Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is it acceptable to ask my son's teacher about a parent?

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 7:26 AM
  • 209 Replies
My son's friend invited him over this afternoon. This boy came to my son's birthday last weekend, he seems like a good kid with good parents. His mom texted me and said my son could stay the night. I haven't met the mom or step dad so I said we'll play it by ear. I'm taking my son over this afternoon to meet his mom before I drop him my son off. I hadn't really planned in letting him stay all night since I don't know the family. We're new to this area and I thought I might ask the teacher about the boy's mom. Would this be ok to do? My ex husband is in jail for raping his daughter so sometimes I can be overprotective. Is it reasonable to make my son come home tonight if the mom asks him to stay? He is 7 and has never stayed at a friend's house. I don't think he would be homesick but I'm not sure I'm comfortable letting him stay the night. I'd appreciate any respectful opinions. Thanks :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 7:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jbirdsladie27
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 7:34 AM
29 moms liked this
I'd go & make friends, see how you feel and play it by ear.

Your ex is a sick bastard & I'd be overprotective too.

Good luck!!
jbirdsladie27
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 7:36 AM
3 moms liked this
P.S I wouldn't ask the teacher about the mom, I'd make my own judgements ( and I hate saying judgements bc I DESPISE judging others) but KWIM?
libramoon007
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 7:37 AM
6 moms liked this

I think I would just get to know her yourself rather take someone else's opinion. I wouldn't let your stay just yet. Not until after a couple times or at all. That is just me. I wouldn't let my daughter stay at a friends especially if you are new to the area. Kind of odd for them invite when you are so new. That is just me though. 

Jennyanne322
by Ruby Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 7:37 AM
2 moms liked this
I don't see anything wrong with it, but how much time do you really think this woman interacts with the teacher? I would probably just see how she is when you meet her.
LAXmom21
by Ruby Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 7:38 AM
2 moms liked this
I would play it by ear. Meet the mom and step dad, you'll get a gut feeling if you don't like them. I'm sure they are nice people.
I think asking the teacher would make her uncomfortable and I don't believe she'd want to say anything.
My son was about 6 or 7 when he had his first sleep over.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jbirdsladie27
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 7:38 AM
12 moms liked this
<•>_<•>
Scratches head, why is it odd to invite the new kid?

Quoting libramoon007:

I think I would just get to know her yourself rather take someone else's opinion. I wouldn't let your stay just yet. Not until after a couple times or at all. That is just me. I wouldn't let my daughter stay at a friends especially if you are new to the area. Kind of odd for them invite when you are so new. That is just me though. 

christina0607
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 7:38 AM
12 moms liked this

Why does he need to sleep over? Why not just go to the play date and end it? 

Honestly I find it odd that they would invite a child they don't know and don't know his mom. 

AmberRose1122
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 7:39 AM
4 moms liked this
I couldn't do it until I knew them well. He's only ever stayed with grandparents or my best friend.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 19, 2013 at 7:40 AM
1 mom liked this

No, it is no OK to ask the teacher. Get your parent directory, call her, and get to know her.

momo3fgr8tteens
by Ruby Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 7:40 AM
The teacher cant tell you anything about the mom that is personal and I doubt she would really know anyways.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)