Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My daughter is an entitled brat.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 95 Replies
3 moms liked this

At least today she acted that way.  She is almost 13.  She told me she needs new clothes for summer. I said "Ok, let's hit up some thrift stores first, and if you don't see anything you like, we can go to oldnavy since I have a coupon."  She likes one thrift store, called "value village", and she likes another called "platos closet", and has gotten things there before.  I was planning on this being a fun day with my daughter to go shopping together, and go lots of places and shop around.  This time I wanted to check out goodwill, which was the opposite direction and a good 30 minutes from my house.  It's in a very nice area and they have very nice clothes.  It's not run down and it's practically a new store.  Well, we pulled up to it and she says "We are coming HERE? Uh, no, I am NOT going in there. That's for poor people!"  I said "No, this is for people who refuse to pay $25 for a t-shirt just because it has some name brand logo on it.  Here you can get the same shirt for $4 and you can't tell any difference.  This place is just like the other place you like, works the same way."  She flat out refused.  I said "look at that teen girl walking out, with her aeropostale hoodie on. Does she look poor? Look at those people with a lexus, look at the nice cars in this parking lot. People who come here are not poor."  She refused again.  I said "Will you not even give it a chance? Just come in with me for 5 minutes and let's see if you like anything.  Then we'll go somewhere else."  She refused.  So I told her if she is going to act this spoiled and entitled, don't ask me for any more clothes for the rest of the summer because I don't want to hear it.  She is cleaning right now to pay me back for all my gas and time I spent to try to make her happy today.  Unbelieveably pompous ridiculous behavior from her today.  I am not going to encourage the entitlement. 

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 20, 2013 at 4:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
.strawberry.
by Gold Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 4:46 PM
3 moms liked this

Well, I say good for you,  but I'm sure you'll just be bashed by people for shopping at those places.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 20, 2013 at 4:46 PM

Good work. I had a neighbor who bragged about her 6 year old refusing to wear wal-mart bought socks. That she was "too good" for their school uniforms.
0.o

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 20, 2013 at 4:48 PM

Quoting .strawberry.:

Well, I say good for you,  but I'm sure you'll just be bashed by people for shopping at those places.

thank you. It disturbs me that she is embarassed so easily. she needs to get over herself.  maybe when she has her own money she will understand.

pbjtime87
by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 4:49 PM
3 moms liked this
Quoting Anonymous:

Good work. I had a neighbor who bragged about her 6 year old refusing to wear wal-mart bought socks. That she was "too good" for their school uniforms.0.o

Funny you should mention that... I just bought my son 6 pairs of sock from Walmart for 2.50... Oh yeah... Score!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 20, 2013 at 4:50 PM
6 moms liked this
I'm with your daughter on this one. You didn't waste your gas trying to make her happy, you went somewhere she hated and got mad that she expressed her feelings. Why not just go to old navy with your coupons?
MichelleSw
by CoolStory on Apr. 20, 2013 at 4:51 PM
2 moms liked this

OH HELL NO!!! She would have regretted that severely. That would be the only place I would allow her to shop period and volunteer until that attitude changed. As well as no luxuries. That's a disgusting quality to have.

audreesmama
by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 4:52 PM
13 moms liked this
When her daughter gets a job, she can choose where to shop and can pay for it. Until then, she can take what is given to her and not act obnoxiously.

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm with your daughter on this one. You didn't waste your gas trying to make her happy, you went somewhere she hated and got mad that she expressed her feelings. Why not just go to old navy with your coupons?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
20Keller12
by Gold Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 4:54 PM
Oh yeah. Make her earn money for clothes. I'm a lot more careful about it now I pay for everything on my own.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting .strawberry.:

thank you. It disturbs me that she is embarassed so easily. she needs to get over herself.  maybe when she has her own money she will understand.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 20, 2013 at 4:54 PM
3 moms liked this

Quoting Anonymous:

yes I did waste my gas. I drove an hour to and from the store. I went there because it's a very nice area with nice clothes. I did not jump all over her when she refused. I had a calm conversation with her. I said just come inside for 5 minutes and give it a chance.. if you don't like it we will go somewhere else.  I told her I was planning on going to oldnavy with her after we try the thriftstores first, if she didn't like anything there. I think I was perfectly reasonable.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 20, 2013 at 4:56 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting MichelleSw:

OH HELL NO!!! She would have regretted that severely. That would be the only place I would allow her to shop period and volunteer until that attitude changed. As well as no luxuries. That's a disgusting quality to have.

hey...that is a GREAT idea.  Have her volunteer there. I was looking for something productive for her to do over the summer anyway, since she gets bored.  thanks for that!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)