Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

have you ever written a check early?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

what i mean is say you get paid tomorrow. Will you write a check today  because you know the funds will cover it tomorrow? Curious especially this day and age where were living paycheck to paycheck.

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 18, 2013 at 11:18 AM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Apr. 18, 2013 at 11:23 AM

I know you can do that and post date it a week or so ahead of time.  I had to do that when I was out of state.  I sent my landlord his payment 2 weeks early and post dated it the 1st.  He waited until after that to cash it.  Electric company, however, did not.  The bank is not supposed to cash a check until the date written if it's post dated.  Mine did.  I had enough to cover it but they're jackwagons for allowing it.

VannaMae307
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 11:23 AM

Yes, not so much anymore, but I used to get my hair done by a friend and I would say (before she started) "would you be able to wait and cash this tomorrow"

I have never done it in a sneaky way though, I have always let them know. This was before they went electronic though. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Apr. 18, 2013 at 11:24 AM

Who writes checks anymore?

Pink.Sunshine.
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 11:25 AM

I don't mess with checks. For some reason, I've always felt more comfortable using my debit card.

itsm3
by Platinum Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 11:43 AM

i don't use checks but i post-date all of my bills (online).  i don't live paycheck to paycheck either and haven't since i was a teenager working part time.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Apr. 18, 2013 at 11:46 AM

I do at the grocery store.  There's one chain that doesn't do electronic checks and it takes about 2 days to clear the bank.  We are struggling financially right now (never been this bad off) and some weeks it's been the only way we can put food on the table.  Thankfully this rut will be over in the next couple of months.  It's incredibly stressful and just the worst feeling ever.

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Apr. 18, 2013 at 11:48 AM

I am sure I have in the past. We do not use checks anymore.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 18, 2013 at 11:49 AM

i plan on getting my prescription they called in :( i hope its safe

Quoting Anonymous:

I do at the grocery store.  There's one chain that doesn't do electronic checks and it takes about 2 days to clear the bank.  We are struggling financially right now (never been this bad off) and some weeks it's been the only way we can put food on the table.  Thankfully this rut will be over in the next couple of months.  It's incredibly stressful and just the worst feeling ever.

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Apr. 18, 2013 at 11:49 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

Who writes checks anymore?

Yeah. I haven't in years.

Marimaru
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 12:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Any banks I've been with have said they don't honor post dating, and that if it gets cashed early it's on you, not the bank.  I've not done it in probably a decade, but would only do it if I was giving the check to someone I know would wait.

Quoting Anonymous:

I know you can do that and post date it a week or so ahead of time.  I had to do that when I was out of state.  I sent my landlord his payment 2 weeks early and post dated it the 1st.  He waited until after that to cash it.  Electric company, however, did not.  The bank is not supposed to cash a check until the date written if it's post dated.  Mine did.  I had enough to cover it but they're jackwagons for allowing it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)