Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is he starting to get too big for this car seat?

Posted by   + Show Post

His feet can lie flat against the cars seat. I am a first time mom and didnt know to get a convertable car seat because they are bigger :-\ He is only 18lbs but I'm worried about his legs if we were to crash. Should I get another car seat??
He will stay rear facing and I know the straps are too loose in this picture. They have started loosenimg on their own for some reason so I have to find the receipt and return it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 4:33 PM
Replies (21-30):
flcowgrl23
by Platinum Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 4:43 PM
I would get a convertible, make sure he stays rear facing until the max height/weight limit though. And I wouldn't worry about his legs. Ds1 prefers rear facing bc fwd isn't comfortable for his legs, plus rear is so much safer. I'd rather my kid have broken legs than a snapped neck.
MzShorty787
by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 4:45 PM
They do have the bigger car seats that u can face backwards. Mind u a lot of them r big and bulky but still if u r That worried it couldn't hurt to get one and just face it backwards. Some even recline, I'd say get one that reclines.
bear.katten
by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 5:14 PM
He will definitely stay rear facing I'm just concerned about the size of the carset. I think it hold 30lbs but it seems like he'd be beyond cramped by then!

Quoting sallyblueeyes:

His legs are fine. When he his the weight limit or has less than one inch of hard Shell above his head is when he has out grown it and you'll need a convertible, but should still keep him rear facing

bear.katten
by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 5:20 PM
The straps keep loosening? I'm not sure if there is a lock we dont have on in the back or what? I have to remember to retighten them every time we put him back in.

Quoting Anonymous:

I would just go ahead and upgrade.

And make sure his chest clips are arm out level and the straps need to be a tad tighter.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Apr. 20, 2013 at 5:23 PM
1 mom liked this
His feet are still probably going to touch the car seat in a convertible since he should still be rear facing.
bear.katten
by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 5:24 PM
He is buckled into the seat. We have a rental until Monday because DF hit a deer. The base is in our car because someone forgot to take it out before it was towed.

Quoting DevonD83:

I cant tell to well from the pic but is the seat in a base or just buckled in just the seat?

avulgamo
by Silver Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 5:27 PM
Was the car seat in the car during the accident? If so, you'll want to replace it anyways.

Quoting bear.katten:

He is buckled into the seat. We have a rental until Monday because DF hit a deer. The base is in our car because someone forgot to take it out before it was towed.

Quoting DevonD83:

I cant tell to well from the pic but is the seat in a base or just buckled in just the seat?

bear.katten
by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 5:29 PM
No just the base. He was coming home from work at 3:30am.

Quoting avulgamo:

Was the car seat in the car during the accident? If so, you'll want to replace it anyways.

Quoting bear.katten:

Quoting DevonD83:

wkukid
by Beach Bum on Apr. 20, 2013 at 5:31 PM
1 mom liked this

I would replace it based on this.

Quoting bear.katten:

The straps keep loosening? I'm not sure if there is a lock we dont have on in the back or what? I have to remember to retighten them every time we put him back in.

Quoting Anonymous:

I would just go ahead and upgrade.

And make sure his chest clips are arm out level and the straps need to be a tad tighter.

stargazerwolf
by Silver Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 5:32 PM
1 mom liked this

I'd go ahead and get a convertible car seat. He'll be out of it soon. We went and got a convertible car seat when our daughter was about 10 months. I liked the regular infant seat that fits in the stroller and could come out of the car until about then because she was getting so heavy after that. She hadn't hit the height or weight requirements yet, but we'd have to get a new one in the next few months anyway. She will be a year on May 4th and probably isn't 20 lbs yet, but is tall. She of course will be staying rear facing probably til 2ish depending on her size. The convertible car seats are big and bulky but we'll never have to buy her another one so worth it :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)