Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

EDIT: Am I being unreasonable?

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 5:42 PM
  • 61 Replies

Poll

Question: Would you let DS go to the game with DH in this situation?

Options:

Yes

No

Other- please explain

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 79

View Results

My DH wants to take our 3 year old son to a baseball game. The tickets are standing room only, and the game is at the end of June (when it's crazy hot). I don't object to the baseball game thing, its the standing room only and the temperature. I think it's a dumb idea, not necessarily because it's unsafe (although my DH did already lose DS at a museum for a few minutes so I'm not thrilled about that issue) but because I think DS is going to be bored/miserable/cranky/etc. They would be going with some friends of ours, who have two kids, but they are older. I can't go because I have a conflict that day. DH thinks he should bring DS and "there is no reason he shouldn't go". So I will put it to you guys... would you send your 3 year to a game, standing room only, in 95+ degree heat, with a parent who has already lost track of them in a crowded public place once in the past? Oh, and I guess I should add that DS thus far has shown zero interest in watching baseball, even when DH is playing in the game. DH on the other hand, is a big fan.

EDIT: OK, for all those jumping down my throat about the whole "let" thing, it's a figure of speech I used for simplicity's sake. Jeez no need to be so snarky! Yes, I trust my husband with my child. If you all had read all the comments you would have seen my replies that showed that. DH takes DS on lots of trips on the weekend to various places. My issue with the game is the fact that it will be standing room only. If they had seats I really could care less about it. And to all you haters that are saying it's his child too/he doesn't need my permission/etc. do you and your spouse/SO really give each other carte blanche to do whatever you want and screw what the other person thinks about it? BTW, if I had an activity planned that DH thought was a bad idea, he would tell me he thought it was a bad idea... not just say, OK see you later. In our house we discuss things and reach a decision together, and we haven't reached a final decision on this yet. I was curious to see if I am alone in thinking this is a stupid idea, and obvioiusly I'm not. And to those who say if DS is miserable then D?H will have to deal with it, you are right, at least while he is still at the game. Then when they get home I'll have to deal with it instead, because DH will be "too tired" from dealing with DS at the game. So it won't just be his problem. Plus, who wants to make their kid be miserable if you can prevent it? I think that's just selfish.

by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 5:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 19, 2013 at 5:44 PM
4 moms liked this

Eh, let him go. Sometimes you can talk to men until your blue in the face, let him go and when DH comes home irritated because he had to entertain him and not watch the game, consider it a lesson learned.

Foleygirl24
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 6:30 PM

I'm kind of afraid he's going to lose him though. Like, get so engrossed in the game/our friends that DS will run off. Happened once already at a museum, and a game would be way more crowded. In my experience, men never learn their lesson, especially if it means admitting they were wrong! :-)

Quoting Anonymous:

Eh, let him go. Sometimes you can talk to men until your blue in the face, let him go and when DH comes home irritated because he had to entertain him and not watch the game, consider it a lesson learned.

Foleygirl24
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 6:41 PM

BUMP!

Foleygirl24
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 6:57 PM

BUMP!

Mrs.Kubalabuku
by Ruby Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 7:01 PM
1 mom liked this

Let him go.  You can't lord one time over Dad's head the rest of the kid's life.  Just send the kiddo with a hat, water, and snacks to keep him cool.

At baseball games "Standing Room Only" usually means seats on the green.  Call the stadium for more information, but when I get those tickets I sit on lush green grass with a thick blanket.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 19, 2013 at 7:02 PM
I wouldn't. My second grader just went to his first professional baseball game a few weeks ago and that was nerve wracking enough.

If you do let him go buy him a harness so they can't get separated. Actually buy one anyway since DH can't keep track of him.
Foleygirl24
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 7:03 PM

At this stadium, standing room is the pavilion around where all the food places are. There is no grassy area.

Quoting Mrs.Kubalabuku:

Let him go.  You can't lord one time over Dad's head the rest of the kid's life.  Just send the kiddo with a hat, water, and snacks to keep him cool.

At baseball games "Standing Room Only" usually means seats on the green.  Call the stadium for more information, but when I get those tickets I sit on lush green grass with a thick blanket.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 19, 2013 at 7:03 PM

personally unless he has a harness id say no

rockgal81
by Steph on Apr. 19, 2013 at 7:04 PM
I would let him go. Father-son bonding time. Who knows, your son may love it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 19, 2013 at 7:05 PM

Standing room only? I'd never take my 3 year old to that type of arrangement. Hell I'd hate that. My kid would be bored after 30 minutes.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured