Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My husband has no sympathy

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Ever since Monday my husband has been making jokes about the bombing. "Eh, at least they bombed the losers, not the winners", "The Boston accent must have literally driven them to insanity", etc. He made fun of me for crying when I found out about it. Tonight when I was watching the coverage he said "aren't you sick of this crap yet?".

I just don't understand how someone can not feel an ounce of sympathy for these people. If you don't want to watch the news coverage, fine, but making fun of the victims is taking it WAY too far.
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 19, 2013 at 11:51 PM
Replies (31-40):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 20, 2013 at 12:09 AM
I know :'(

Quoting tarakay0417:

Your husband is an asshole. A child died.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 20, 2013 at 12:09 AM
I didn't realize it before I married him.

Quoting TerraIncognita:

I ccouldnt marry someone who doesn't have compassion.
raye-chan
by Raye on Apr. 20, 2013 at 12:10 AM
That's wrong of him to make jokes like that. I get that each person handles that differently but that's rather rude of him to say to you. Next time he starts in, see if asking him to quit being rude like that will make him be quiet. Sorry hon
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Apr. 20, 2013 at 12:10 AM
He sounds like a heartless bastard
Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Apr. 20, 2013 at 12:11 AM
That would so be my dh he could careless about what happens to other people as long as it don't happen to his family.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 20, 2013 at 12:12 AM
I am guessin he juzt doesnt know how to show his feeling in the "correct" way. I think its had a big impact on him than you think.

Quoting Anonymous:

Upsetting news never bothers him. If it doesn't directly affect him, he doesn't care.

If someone close to him dies, he can't cope. He's literally inconsolable.

Quoting Anonymous:

How does he normally handle upseting news? How does he handle deaths in the family? How does he expres other emotions?

My husband handles this by being alone fixing something.

Quoting Anonymous:

I guess it's possible. It just really upsets me to hear him talking like that.

Quoting Anonymous:

Is it possible that jokes are his way of coping with his emtions? Men are not always good with expressing themselves the way we think they should.
Mrs.Torres2566
by Mrs.T on Apr. 20, 2013 at 12:13 AM

Wow...

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 20, 2013 at 12:14 AM
I'm sorry :/

Quoting Anonymous:

You're not alone. My husband is the same way. He has been making jokes, commenting about how everybody should get over it and move on already, etc... He says murder happens every day and this is no different, that he has his own problems to worry about. I brought up to him that it's not right to make jokes about it and that he should remember that could have happened to any one of us (our dd is 8 too so I used that as well to make my point). He said he understands that but he doesn't want to live his life feeling sympathy for everyone else:/ When I explained to him that I have family and friends in Boston that could have been hurt or worse, he began showing a little bit of sympathy but not much. I think my biggest issue with his attitude about it is that he shows it in front of my dd and she asked me tonight why he doesn't care that other people died. I guess I'm lucky she takes after me and can feel something about it. So I understand completely.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Apr. 20, 2013 at 12:15 AM
While his jokes were tasteless, I get annoyed by the Boston accent too. I'm from N.Y. so I might be a little biased. Its CAR not caa
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 20, 2013 at 12:15 AM
Oh, I know. That's why it never really occurred to me to be upset by it. To me, this is taking it a bit too far.

Quoting Anonymous:

Sounds like it is his way of handling this type of things. you said in the 12 years he has never shown sympathy... men don't react the same way as women.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)