Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

"Unnatural" Modifications

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 92 Replies

If you have any "unnatrual" modifications, and by that I mean a hair color that someone wouldn't be born or facial piercing, gauged ears, visable tattoos or piercings, do you find it more difficult to find employment? When you go to work do you take out your piercings? 

I have a friend with blonde and blue hair, she had it through high school and college, sometimes changing the colors but one always being "unnatural" color and she thinks that's why she has not found a job.

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 21, 2013 at 11:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MorganTho
by Silver Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 11:38 AM
I *think* I was denied a job because of a tattoo but they never said. Universal studios won't hire you with any visible tattoos even if the uniform covers them. Otherwise when I'm done with school I won't touch up my blue streaks.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OwlNuggets
by HAIL NUGGY! on Apr. 21, 2013 at 11:38 AM
5 moms liked this

There is still a workplace attire code that is unspoken but understood by all.

A college graduate with purple hair applying for a job at a marketing firm is going to get turned away. End of story. If she wants to be taken seriously, she needs to quit coloring her hair like a clown. 

norwgnwood
by Platinum Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 11:38 AM
Duh. I can't take an adult with blue hair seriously. When I was a kid I dyed my hair all different colors but then I grew up.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 21, 2013 at 11:42 AM

I have refused employment to those who would not work with our conservative customers.  During the interview I ensure the applicant has "natural" hair color, even if dyed, and no visible tattoos or piecings other than earings in the earlobes.

If someone comes in that I can tell won't work with the customers, I shuffle them out quickly and they go right in the "no way" pile.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 21, 2013 at 11:43 AM
1 mom liked this

Right at this current moment, I have purple streaks in my hair, I also have a tongue piercing, 2 eyebrow piercings, and a nose piercing, also I have 2 medium sized tattoos on my upper arms.  I have never had a problem getting a job.  I am a therapist and none of my clients have a problem with my "unnatural" modifications, neither do any of my bosses.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Apr. 21, 2013 at 11:44 AM

It probaby was because of her "unnatural" hair color. She either gets a job in a place that promotes these things, like a tattoo shop etc 

OR

grow up and be an adult with normal hair 

IndigoRose
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 11:44 AM

Quoting OwlNuggets:

There is still a workplace attire code that is unspoken but understood by all.

A college graduate with purple hair applying for a job at a marketing firm is going to get turned away. End of story. If she wants to be taken seriously, she needs to quit coloring her hair like a clown. 

Many places won't hire you if you have visible tattoos, facial piercing or unatural hair color, especially professional offices and banks won't.

IndigoRose
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 11:46 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

It probaby was because of her "unnatural" hair color. She either gets a job in a place that promotes these things, like a tattoo shop etc 

OR

grow up and be an adult with normal hair 

Or, she could get a wig or pin in those vividly colored streaks of artificial hair.

OwlNuggets
by HAIL NUGGY! on Apr. 21, 2013 at 11:47 AM

By the way, I have a ton of tattoos and a bunch of piercings and prefer to color my hair fire-engine red.
However.
I am a SAHM and it's not a big deal.
If I wanted to get a job in the real world, I'd certainly cover it all up and color my hair a more professional color 

kzuehlk
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 11:48 AM
I have an eye brow ring, 5 piercings in one ear, and 7 in the other. I work in health care and have never had a problem finding a job
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN