Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Real MEN get married....boys just SHACK up..which do you prefer ?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 18, 2013 at 10:26 AM
Replies (41-50):
livingforthem83
by Gold Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 10:46 AM

We will be married for 8 years in julyu.

ImNotKarl
by Also Not Paul on Apr. 18, 2013 at 10:47 AM

I agree. I also have to wonder, if they are boys before the marriage, why would you marry them to begin with? I wouldn't marry a boy at all. I found a real man, "shacked up" and started a family over the last 7 years, and got married when the timing worked out and we felt like it. I would never have "shacked up" with a boy, married a boy, or had my son with a boy. I found a man for those things. lol.

Quoting SnapIt:

I guess they become men when they day I do?

Hmm

Why do so many act like boys even after those I do's?
Cant figure that one out

Quoting ImNotKarl:

Wow. I was unaware that people needed a legal contract of commitment before they entered adulthood. So I guess today CM taught me that for the males in our society, our right of passage is getting married. Learn something new every day.

My tummy had the rumblies that only hands could satisfy.
Ilaynasmommy
by Gold Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 10:47 AM
Very true.

Quoting AmaliaD:

I prefer my husband.   we "shacked up" for four years  until i said i wanted to get married.   he got a ring in a matter of weeks.    so i dont think its mutually exclusive.     young people are more likely to live together before getting married because a test run of the relationship is a very good idea.     if someone is a DB and wont marry the person they have lived with for years - they are simply a DB.    It doesnt reflect upon all unmarried living together people.     i guess the deciding factor is when one person wants marriage - how the other reacts.  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Apr. 18, 2013 at 10:48 AM
3 moms liked this

Traditional family values are eroding and we're seeing the consequences.

SpnFulOfSugar
by Emerald Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 10:49 AM
4 moms liked this
I was raised to get married before living together and having children. I wouldn't have had children with a man I wasn't married too.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
happinessforyou
by Gold Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 10:49 AM

We lived together first- so I got a "boy/man"? lol

brettsmomma
by ~Tammie~ on Apr. 18, 2013 at 10:49 AM

I agree. I personally didn't marry this husband for 7 years while we lived together. After a 13 year marriage going to shit i wanted to be sure before I walked down that aisle again. Its no ones business what a couple decides to do.

Quoting Anonymous:

It makes no sense. We fight for the right to choose, we fight for gay rights, we fight for women's rights, we fight for equality, and yet a couple who chooses not to get married gets nothing but ridicule. It's ridiculous.

Quoting brettsmomma:

Why wont some of you women just get it thru your heads that marriage is not for everyone. jeez!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Apr. 18, 2013 at 10:50 AM
You may not feel that you're shacking up, but it's exactly what you're doing.

Quoting Anonymous:

I have no interest in getting married. I was married once in the past, unfortunately my ex-husband didn't take his vows as seriously as I did. I've been with my SO for over 10 years now. We own a home, a nice car and a truck, we have 2 beautiful and planned children. I feel happy and blessed, at no time do I ever wake up and feel like I'm "shacking up" or "playing" anything. 

Marriage is a legal document. It promises legal benefits through the government, nothing more or less. It can't ensure happiness, health, wealth, love, kindness, communication, or commitment. It can't protect me from infidelity or abuse. It doesn't ensure that a couple will be good parents or even good people. That's all up to each of us as individuals and it can be done with or without a ring.

SommelierMom
by Emerald Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

Yup. Little boys and girls play house.

Married because I have more respect for myself.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Apr. 18, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Research looks at cohabitation’s negative effects

By William Harms

Couples with no intention of marrying who decide to cohabit are forming unstable living arrangements that can have negative effects on their emotional, financial and sometimes physical well-being, according to University researcher Linda Waite, Professor in Sociology.

Waite also found that these social arrangements may cause serious problems for children raised in households headed by cohabiting couples.

Waite, an expert on family life, studied census reports, the National Survey of Families and Households, the National Health and Social Life Survey and other data to appraise the costs and benefits of cohabitation. She found that men and women who cohabit are more likely than married people to experience partner abuse and infidelity and less likely to receive assistance from family members than married couples.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN