Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

door passes *piog*

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 16 Replies

Where I live, it is safe for me to send my children outside to play without my having to go outside with them; I stay where I can monitor their behavior and their comings and goings.  HOWEVER:

They come in ALL THE TIME!!!  I get fed up with them coming in to tattle that this one isn't doing what I told them to do b/c the other one isn't doing what I told them to do, etc, etc.  And my three older children complain openly about who's going to watch their little brother.

PS: all the children are mine and DH's, so there's no step- rivalries or favoritism going on.  No favoritism anyway, I'm equally pissed with all of them, even the LO has his moments.

Advice, experience, stories, anything and everything welcome.
One exception: I will not dignify with a response replies which incinuate (sp) that letting my children play outside without me is unsafe b/c they are totally safe where we live.

My current remedy is door passes.  The older kids get two to use for either bathroom or water; they give them to me upon entering the house.  My LO also has two; his are for water and he gets unlimited potty trips.

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 20, 2013 at 2:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Livv066
by Silver Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 2:47 PM
How old are they? Tell them the next time they come, they have to scrub the toliets. Lol.
I grew up in the country, & we weren't allowed inside until the sun went down. Unless it was for bathroom breaks. Lunch was eaten outside.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 20, 2013 at 2:50 PM

How about telling them not to tattle and if they insist on doing so they will spend time in their rooms instead of outside.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 20, 2013 at 2:50 PM

They shouldn't have to babysit a younger sibling because you are too lazy to go watch him. If he is not able to play outside without someone watching him then you need to be the one outside.

Roxygurl
by Emerald Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 2:53 PM
The kids the kids are going through a tattle phase and when they start I hold my hand up for them to stop talking And then I ask

Did he/she hurt you?

When they answer no I say

Then I don't want to hear it. You work it out amongst yourselves.

That's helped cut down on the tattling.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 20, 2013 at 2:53 PM

Their ages range from teen down to preschooler.

Me too.  If we came in, and we weren't bleeding, we wished we were (or our ears were, figuratively) by the time we got back outside. lol  Except we ate lunch inside; although IDK why, it was usually just PB&J sandwiches.  Even bathroom breaks, though, my s-m rathered we went in the woods. lol

Yeah, I like the toilet thing. lol

Quoting Livv066:

How old are they? Tell them the next time they come, they have to scrub the toliets. Lol.
I grew up in the country, & we weren't allowed inside until the sun went down. Unless it was for bathroom breaks. Lunch was eaten outside.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 20, 2013 at 2:55 PM

They'd rather be in their rooms.  Otherwise, I'd use that.

When I was a kid I RATHERED be outside.  Although there was nothing to do in my room.  We had to make up things like using our bedsheets to make tents and such on rainy days b/c my s-m would get fed up with us and couldn't send us outside.

Quoting Anonymous:

How about telling them not to tattle and if they insist on doing so they will spend time in their rooms instead of outside.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 20, 2013 at 2:56 PM

Just so everyone knows, this is the kind of reply I'm not going to dignify with a response.

@ Anon: thanks for the example.  You're job is done. <re>

Quoting Anonymous:

They shouldn't have to babysit a younger sibling because you are too lazy to go watch him. If he is not able to play outside without someone watching him then you need to be the one outside.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 20, 2013 at 2:57 PM

Then find something they won't like. I think someone else suggested toilet scrubbing.

Or get them to garden.

Never too early to exploit your kids energy!

Quoting Anonymous:

They'd rather be in their rooms.  Otherwise, I'd use that.

When I was a kid I RATHERED be outside.  Although there was nothing to do in my room.  We had to make up things like using our bedsheets to make tents and such on rainy days b/c my s-m would get fed up with us and couldn't send us outside.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 20, 2013 at 3:00 PM

I used to think I was being disrespectful not to hear them out (even if what they were saying was horse puckey).  I'm rethinking that.  Thanks for the advice!!! :-)

Quoting Roxygurl:

The kids the kids are going through a tattle phase and when they start I hold my hand up for them to stop talking And then I ask

Did he/she hurt you?

When they answer no I say

Then I don't want to hear it. You work it out amongst yourselves.

That's helped cut down on the tattling.

PinkButterfly66
by Emerald Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 3:02 PM

When I was a kid, my mom used to lock us outside sometimes because of all the in and out stuff.  We were in a fenced in back yard.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)