Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Whose side would you take? long, sorry ... ONE MORE EDIT (black)... **EDIT at the top in red**

Posted by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 1:21 PM
  • 36 Replies

I want to thank all of you ladies. You all have helped even the ones that said things I really didn't want to "hear". I do know and accept part of the blame for this. Yes, I should call more and I realize that.

I had a thought earlier. As I said, I have always been the strong, independent daughter. Maybe TOO independent. I have a hard time talking about my feelings or asking for help. 

Again, thanks ladies for your help. 

**Okay, I talked to my hubby about this. He pointed out that my sister has always been "needy and dependent/clingy" where I have always been strong and independent. He suggested that maybe mom thinks that I am handling everything okay and doesn't need to be coddled like my sister.*shrug* IDK. Maybe he is right. I do know that it hurts to be ignored by your parents.**

Here's the situation: 

Your daughter and her hubby moved in with his mom to take care of her. You helped them move. Once they moved, the bottom fell out from under them. They found out that he had a tumor on his spinal nerves that was paralyzing him. Had to have surgery or be confined to a wheel chair. You go sit with her while she waits for him to get out. Even stay while she has to leave to go get her son from dialysis (he's been sick since 17 and had serious issues, both behavior and medical). The tumor caused such extensive nerve damage that her hubby is unable to work again. 

Flash forward a year. Son is in the hospital again. Comes home and dies two weeks after coming home. 

And now, her MIL has just died. 

Now, over the years, the calls from daughter have been few and far between. This is a huge change from the way it used to be. You guys used to talk at the least, once a week. Now it is rare. She isn't calling. 

You keep in touch with your younger daughter by calling her. You get together with your youngest daughter on weekends to watch NASCAR races. You both go do things like shopping or family events like baby showers. Neither one of you call and invite the oldest daughter. You didn't even call and let her know that you were having a procedure done on your heart. 

Now, knowing everything your older daughter has been through over the past 6 years, would you not bother calling her and wait for her to call or would you want to know how she is doing? 

ETA: I'm the oldest daughter in this little scenario. 

by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 1:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Diamepphyre
by Platinum Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 1:32 PM

Good god.  She's been going through all that and you expect her to call you?  The phone works BOTH WAYS. 

SpiritedWitch
by Froggie on Apr. 22, 2013 at 2:48 AM

Apparently it doesn't. She has not even called to see how hubby is doing after the death of his mother. 

See, my thinking, if I haven't heard from my child in a while, I am going to call them and find out WTH is going on. You know. 

Toonkasmommy
by Platinum Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 2:51 AM
1 mom liked this
How are you and hubby doing?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
paganmommy4
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 2:52 AM

the phone works both ways

tigerlily86
by Bronze Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 2:54 AM
She shoulda have called you. But sometimes you can push people too far away.
Generally speaking.
*should
Sunshine257
by Ruby Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 2:54 AM
1 mom liked this
You should call your parents and let then know how you are doing. 6 years or not unless of course they are bad people and you cut them out of your life.
DuchessScrat
by Platinum Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 2:58 AM
1 mom liked this

Life is short.  Blow her phone up.

Mrs.Torres2566
by Mrs.T on Apr. 22, 2013 at 3:01 AM

She should have called you.

SpiritedWitch
by Froggie on Apr. 22, 2013 at 3:02 AM
2 moms liked this

Coping.

Thank you for asking. 

Quoting Toonkasmommy:

How are you and hubby doing?

bustybee
by Buzz Lightyear on Apr. 22, 2013 at 3:03 AM

I'd want to know why mom (or daughter) isn't calling me... and I would in all good conscience try to call mom/daughter just to let her know how everything is going.

so I wouldn't take sides with the info you provied. is there something that I am missing?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured