Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What (if anything) should I tell my roommate? edit/update

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 131 Replies
2 moms liked this

Our roommate moved in a few months ago right after his Dad died. He is understandably broken up about it. He brought an urn with his Dad's ashes in it and put it in our china cabinet since we don't use it anyway. He is gone for a few days but earlier today my son spotted the urn and he wanted to ask me what it is so he took it out of the china cabinet and and was bringing it to me to ask about it when he tripped and spilled the ashes all over the carpet. Is that normal that they are just kept loose in there? I was able to pick up probably 80% of the ashes and carefully put them back and returned the urn to its place. I explained to my son what it is and he now knows better than to touch it. He never had any intention to be naughty, he just has a curious nature and likes to ask questions. But what do I tell my roommate? I feel like we disrespected his father even though it was a complete accident. And what do I do about the ash remaining on my carpet? I can't just vacuum it up! But what other choice do I have?

edit: I don't know why the urn wasn't sealed, I've never had one before. I've never messed with this one either! My roommate probably put it there because he has no space in his room. Its very tiny and barely fits his bed and computer desk. Seems like a good place to put it anyway. I called him this morning and told him the truth about what happened and come to find its was actually his great Grandpa in there and not his Dad. He wasn't overly upset and just asked me to put as much as possible back into the urn and put it back where it was. We borrowed a small hand held vaccuum from my Mom and washed out the canister and then cleaned up the remaining ashes and returned them.

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 19, 2013 at 1:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 19, 2013 at 2:01 AM
1 mom liked this

Are you being serious right now? This seems way to much out of a movie

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Apr. 19, 2013 at 2:03 AM
4 moms liked this

I wouldn't say a word. What good will that do? Dad is dead so he won't be talking. Your son now knows better so mums the word.

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Apr. 19, 2013 at 2:04 AM
12 moms liked this

And yes, vaccuum Dad up.

Gabeys_Mommy
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 2:05 AM
Oy. I got nothin. Clean the vacuum really good, vacuum it up and put it back? Damn, I dunno.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 19, 2013 at 2:05 AM
Don't say anything.
KristenFowles
by Ruby Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 2:05 AM
I don't see why he would need to know. It would hurt him more than he already is hurting.

But, you have a little boy involved that may not be so good at keeping his mouth shut.. And I don't think asking him to lie is a good idea either..
Litlmama87
by Platinum Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 2:08 AM
3 moms liked this
Me either...

Dad just lost a little weight, that's all.

Vaccuum him up and say a quick prayer as you empty out the vacuum.

Quoting MrsDavidB25:

I wouldn't say a word. What good will that do? Dad is dead so he won't be talking. Your son now knows better so mums the word.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Keara20
by Platinum Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 2:09 AM
3 moms liked this
I can see Ben stiller doing this, I hate that guy

Quoting Anonymous:

Are you being serious right now? This seems way to much out of a movie

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 19, 2013 at 2:13 AM
2 moms liked this
Ewwwww you would be breathing in a person when the vacuum stirs up the 'dust'.

The reason I tend to not believe this post though-the urn would be sealed so it couldn't just spill. Also, your roommate would be more likely to keep it in his bedroom if he's living in someone else's house. An urn with someone's ashes in It isn't something you just stick in the china cabinet.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 19, 2013 at 3:45 AM

My son is 4 and very very honest. There is no way it won't slip out at some point, lol. It would be better to be honest just tell him as gently as I can rather than have it mentioned by accident a few weeks or months from now kwim?

Quoting KristenFowles:

I don't see why he would need to know. It would hurt him more than he already is hurting.

But, you have a little boy involved that may not be so good at keeping his mouth shut.. And I don't think asking him to lie is a good idea either..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)