Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Arizona legalities. i need info ladies

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 1:51 AM
  • 10 Replies

I have had trouble with our lease company for a while. Our landlord lives out of state and the leasing company 'takes care' of everything. or they are supposed to anyway. they do a piss poor job of even simple tasks. 

our AC went out today. 

We live in arizona. and its a summer month (its 90 in our house right now at almost 11pm!!) and its cooler outside, but of course, we dont have screens on our windows because they havent come out to put them up (we moved in here in november!!) I would open the windows anyway, except the mosquitos and june bugs are going nuts around here :( 

my question is, arent they required to send someone out NOW to fix the AC? i thought there were specific laws about air conditioners in arizona. 

or if not, what IS the time frame they must have it done? 

ive checked the lease, nothing in there says anything about it. and i suck at trying to find stuff on the web. 

can anyone answer this? 

by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 1:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Apr. 19, 2013 at 1:54 AM

Where in AZ are you? Or more importantly do you live in an upstairs apartment? I am in Yuma which is like the hottest part of the state and we haven't had our air on yet. IDK. Anyway, I don't think it has to be now. The onlt time they must come out immediately is if there is a busted water pipe or a security issue like your front door won't like for example.

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Apr. 19, 2013 at 1:55 AM

I just checked our thermostat and it was 74.

Leobaby2007
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 1:56 AM

No, I am sorry I can't help and I live in AZ as well. We have a house and I just had Simply The Best AC and heating come out to make sure my 2 units were looking good before summer.

Seeing as you lease, I think it's absolutely the responsibility of the leasing office to have it fixed ASAP. I don't see why there should even be a question of how many days. It needs fixing, and you guts rent, so THEY are responsible for it!

Good luck! Those triple digit temperature days will be here soon! Ugh!

JP-StrongForTwo
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 2:00 AM

South mountain. its south of phoenix, but still north of maricopa/casa grande. 

I dont know why its so warm in here. i guess im now cursing the excellent insulation that i thought was awesome lol. during the day we dont have it on at all. its only at night that we click it down to 72 (DD has ezcema and I have asthma and use a cpap at night, any warmer than 75 and its hard for both of us, so we sacrifice the extra cost) 

Its nice and cool outside. thats where i am right now with my lap top hoping that they will call and be able to come out tonight! they probably wont though. my mom says that for things like AC and power and water, they have 24 hours, or 48 hours she couldnt remember exactly. 

tonights gonna SUCK! ive already opened the windows in the living room (the only room that DOES have screens on the windows) and i may just sleep on the couch tonight! 

Quoting MrsDavidB25:

Where in AZ are you? Or more importantly do you live in an upstairs apartment? I am in Yuma which is like the hottest part of the state and we haven't had our air on yet. IDK. Anyway, I don't think it has to be now. The onlt time they must come out immediately is if there is a busted water pipe or a security issue like your front door won't like for example.

Autism

Char-Bear
by Gold Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 2:04 AM
When we lived there our a/c went out and they had to fix it within 24 hours. We lived in Maricopa but the leasing company was in Casa Grande so it was always a pain to get them to come out.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JP-StrongForTwo
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 2:13 AM

sounds like us. our leasing company is in mesa. grrr. 

Quoting Char-Bear:

When we lived there our a/c went out and they had to fix it within 24 hours. We lived in Maricopa but the leasing company was in Casa Grande so it was always a pain to get them to come out.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 19, 2013 at 2:14 AM
They have to provide AC BUT that may be a seasonal thing?? Have you provided a written request then had it delivered by certified mail? If not you need to do that. They have a reasonable amount of time to fix things like the AC or it canbe fixed by you then deducted from the rent BUT you have to follow proper procedure such as a request that is made in writing and that you can prove. Read the landlord tenant act and chck this out http://www.arizonatenants.com/library_compendium.htm
It's a fine line here in AZ as it is a landlord friendly state and if you do something wrong you can be held accountable such as withholding rent or a portion of to fix the unit unless you've followed the proper procedure. I would worry that while hot it isn't exceptionally warm at this time therefore AC may not be considered a must for them to provide during our winter months. Lie, I said read up on the landlord tenant act for AZ.

Quoting JP-StrongForTwo:

I have had trouble with our lease company for a while. Our landlord lives out of state and the leasing company 'takes care' of everything. or they are supposed to anyway. they do a piss poor job of even simple tasks. 

our AC went out today. 

We live in arizona. and its a summer month (its 90 in our house right now at almost 11pm!!) and its cooler outside, but of course, we dont have screens on our windows because they havent come out to put them up (we moved in here in november!!) I would open the windows anyway, except the mosquitos and june bugs are going nuts around here :( 

my question is, arent they required to send someone out NOW to fix the AC? i thought there were specific laws about air conditioners in arizona. 

ive checked the lease, nothing in there says anything about it. and i suck at trying to find stuff on the web. 

can anyone answer this? 

SnoBuny
by Ruby Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 2:16 AM
We have a fan in the window right now. We have only had our AC on a couple of times in the last few months. I'm in chandler. Read what your rights are in the landlord tenant act!

Quoting JP-StrongForTwo:

South mountain. its south of phoenix, but still north of maricopa/casa grande. 

I dont know why its so warm in here. i guess im now cursing the excellent insulation that i thought was awesome lol. during the day we dont have it on at all. its only at night that we click it down to 72 (DD has ezcema and I have asthma and use a cpap at night, any warmer than 75 and its hard for both of us, so we sacrifice the extra cost) 

Its nice and cool outside. thats where i am right now with my lap top hoping that they will call and be able to come out tonight! they probably wont though. my mom says that for things like AC and power and water, they have 24 hours, or 48 hours she couldnt remember exactly. 

tonights gonna SUCK! ive already opened the windows in the living room (the only room that DOES have screens on the windows) and i may just sleep on the couch tonight! 

Quoting MrsDavidB25:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
bjsgrl
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 2:21 AM
I'm in mesa and when we were renting, they had to come asap or pay for us to stay in a hotel.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JP-StrongForTwo
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 10:22 AM

thank you so much! yes we did notify them in writing i think. It was through their web portal with a work order submission. and i printed the work order out. 

it wasnt as bad as i was afraid it would be. it was hard to get to sleep but by morning both DD and i were sleeping soundly and comfratable. so no worries. 

Hopefully they get back to me today about it. 

Quoting Anonymous:

They have to provide AC BUT that may be a seasonal thing?? Have you provided a written request then had it delivered by certified mail? If not you need to do that. They have a reasonable amount of time to fix things like the AC or it canbe fixed by you then deducted from the rent BUT you have to follow proper procedure such as a request that is made in writing and that you can prove. Read the landlord tenant act and chck this out http://www.arizonatenants.com/library_compendium.htm
It's a fine line here in AZ as it is a landlord friendly state and if you do something wrong you can be held accountable such as withholding rent or a portion of to fix the unit unless you've followed the proper procedure. I would worry that while hot it isn't exceptionally warm at this time therefore AC may not be considered a must for them to provide during our winter months. Lie, I said read up on the landlord tenant act for AZ.

Quoting JP-StrongForTwo:

our AC went out today. 

can anyone answer this? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN