Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you let your kids take what they want?*ETA

Posted by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 1:28 PM
  • 87 Replies

Are your kids allowed free range of the kitchen? I always keep bananas, water bottles, string cheese, apple sauce, and other healthy snacks within the kids' reach and they are allowed these things whenever they feel they are hungry. Junk snacks like juice, chips, popcorn, and candy are kept on a high shelf and they need to ask for those.

So are your children allowed to take what they want from the kitchen, or do you have strict rules/set times for snacks? 

I have noticed a lot of people saying no becasue they don't think their child should be eating all day long. 

I do not know how it is in other households, but in mine my kids will eat breakfast then sometime around 10:30 they are a little hungry so they will grab a banana or some grapes. They will eat their lunch just fine and a few hours later want something more before dinner (a couple hours before). They do NOT eat constantly throughout the day. So I am not worried about them eating all of the snacks the second I bring them home from the store. They just nibble when they are feeling a little hungry. 

My kids are both pretty small for their ages. They eat pretty healthy and make good choices when it comes to their snacks. 

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

save the date

by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 1:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
VannaMae307
by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 1:31 PM

No, because I have a baby gate up, the basement door is in the kitchen. I don't need him going down there. It is also to block the chihuahua from the cat food.

The pantry is in the hallway and he sometimes scrounges around and will ask me to make what he finds. I usually do.

christina0607
by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 1:31 PM
3 moms liked this

Absolutely not. I'm still teaching healthy eating habits. One that I think is probably the most important habit...it's ok to be hungry.

I see this everywhere I go. Kids being brought snacks for trips to super markets, kids have snacks 2-3 times at school. Before and after sporting events...and even during. After school snacks. Driving in the car snacks....It leaves me wondering when kids get the chance to be hungry? No wonder we have a weight issue in this country. 

So no I absolutely do not allow constant eating in our home. 

moosesmom
by Ruby Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 1:32 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes. Our situation is like yours. If they're hungry they can help themselves. It's their home also.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
frankiesma530
by Platinum Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 1:32 PM

nope

ambermarie2006
by Gold Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 1:33 PM
They know when snack time is (they are older) so they help themselves out of their fridge. I keep it stocked with snacks for them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Hannahluvsdogs
by Ruby Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 1:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, but I also don't buy junk food.

audreesmama
by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 1:34 PM
This. Lots of fruits and veggies and healthy snacks, no junk food crap.

Quoting Hannahluvsdogs:

Yes, but I also don't buy junk food.

Pnukey
by Jenn on Apr. 20, 2013 at 1:34 PM

Yep. If they are hungry, they eat. However, they are 7 and 13. They haven't had to ask for snacks since they were tall enough to reach them.

Kaybean
by Ruby Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 1:34 PM
Nope, my boys are required to ask for food. Healthy or not, they will not be given permission to just help themselves. For example, if dinner is 15 min away from being done, they are not going to be filling up on snacks and then not want dinner.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 20, 2013 at 1:34 PM
No. My kids would eat an entire package of string cheese in an hour if i did that. We eat as a family 3 times a day and they get 2 snacks. They get to choose.

They choose their snack not the family meals just to clarify
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)