Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I know not all Hispanics are rude however...........

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 95 Replies

Please do not look at my 6 year old like he is stupid just for saying hi and what his name is.  He likes to make new friends.  

We were at a Taqueria eating lunchyesterday before we took the kids to see theCroods (which was a great movie)  We were almost done eating whenanother Hispanic family came in and sat in the booth behind us.  Well, hubby went to go dump our trays and my son said hello to the children in the booth.  They just looked at each other and then looked at him like he was crazy.  So of course I told him to turn around and not speak to anyone, then the Dad looked at me like I was crazy.  

I told my husband about it when we left and he said a lot (not all) of Hispanics are like that. Which I brought up the lady at the other Mexican store we go to, she is so sweet.  I truly felt like an outsider in that taqueria and will not be going back.  Then again I was the only white person.  

I am sure I should not have let him turn in his seat to say hello, but they did not have their food yet and no one was speaking.  So I figured it was not a big deal.  

Hubby even said the athmosphere was off.  So he does not want to go back either.  

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 21, 2013 at 11:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CamMa
by Gold Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 11:34 AM
:(
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 21, 2013 at 11:35 AM
5 moms liked this
Maybe they didn't speak english and were confused?
BeAuTiFuL.BLiSs
by Platinum Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 11:36 AM

My son would have reacted about the same. He wouldn't have looked at him like he was crazy. Lol. But, he wouldn't get the reaction he was looking for. He gets shy whenever someone he doesn't know starts talking to him. Hell, he does it at times when he sees a kid from school (and they say hi to him) when we are out.

areles
by Platinum Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 11:36 AM
3 moms liked this
'I'm not racist, but'
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 21, 2013 at 11:36 AM

I thought about that.  However, hello is pretty generic.  Also, the children should at least be in public school.  (I would imagine) we are in Ks. If that makes a difference. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Maybe they didn't speak english and were confused?

LucyHarper
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 11:37 AM

It has nothing to do with being Hispanic, my son probably would have reacted the same way if someone turned around and said that. He's not rude, he's five, shy, and has been taught not to talk to strangers so its strange to him when others do it. They also might not speak English. I think you're being really rude for saying things like this. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 21, 2013 at 11:37 AM
1 mom liked this
Umm a lot of people are like that, not just Hispanics, blacks m, insert race...
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 21, 2013 at 11:37 AM

Are you implying that I am racist?  

Quoting areles:

'I'm not racist, but'

Sunshine257
by Ruby Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 11:38 AM
I am sorry but your dh's comment was racist. Most people will give you funny looks if your child is talking to them over a booth. I am sure some don't but that isn't a Hispanic thing that is a people thing.
ChrissyReznor
by Platinum Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 11:38 AM
1 mom liked this
Not all PEOPLE in general are friendly. Everyone in the world is different.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured