Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My husband has no sympathy

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Ever since Monday my husband has been making jokes about the bombing. "Eh, at least they bombed the losers, not the winners", "The Boston accent must have literally driven them to insanity", etc. He made fun of me for crying when I found out about it. Tonight when I was watching the coverage he said "aren't you sick of this crap yet?".

I just don't understand how someone can not feel an ounce of sympathy for these people. If you don't want to watch the news coverage, fine, but making fun of the victims is taking it WAY too far.
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 19, 2013 at 11:51 PM
Replies (21-30):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 20, 2013 at 12:01 AM
No. Sadly, I never really thought about it. I just thought his personality was kinda jerky (which we've had many fights over). I just shoot him dirty looks when he makes stupid tasteless jokes.

Quoting KristenFowles:

Really? hmm..

Have you confronted him?

Quoting Anonymous:

Maybe, but when I think back I don't think I've ever seen him show sympathy in the 12 years I've known him.

Quoting KristenFowles:

Everyone handles tragedy differently.. It's probably easier for him to laugh than really think about it..

KristenFowles
by Ruby Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 12:02 AM

I'd say something..

"Do you really hear what you're saying?"

Quoting Anonymous:

No. Sadly, I never really thought about it. I just thought his personality was kinda jerky (which we've had many fights over). I just shoot him dirty looks when he makes stupid tasteless jokes.

Quoting KristenFowles:

Really? hmm..

Have you confronted him?

Quoting Anonymous:

Maybe, but when I think back I don't think I've ever seen him show sympathy in the 12 years I've known him.

Quoting KristenFowles:

Everyone handles tragedy differently.. It's probably easier for him to laugh than really think about it..

There is no way to be a perfect mother, and a million ways to be a good one.

eblstanford03
by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 12:03 AM

THIS

Quoting KristenFowles:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 20, 2013 at 12:03 AM
You're not alone. My husband is the same way. He has been making jokes, commenting about how everybody should get over it and move on already, etc... He says murder happens every day and this is no different, that he has his own problems to worry about. I brought up to him that it's not right to make jokes about it and that he should remember that could have happened to any one of us (our dd is 8 too so I used that as well to make my point). He said he understands that but he doesn't want to live his life feeling sympathy for everyone else:/ When I explained to him that I have family and friends in Boston that could have been hurt or worse, he began showing a little bit of sympathy but not much. I think my biggest issue with his attitude about it is that he shows it in front of my dd and she asked me tonight why he doesn't care that other people died. I guess I'm lucky she takes after me and can feel something about it. So I understand completely.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 20, 2013 at 12:04 AM
I get that. They interrupted my general hospital too :-/ If he's annoyed by the news coverage I understand, but the jokes are unnecessary.

Quoting AliKatAK47:

I am sorry but I am quite tired of the coverage being on every channel all the time as well. I actually did want to watch Jeopardy today. I wanted to get my 70 year old lady on but the coverage cancelled it. It was sad but playing it over and over again isn't making it less sad.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Apr. 20, 2013 at 12:05 AM
Sounds like it is his way of handling this type of things. you said in the 12 years he has never shown sympathy... men don't react the same way as women.
AliKatAK47
by Meanie Pants on Apr. 20, 2013 at 12:06 AM
He has a morbid sense of humor. You married him knowing that. Its not that he has no sympathy. He just doesn't show it like you do.

Quoting Anonymous:

I get that. They interrupted my general hospital too :-/ If he's annoyed by the news coverage I understand, but the jokes are unnecessary.

Quoting AliKatAK47:

I am sorry but I am quite tired of the coverage being on every channel all the time as well. I actually did want to watch Jeopardy today. I wanted to get my 70 year old lady on but the coverage cancelled it. It was sad but playing it over and over again isn't making it less sad.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Apr. 20, 2013 at 12:07 AM

Your husband sounds like a dink.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 20, 2013 at 12:08 AM
Upsetting news never bothers him. If it doesn't directly affect him, he doesn't care.
If someone close to him dies, he can't cope. He's literally inconsolable.

Quoting Anonymous:

How does he normally handle upseting news? How does he handle deaths in the family? How does he expres other emotions?

My husband handles this by being alone fixing something.

Quoting Anonymous:

I guess it's possible. It just really upsets me to hear him talking like that.

Quoting Anonymous:

Is it possible that jokes are his way of coping with his emtions? Men are not always good with expressing themselves the way we think they should.
sadiebug1228
by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 12:09 AM
That might be his way of dealing with it. He might not mean to be mean or insensitive about it but its his way of coping
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)