Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is he starting to get too big for this car seat?

Posted by   + Show Post

His feet can lie flat against the cars seat. I am a first time mom and didnt know to get a convertable car seat because they are bigger :-\ He is only 18lbs but I'm worried about his legs if we were to crash. Should I get another car seat??
He will stay rear facing and I know the straps are too loose in this picture. They have started loosenimg on their own for some reason so I have to find the receipt and return it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 4:33 PM
Replies (31-39):
DevonD83
by Silver Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 5:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Ok just checking.. someone posted one the other day with it buckled with the base that is a big no no, didnt think it was on a base though but thought better safe than sorry to ask. My infant seats are rated up to 32lbs and 32in and another was rated higher I think, I just gave it away yesterday because a local army wife had her baby a bit early and they didnt have a seat yet and the hospital wouldnt let them take the baby without one

Quoting bear.katten:

He is buckled into the seat. We have a rental until Monday because DF hit a deer. The base is in our car because someone forgot to take it out before it was towed.

Quoting DevonD83:

I cant tell to well from the pic but is the seat in a base or just buckled in just the seat?

mommyoflittles
by Gold Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 5:45 PM
the chest clip should be ar armpit level. if it is to low it could really hurt or kill your baby. please make the straps tighter. if they do not tighten or keep coming lose time for a new carseat. it will not protect your baby. plus he is very cute
bear.katten
by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 6:49 PM
1 mom liked this
Lol when you asked me that I was thinking "The car buckle goes into the base though..." You saw someone buckle the seat and base through the actual car seat? o_O

Quoting DevonD83:

Ok just checking.. someone posted one the other day with it buckled with the base that is a big no no, didnt think it was on a base though but thought better safe than sorry to ask. My infant seats are rated up to 32lbs and 32in and another was rated higher I think, I just gave it away yesterday because a local army wife had her baby a bit early and they didnt have a seat yet and the hospital wouldnt let them take the baby without one

Quoting bear.katten:

He is buckled into the seat. We have a rental until Monday because DF hit a deer. The base is in our car because someone forgot to take it out before it was towed.

Quoting DevonD83:

I cant tell to well from the pic but is the seat in a base or just buckled in just the seat?

DevonD83
by Silver Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 6:57 PM

Yes.. asking if it was in right.. i hope they were joking but man I have seen some doozy's.. watched a lady carry her baby and set and base attached through the hospital... saw a lady clip her tiny babies carseat to the front seat part of the BRU cart.. it is not supposed to be up there and I guess she didnt know or care, the seat was hooked to the metal back but there was a good 5-6 in gap between the bottom of the seat and the handle it was just hanging there.. I was soooooo appalled and seriously wanted to go say something or slap her but I just stood back and watched her walk around pulling the cart with her baby levitating.

Quoting bear.katten:

Lol when you asked me that I was thinking "The car buckle goes into the base though..." You saw someone buckle the seat and base through the actual car seat? o_O

Quoting DevonD83:

Quoting bear.katten:

Quoting DevonD83:

bear.katten
by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 7:06 PM
I hate seeing people put carseats in shopping carts! Its so unsafe. My son always went in the big compartment and we used 2 carts or I had his carrier.
The other lady had to be kidding about the carseat though.. Who straps a car seat in likr that??

Quoting DevonD83:

Yes.. asking if it was in right.. i hope they were joking but man I have seen some doozy's.. watched a lady carry her baby and set and base attached through the hospital... saw a lady clip her tiny babies carseat to the front seat part of the BRU cart.. it is not supposed to be up there and I guess she didnt know or care, the seat was hooked to the metal back but there was a good 5-6 in gap between the bottom of the seat and the handle it was just hanging there.. I was soooooo appalled and seriously wanted to go say something or slap her but I just stood back and watched her walk around pulling the cart with her baby levitating.

Quoting bear.katten:

Quoting DevonD83:

Quoting bear.katten:

Quoting DevonD83:

Pooobaihr
by Platinum Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 7:07 PM

He's fine as of right now, but yes.

Benjamins-mama
by Platinum Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 7:08 PM

his legs are just fine.   go by height and weight.  if hes getting to the borderline, you can go to convertible seat. would suggest to rear face until at least 2 as it is safer for baby

usmcwifey11
by Platinum Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 7:10 PM

Quoting thePBandJmom:

He's getting there. He is to big for this seat when he reaches the weight limit or when he has less than one inch of hard plastic shell above his head. Leg length has nothing to do with it and he is safer rear facing even if his legs do touch the seat.

DevonD83
by Silver Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 7:19 PM

Man I hope so.. if she really didnt know that I would be worried.. when I left the hospital with my 5th of 6 kids they said you have to stop by the nurses station and show us the baby in the carseat before you can leave, I was like why? she said so we can make sure you put her in right.. I said she is my 5th I got this.. but we stopped and the nurses were all shocked and said it was the first time they didnt have to fix something.. I just laughed and walked out. When my kids are tiny or cant set I usually bring my carrier, one day my daughter wanted to wear it so I put it on her and she walked around the store people kept stopping asking if it was a real baby and saying how cute it was..

Quoting bear.katten:

I hate seeing people put carseats in shopping carts! Its so unsafe. My son always went in the big compartment and we used 2 carts or I had his carrier.
The other lady had to be kidding about the carseat though.. Who straps a car seat in likr that??

Quoting DevonD83:

Quoting bear.katten:

Quoting DevonD83:

Quoting bear.katten:

Quoting DevonD83:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)