Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So We Listen to WHO and AAP For Breast Feeding Guidelines....

Posted by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 9:48 AM
  • 74 Replies
3 moms liked this

....but they are trashed when we talk about vaccinations.

So which is it?  Are they trusted sources of professional medical information or do we pick and choose when they have expertise?

by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 9:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 21, 2013 at 9:51 AM

Pick and choose.  They are error prone.  For, example, extended rear facing has been widely known to be safer for over 50 years, yet the AAP has only begun to recognize this in their policy statements.  

romalove
by SakePrincess on Apr. 21, 2013 at 9:51 AM

Bumping because I wanna know lol

romalove
by SakePrincess on Apr. 21, 2013 at 9:51 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

Pick and choose.  They are error prone.  For, example, extended rear facing has been widely known to be safer for over 50 years, yet the AAP has only begun to recognize this in their policy statements.  

Thanks for your response.

So how do you know what to pick and what to choose?

SadiasMomma
by Gold Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 9:53 AM
2 moms liked this
I listen to my maternal instincts lol I have no idea who those organizations are and what they preach.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
romalove
by SakePrincess on Apr. 21, 2013 at 9:54 AM

Quoting SadiasMomma:

I listen to my maternal instincts lol I have no idea who those organizations are and what they preach.

WHO is the World Health Organization

and 

AAP is the American Academy of Pediatrics

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 21, 2013 at 9:54 AM
2 moms liked this

Review the literature and research yourself, is the only way.  Always seek the answer for, "why"?

Quoting romalove:

Quoting Anonymous:

MIA0223
by Ruby Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 9:54 AM
I listen to the Holy Quran for my breastfeeding guidelines.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pce68
by Patti on Apr. 21, 2013 at 9:55 AM

Ignore all the haters and do what you think is  best. Listen to your pedi and any other "experts" and do your own research and then do what you feel is best. 

romalove
by SakePrincess on Apr. 21, 2013 at 9:56 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting Anonymous:

Review the literature and research yourself, is the only way.  Always seek the answer for, "why"?

Quoting romalove:

Quoting Anonymous:

I think if you want to, that's fine.  I also think it's hard to know what is good or bad information since most people do their searches online and there are tons of sites that give what I would think is bad information.

If you don't want to listen to these sorts of health groups, that's your prerogative.

I am fascinated that people are citing AAP and WHO in the extended breastfeeding thread but will decry them as worthless in the vaccination threads.

Either they are good sources of information or not.  And if you are picking and choosing from them, you're really not using them for information but for backup for what you've chosen from other sources, which I think is disingenuous.

You being the generic you, of course.

almondpigeon
by Ruby Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 9:56 AM
This...I go with what makes sense to me & what works for our family.

Quoting SadiasMomma:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured