care industry is motivated by money. Most of them are not motivated by curing your butt rash. They got into that profession because of what it costs to cure a butt rash. At one point it was probably a helping profession, now it is like many jobs and driven by pay.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 18, 2013 at 5:05 AM

Quoting DevinAnnesmom:

So you must have thought that the first few doctors were stupid...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured