Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Maybe I am setting myself up for disappointment? (Vent)

Posted by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 2:37 PM
  • 22 Replies

I understand that friends can be busy and that we aren't able to talk everyday but it seems as if every friendship I have had ends up in dissapointment.

Maybe my expectations for friendship are too high for others, I just don't know.

I wear my heart on my sleeve and I am there for people whenever they need it and do whatever I can in my power to help them but it always seems to backfire on me.

Everyone keeps drifting away or just stops calling or texting. The one friend that I do have, we are supposed to be besties, has had a rough year with her divorce and dating an asshole. I have been her ear, her shoulder and whatever she needs me to be.

She finally found someone who makes her happy and I am so happy for her but now I never see her, hear from her or anything unless I initiate it. And when I do get a response they are very short answers.

I have tried to start mom groups and get involved in different things but it never works out. Maybe it is me?

I am starting to think that friendships are just not worth it anymore.

by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 2:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 21, 2013 at 2:40 PM
2 moms liked this
Damn it feels like I'm the one who wrote this!
TranquilMind
by Ruby Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 2:40 PM
1 mom liked this

No, it isn't just you.  Friends are flaky these days, it seems.  Very few stick it out in a friendship, which isn't really surprising in a society where very few even stick it out in a marriage, I suppose. 

I've had good friends that come and go.  Sometimes it makes sense, as our lives just diverge or someone moves, but other times, they just stop talking to you. 

I wish I could have 50 year friendships like my Mom.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 21, 2013 at 2:41 PM

Girl, you sound exactly like me.  I help people but when I need help, there is nobody there for me except one person.  Her and I have been friends for less than 2 yrs and she is the only one that has been there for me when I needed it.  I have an "accquaintance" next door that we have taken her 7 yo with our 9 yo grandson to do things for the past 3 yrs but they have yet to ask if gs can go with them and their son to do anything. 

I'm to the point of saying fuck them all.........if you can't be there for me, don't expect me to be there for you.  I just have a hard time saying no to someone that needs help

Love060708kids
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 2:41 PM

Be careful with who you become friends with.  Oftentimes, the one who is always there gets nothing in return.  

Just how it goes sometimes.

saraewhite
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 2:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Really? i felt like I was the only one!

Quoting Anonymous:

Damn it feels like I'm the one who wrote this!

ChrissyReznor
by Platinum Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 2:42 PM
Happens to me too
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
saraewhite
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 2:43 PM

I would like to have at least one friendship that lasts!

Quoting TranquilMind:

No, it isn't just you.  Friends are flaky these days, it seems.  Very few stick it out in a friendship, which isn't really surprising in a society where very few even stick it out in a marriage, I suppose. 

I've had good friends that come and go.  Sometimes it makes sense, as our lives just diverge or someone moves, but other times, they just stop talking to you. 

akroeget203
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 2:44 PM
I know how u feel. :/ add me

Quoting saraewhite:

I understand that friends can be busy and that we aren't able to talk everyday but it seems as if every friendship I have had ends up in dissapointment.

Maybe my expectations for friendship are too high for others, I just don't know.

I wear my heart on my sleeve and I am there for people whenever they need it and do whatever I can in my power to help them but it always seems to backfire on me.

Everyone keeps drifting away or just stops calling or texting. The one friend that I do have, we are supposed to be besties, has had a rough year with her divorce and dating an asshole. I have been her ear, her shoulder and whatever she needs me to be.

She finally found someone who makes her happy and I am so happy for her but now I never see her, hear from her or anything unless I initiate it. And when I do get a response they are very short answers.

I have tried to start mom groups and get involved in different things but it never works out. Maybe it is me?

I am starting to think that friendships are just not worth it anymore.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TranquilMind
by Ruby Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 2:44 PM
1 mom liked this

Me too!  I have the more distant, we-keep-in-touch friendships that last.  But the best friend thing hasn't worked out lately.  My last "best" friend dumped me when HER kid hurt MY kid (??).  I should have been the angry one, but she decided it was my kid's fault for saying something her kid didn't like.  (Huh?)

Quoting saraewhite:

I would like to have at least one friendship that lasts!

Quoting TranquilMind:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 21, 2013 at 2:44 PM
do you feel that as a friend you
have to talk everyday or then you are not friends? you sound clingy
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)