Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I eavesdrop on people when they speak spanish

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I dont.look soanish at all.light skin and light hair. But i understand every word of spanish. I love to listen to peoples conversations. Its like my own private secret noone knows unless i tell people. 

I love it. 

Its not like i do itintentionally but when you understand you just naturallyl listen. 

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 21, 2013 at 12:38 PM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 21, 2013 at 12:52 PM

Do I look Spanish?

MrS.GiFFord
by Platinum Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 12:53 PM
Fuck. I knew it. Those assholes! Lol. Its why I never go....so paranoid.

Quoting areles:

haha! it IS! i had a good relationship with my nail girl years ago and she would always translate their conversations for me. 'when you think we're talking about you, we ARE!' haha.

Quoting Anonymous:

No no that's the nail salon ladies

Quoting Anonymous:

So, is the stereotype that they're talking crap about the people that are around them true?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LucyMom08
by BS Intolerant on Apr. 21, 2013 at 12:54 PM
o.O

Gorgeous!

Quoting Anonymous:

Do I look Spanish?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsRobinson06
by Silver Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 12:54 PM
So does my husband. He's white but his step dad is Mexican and his family treated my son like he too was family. He speaks it fluently but no one would ever know. Its funny going to a Mexican restaurant and having him order the food in spanish. All the employees get this suprised look.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MrS.GiFFord
by Platinum Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 12:55 PM
Puerto rican....you look like a girl I used to know

Quoting Anonymous:

Do I look Spanish?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
VannaMae307
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 12:55 PM
1 mom liked this

They're just so honest, they're not used to the tip-toe-around-your-feelings bullshit that Americans do. Either a person can handle it, or they can't. I could, I really do have big feet, I wear a size 11...I did ask her if they were gross, she said "all feet are gross, but yours are not extra gross" thumbs up, Kim! I never once heard anything that was just TOO mean, they never called me ugly or anything totally inappropriate, but they definitely spared the BS. That's how I like it though.

They inspired me to re-dye my hair, she said "you give yourself rainbow hair....go pay someone to fix it, I can see the rainbow in it" and sure enough when I went to a salon the girl said "have you been doing this yourself? it's very uneven..." NOBODY else had said anything to me...I'd have fixed it way before then if I had known.

Quoting areles:

hahaha, re the Kim. mine was kim too!

they particularly love the fat ladies. oh god, the shit they say.

i came in one day and all the girls started buzzing and chirping. i asked kim what was up, and she said:

'oh, they're saying that you lost weight. that you used to be like this (gestures with hands far apart), and now you're like this (hands closer together). you look better now! don't get fat again!'

i laughed my ass off. their honesty, man, it's awesome.

also, bear in mind, the wide hand fat version of me was 125. I'd lost about seven pounds. haha.

Quoting VannaMae307:

I had one like this too, I couldn't pronounce her name and asked if I could just call her Kim. She said "call all the girls Kim, and all the guys Han, it will be almost right" hahaha

and she said someone said I had big fuckin feet, but I do, so no offense was taken to that by me. I was there every 1-2 weeks so it was either awkward silence or suck it up and ask, sooo.....

Quoting areles:

haha! it IS! i had a good relationship with my nail girl years ago and she would always translate their conversations for me. 'when you think we're talking about you, we ARE!' haha.

Quoting Anonymous:

No no that's the nail salon ladies

Quoting Anonymous:

So, is the stereotype that they're talking crap about the people that are around them true?

VintageWife
by Silver Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 12:55 PM

You're going to try and say that you don't think some of the people are talking about others around them when they switch languages? I understand they know more than one, but it is rude at times to suddenly switch into another language. It does look suspicious. A friend of mine's cousins would only speak spanish around other people and they WERE talking about everyone around them at the moment. It frustrated her so much that her cousins thought it was okay to do that to other people. At least be man/woman enough to say it in front of people! 

Quoting winterglow:

Actually, when people speak another language with others of the same origin they don't assume other people don't understand because they're just talking with friends  so why should they care? When you chat with your friends do you assume that everyone around you wants to listen in on your conversation?

Quoting VintageWife:

Don't you love it when people assume you can't understand the language they're speaking?

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 21, 2013 at 12:55 PM

Yeahits fun but its nothing i can turn off. In this area not many peoplespeak spanish anyways. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 21, 2013 at 12:56 PM

Thnx. And I'm Cuban. People assume I don't know Spanish :)

Quoting LucyMom08:

o.O

Gorgeous!

Quoting Anonymous:

Do I look Spanish?

xixCandyxix
by Platinum Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 12:56 PM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured