Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

READ this (and please bump it) TIP related.

Posted by   + Show Post

I thought I would break it down for you, because not everyone understands how this works. (This is meant to be helpful)

Servers base pay is usually $2.13-$2.85 per hour. Usually leaning toward to lower end. Yes, it is a federal law to taker servers pay up to min wage ($7.25 per hour) however many restaurants will alter/claim your tips are more than what they are to avoid doing this. Not all, but many.

Servers typically work at least one hour before and 2 hours after service to do side work. Side work is filling ketchup, sugar, rolling silverware, vacuuming, making the tea, cleaning the bathrooms etc etc.

In many restaurants the servers make the salads and desserts also.

At the end of the night the server is required to "tip out" the bartender, expeditor, busboy, and hostess. They typically give each of these people 1-3% of their total sales-not their total tips. Most managers will go back and check to make sure servers are properly tipping out the other people.

So when you tip a server you are supposed to give 15-20% Although many people give 10-25%.

One thing to mention-when you shaft your server. It actually costs them money. Because they will have to tap into the tips they made from other tables to tip out the way they are required to.

You are paying for the service you are using. You are using the server to bring you your food, fill your drinks etc. You get to choose how much you pay them-but it is the service you are paying for.

I hope this was helpful. NOT  meant to start a debate, not to be rude. Many people do not know these things.

by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 9:46 AM
Replies (11-20):
agrisham13mom
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 9:58 AM
2 moms liked this
Tips are NOT required and I base my tips on the service I am provided! If the server only comes minimal times to check on our table, messes up our order, doesn't have a pleasant disposition, or seems to not know what they are doing then they get a minimal tip! Good service gets good tips I don't use the 15% rule I base it on my service I receive.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
flcowgrl23
by Platinum Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 9:59 AM
Wow.

Do you not realize that some people have to take any job they can get? When you have mouths to feed you're going to take what comes your way.

Rude.

Quoting Anonymous:

Ok. Why is it my problem that their job doesn't pay enough? Why am I expected to compensate for that? They chose the job.

Donnah118
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 10:00 AM
1 mom liked this

Why don't you just get a frozen pizza and eat at home then?  Or go to Burger King or something where you serve yourself. Some people!!!

Quoting Yellowlily333:

You are paying for the service you are using. You are using the server to bring you your food, fill your drinks etc. You get to choose how much you pay them-but it is the service you are paying for.

Quoting Anonymous:

Ok. Why is it my problem that their job doesn't pay enough? Why am I expected to compensate for that? They chose the job.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 18, 2013 at 10:00 AM

I will pay a tip only if they deserve it,  I don't feel bad that they only make around $3 an hour,  they can go find another job if that doesn't suit them!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Apr. 18, 2013 at 10:01 AM

If you can afford to eat out you can afford to tip. It would be like you boss not paying you.

Quoting Anonymous:

mommytotwonow
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 10:01 AM

waiting tables can be such a good way to make great money. i was able to support myself n son on my tips for years. i hate that the government is making it so hard. pay us min wag n leave my tips alone.

Quoting Anonymous:

In my area, they tip out between 3-5% of the sales.That is the reason most places have now put the madatory grat at 18% for parties of 5-6 or more. 

The government assumes they make at least 10% of their sales in tips, so they also get red flagged for audit if they are making less. 

I have worked several places. They don't adjust your tips if you make less than minimum wage. They will fire you if they have to pay you more than once. Meaning if you don't make the minimum wage, then they figure you aren't providing adequate service and you are fired. 

There are a lot of servers that don't claim the cash tips only the credit card ones. And  now more and more restaurants are holding the credit card tips and giving it to the servers on a check. 

Just a few extra items for people who have never worked in the industry

SpnFulOfSugar
by Emerald Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 10:02 AM
1 mom liked this
Just make sure my drink is refilled in a timely manor and ill gladly top 20%
MommyLehr
by Veronica on Apr. 18, 2013 at 10:02 AM
If you have credit card tips you don't have a choice.

Quoting mommytotwonow:

thats bs! if i dont make shit i dont tip out! that is one reason i only work for family owned places. 

Quoting Anonymous:

When I worked at Applebee's there were times when a server had to pay out of pocket so they basically made negative money on their shift because people suck...

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Apr. 18, 2013 at 10:03 AM
3 moms liked this

I always always tip well.  I also tend to ask for certain servers when I go to a restaurant that I like. 

There was one time I went out to eat somewhere and realized after dinner that I had left my debit card in my car....and had ridden with a friend.  I had cash but my bill was $9.95 and I had $11.  I felt horrible.  I told the waitress that I would be back.  I went home, got my car and some cash, and went back that evening.  The waitress was so surprised to see me back there.  I gave her extra money because I felt bad.  Everytime we go to that restaurant I ask for her.  She is a spectacular server.  Last year on Mothers Day we went over there for lunch and she gave me a card. 

Yellowlily333
by Gold Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 10:03 AM
1 mom liked this
The tip is what you pay them for service. For instance if someone comes and fixes your oven, you pay them for their service. When a server brings you your food, drinks, napkins, more drinks, dessert, then cleans up your mess. You pay them for the service. Please do not take that as a rude reply.
Quoting Anonymous:

I will pay a tip only if they deserve it,  I don't feel bad that they only make around $3 an hour,  they can go find another job if that doesn't suit them!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN