Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Should I marry him or not?

Posted by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 10:07 AM
  • 22 Replies
My fiance and I are thinking of doing a small court marriage before I deploy. But I'm a bit iffy about it because I feel like the big wedding ceremony (which will be once I return from deployment) will not be that special if we are already legally married. :/

Anyone got a court wedding before having the big ceremony?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 10:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AF_Petite
by Bronze Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 10:10 AM
Bump!
lucky2Beeme
by Ruby Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 10:11 AM
1 mom liked this

Hold off go with your gut. There is absolutely no nreason to rush it. Have the day you've dreamed of.

MIA0223
by Emerald Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 10:12 AM
Don't rush.
That was our plan. Court and then do a big party. 7 years later, it never happened :/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
scarletmeshell
by Platinum Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 10:13 AM

Why don't you wait? What is the reasoning to get married before you leave?

audreesmama
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 10:13 AM
1 mom liked this
Yes, we did a court ceremony first. I worked 75 hours a week and didn't have time to plan a wedding or go on a honeymoon. We had a real wedding a few years later.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 21, 2013 at 10:13 AM
1 mom liked this
I think it's good, he can work on adding you as a dependent while he's deployed. You can get benefits quicker. You'll also be the first person notified when something happens.

Eta- sorry missed the part where you were the AD one
AF_Petite
by Bronze Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 10:15 AM
I'm actually the one deploying. He's no longer military. And yes, we are thinking more of this because of the benefits and the extra money we could use for the wedding.

Quoting Anonymous:

I think it's good, he can work on adding you as a dependent while he's deployed. You can get benefits quicker. You'll also be the first person notified when something happens.

Eta- sorry missed the part where you were the AD one
AF_Petite
by Bronze Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 10:18 AM
Well he's worried, in case something happens to me while I'm there..

Quoting scarletmeshell:

Why don't you wait? What is the reasoning to get married before you leave?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 21, 2013 at 10:18 AM

my BIL and SIL did, and then they kept the first ceremony a secret from everyone but their parents until after the "real" wedding.  a lot of people were pretty pissed off to find out they were already married and they were expected to attend this big dog and pony show for pretty much nothing.  it's really not too exciting to see two married people marry each other again.  a five or ten year vow renewal?  sure.  a "big" wedding (which is really a big gift grab) after being married for a year?  tacky as hell.

sexy_with_7
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 10:18 AM

this is so funny a friend of mine just told me she did this back in January. Her husband is going to Florida and they were already planning on getting married in August. So to get the housing they went and got married at the courthouse and will have a big ceremony in August

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)