Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is your child buckled up on the way to school?

Posted by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 12:12 AM
  • 46 Replies

Poll

Question: Do your kids ride on a school bus without seat belts?

Options:

Yes they ride on a bus without seat belts

They ride a bus with seat belts

They do not ride the bus

I don't have kids that are in the age group to ride a school bus

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 69

View Results

I find it strange that if I were to be pulled over and my kids (3, 6 and 7) were unrestrained I would be ticketed or worse. 

With that said, they can ride on a school bus without a seatbelt. Keep in mind they travel 12 miles to school and the bus goes 55 mph down the highway.

Do your kids ride on a school bus without seat belts?

by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 12:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 20, 2013 at 12:13 AM
I've always wondered why there aren't seatbelts. I'd be interested to see some data.
Teacher101
by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 12:14 AM

The three-year-old will ride next year. He will still be three, but will ride on the bus with his siblings to pre-k.

KristenFowles
by Ruby Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 12:14 AM

When my son was in PreK.. he was in a 5 point harness on the bus.

When he went into Kindergarten, he rode like allll the other kids.  No seatbelt.

There is no way to be a perfect mother, and a million ways to be a good one.

Kylie819
by Gold Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 12:15 AM
My 11-year-old rides in the back seat in a seatbelt 100% of the time. Frankly, I'm taken aback that anyone would not make their kids buckle up...especially with all of the information and resources available these days.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Jamie1972
by Ruby Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 12:15 AM

here where i live in SoCal only the older buses dont have seatbelts. since late 90s early 00s i think, all busses come with seatbelts.

bcoll
by Brandi on Apr. 20, 2013 at 12:15 AM

My children do not ride the bus. The elementary school is a mile away (I drive them), the middle school is half that, and they walk. Two will start highschool in the fall which is even closer. But in the car every kid is buckled, every time.

BeAmour
by Tonya on Apr. 20, 2013 at 12:16 AM
That's why DS will NOT be riding a school bus! I've always been bothered by this, even growing up.

They say distracted drivers are the worst, right?

So, you have 50 unrestrained kids being loud on a bus, distracting the driver.....TOTALLY safe!!!
Kaybean
by Ruby Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 12:17 AM
1 mom liked this
The reason why buses usually don't use seat belts is because without proper use, they do more harm than good and buses are also designed not to need seat belts. That's why the seats go up as high as they do. If it were my choice, would want them to require seat belts and make sure they are used correctly.
gma12.1
by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 12:17 AM

The Twins go to HS and no seatbelts on their bus. Youngest rides SpEd bus it has seatbelts, the other elementary buses don't have seatbelts.

lovevamp
by Bronze Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 12:17 AM
Quoting Anonymous:

I've always wondered why there aren't seatbelts. I'd be interested to see some data.
I've always wondered too
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)