Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Has anyone ever done anything this impulsive?

Posted by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 10:57 AM
  • 95 Replies
2 moms liked this

I was thinking of selling all our stuff and moving to Mexico. We don't have much, but both vehicles are paid for and it would be enough to get down there and live for a few months. 

DH's family is there. His father isn't well. He wants to spend time with him and this may be his only chance. It isn't like we are doing so wonderful here. Besides my family and school, I really don't have any attachments here. 

I have looked into schools, there are some good universities. There is a private American school but I can't find anything about cost. I am educated enough to school my kids if that doesn't work out. We wouldn't be there forever, maybe a couple years. 

I haven't brought it up to dh yet, but I'm sure he would be thrilled. He hasn't seen his family in over ten years. We all have passports and could go at anytime. 

Just visiting isn't an option because we just don't have the money. We have been trying for years to save enough to go down there, but when you live paycheck to paycheck it is difficult. As soon as we get a little money built up, something always seems to come up. 

I don't know if it is the right thing to do or not, but I'm not sure that is even the point. Regardless of material items, which have never meant much to me anyway, DH needs time with his family before it's too late. We have been living next to my family for ten years, I think it's his turn. 

by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 10:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 20, 2013 at 10:59 AM
2 moms liked this

I'd never move to Mexico.... So no.

Buggy979
by Platinum Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 10:59 AM
Ya I would never do it. Why can't he go by himself to visit? I think it's a bit drastic. My opinion
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nichole0403
by Silver Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 11:00 AM
1 mom liked this
I say go for it! You only have one life
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 20, 2013 at 11:00 AM

It's a big decision and it seems like its more based on wanting to escape your life and start new. Just really think and talk to him about it. See what his take would be.

I didn't have any attachments in the U.S. and I left to be with my now husband to Japan. Best decision I ever made.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 20, 2013 at 11:01 AM
I am definitely an impulsive, spur of the moment type person, but moving out of country on impulse is not something I would do.

I dont think you legally can anyways, wouldnt you have to apply for a visa or something if you plan on living there? Unless you go illegally (which is ironic lol) I would think you would have to get permission to live there and not just visit, which would take time
N_maricle
by Gold Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 11:03 AM
3 moms liked this
Way too dangerous there. Kidnappings, murders, you name it. The police are all in with the cartel. Los zetas. So no, I don't even visit there.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lovinmama411
by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 11:03 AM

That is money too. Not nearly as much, but at least $1000. That doesn't include his lost wages IF his job would let him off for a few days or a week. And I'm not sure a week would be sufficient. It would be hard for him to go for a week and leave them not knowing when he could get back.

It is drastic, but likely temporary. I think aside from the fact that he should get time with his family, the experience particularly for the kids would be a great one. Like I said, there just isn't much here for us right now. Life is boring. Mundane. Not saying it wouldn't be down there because I have no idea, but it would be worth the risk.

Quoting Buggy979:

Ya I would never do it. Why can't he go by himself to visit? I think it's a bit drastic. My opinion

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 20, 2013 at 11:05 AM
Go for it. Make sure you talk to his family first and that you have a safe place to stay.
RachelsMercy
by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 11:05 AM

I want to do this same thing but instead of Mexico I want to move to New Zealand.

lovinmama411
by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 11:05 AM

I've looked into that too. We could go just on a visitor's visa for six months then renew. If we wanted to get residence, it wouldn't be too bad considering DH is a Mexican citizen. It would take time but it isn't something we would have to secure before we left. The visitor's visa would suffice for quite some time.

Quoting Anonymous:

I am definitely an impulsive, spur of the moment type person, but moving out of country on impulse is not something I would do.

I dont think you legally can anyways, wouldnt you have to apply for a visa or something if you plan on living there? Unless you go illegally (which is ironic lol) I would think you would have to get permission to live there and not just visit, which would take time

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured