Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

what does a child need to know before they start kindergarten?

My son will be turning 5 august 29th and want to know what they need to know before starting Kindergarten?   I don't want to enroll him til I know if he's ready or not

by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 7:11 PM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 19, 2013 at 7:31 PM

A LOT OF SHIT!!!!!

BlessedMom458
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 7:35 PM
Right! LOL I have had 2 of my kids go to kindergarten round up and test them out and didnt know half the crap these people are saying they need to know. I live in upstate NY. My kids knew their colors, shapes, counting to 20, ABC's the basics. They didnt know how to read very well or how to spell things. That is what they go to school for to learn. Deff do not know how to count by 5's or 10's, they learned that in 1st grade. These people are crazy lol.
Quoting fairyjester:

from what i have read on here lately pretty much what any high school student knows

Logan_Bellasmom
by Ruby Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 7:36 PM

Bella  needed to know letters, Letter sounds, Counting to 100, Writing numbers 1-30, All colors, All shapes (including cylinder,sphere,cone and cube), Address, phone number,birthday.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 19, 2013 at 7:39 PM

are you saying that there are some states that will not allow your child to start school if they don't meet certain requirements?

Quoting audreesmama:

You need to google 'kindergarten entrance requirements for (state)' because every state is different.

audreesmama
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 7:40 PM
As far as I know, they will be admitted but may be in a remedial class. There is a remedial kindergarten aka pre-k at my mom's school. They also do put some kids in preschool if they are too far behind.

Quoting Anonymous:

are you saying that there are some states that will not allow your child to start school if they don't meet certain requirements?

Quoting audreesmama:

You need to google 'kindergarten entrance requirements for (state)' because every state is different.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Elyce225
by Ruby Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 7:44 PM
My son is starting Kindergarten this August and in the packet they said he needs to know how to count to 100, know how to tie his shoes, zipper and button, know how to spell their first and last name, know the complete alphabet and how to write all of the letters, know their shapes. There are a few other small things I can't remember, I'll have to look it up again.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BlessedMom458
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 7:46 PM

1) Can my child listen to instructions and then follow them? Children need these skills to function in class, to keep up with the teacher and with their peers.

2) Is he able to put on his coat and go to the bathroom by himself? Children need to be somewhat self-sufficient by school age.

3) Can he recite the alphabet and count? Most kindergarten teachers assume that children have at least a rudimentary familiarity with the ABCs and numbers though these subjects will be covered as part of the kindergarten curriculum.

4) Can he hold a pencil? Cut with scissors? He will need these fine motor skills to begin working on writing the alphabet and to keep up with classroom projects.

5) Does he show an interest in books? Does he try to "read" a book by telling a story based on the pictures? This is a sign that his language development is on a par with other kindergartners and that he's ready to start learning how to read.

6) Is he curious and receptive to learning new things? If a child's curiosity is stronger than his fear of the unfamiliar, he will do well in school.

7) Does he get along well with other kids? Does he share and know how to take turns? He'll be interacting with other children all day, so your child's social skills are particularly important for success in school.

8) Can he work together with others as part of a group? The ability to put his needs second, to compromise and join in a consensus with other children, is also part of emotional competence.

This is basic stuff they will evaluate them on. Others are all a plus. 2 out of 3 of my kids went to preschool headstart prgrams. My daughter is in it now. My oldest went to headstart and did fine in kindergarten, but not he was on level. My middle son didnt go to headstart or preschool and just knew the basics and he did awesome and was top of his class on reading, math and spelling. So it all depends on your child. My daughter has been in headstart for 2 years now and still dont knwo all her alphabet by sight let alone write her name, she knows how to say her first and last name (last name is hard and no one says it right). but not anything like some of these people are saying. 

AugustMomma
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 7:50 PM
Something I would have never guess is how to use scissors. It's amazing how many children in my son's k class do not know how to properly use scissors. Otherwise everything else listed.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
June3May4June3
by Silver Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 7:52 PM

My dd went to pre-k before she went to kindergarten. By the time she was done with pre-k she could:

write her name

say the alphabet

knew letter sounds

could count to 100 by 1's, 5's and 10's

she knew the alphabet by sight

she knew basic colors and shapes

she was starting sight words

she was also doing basic addition and subtraction

That's the basic stuff they learned at her school. she is in kindergarten now and in the gifted program. Her older sister didn't know all of this by the time she got out of pre-k and is still struggling in 2nd grade. She is improving a lot though thankfully. Her kindergarten teacher was amazing and had her almost completely caught up by the end of the year.

June3May4June3
by Silver Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 7:55 PM

Quoting BlessedMom458:

Right! LOL I have had 2 of my kids go to kindergarten round up and test them out and didnt know half the crap these people are saying they need to know. I live in upstate NY. My kids knew their colors, shapes, counting to 20, ABC's the basics. They didnt know how to read very well or how to spell things. That is what they go to school for to learn. Deff do not know how to count by 5's or 10's, they learned that in 1st grade. These people are crazy lol.
Quoting fairyjester:

from what i have read on here lately pretty much what any high school student knows

My older dd HAD to be able to count to 100 by 5's and 10's. Every school is different though.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)