Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

LEEP

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 11 Replies
I have mild dysplasia on my cervix and my gynecologist wants to do the LEEP procedure to get rid of it. Anyone else have this done? I'm very nervous and just need to hear from other people who have had this done. Any info is appreciated :)
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 21, 2013 at 2:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wymama610
by Gold Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 3:02 PM

I had it done years ago (2003ish) for abnormal cells. It was uncomfortable, but it was done in her office. The stuff they put on your cervix after was kinda gross, It was like coffee grounds coming out :( LOL. Nothing but normal paps since, and I went on to have 2 healthy pregnancies after. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 21, 2013 at 3:02 PM
Yup. Wasn't too bad. Just like cramping during a period. But you have to lay still on the bed instead of curling up with chocolate and a hearing pad. Take Tylenol before you go. Do a little research so you know what they're doing exactly. It's pretty quick too.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 21, 2013 at 3:02 PM

I had it done about 10 years ago. I was given the option of either a local or be completely knocked out. I chose to be knocked out. I was sore and uncomfortable for a day or 2 and spotted about a week. I think they gave me a prescription for loratabs and out of the 30, I took 4. It wasn't too bad. Good luck!

momto1ryen
by Silver Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 3:02 PM

Nothing to be nervous about. A little cramping afterwards and no sex for 6 weeks. Slightly uncomfortable when they do it. Warning though the smell is gross. Ask me anything.

momto1ryen
by Silver Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 3:04 PM
yes! mine was mustard seed like and it was gross!
Quoting wymama610:

I had it done years ago (2003ish) for abnormal cells. It was uncomfortable, but it was done in her office. The stuff they put on your cervix after was kinda gross, It was like coffee grounds coming out :( LOL. Nothing but normal paps since, and I went on to have 2 healthy pregnancies after. 

wymama610
by Gold Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 3:04 PM

Oh, and I was scared too. I was only 25 and thought I would be barren at best, and die of cancer at worst. A bit of an over reaction........ It really wasn't too bad and it was good to know they got all the bad cells. You'll be fine!

tarakay0417
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 3:08 PM
I had mine done in the hospital as an out patient surgery. I was completely knocked out for both the times I had it done. I was a little sore when I woke up but it wasn't too bad. I was told no sex for 2 weeks. I was able to go back to work the next day. And I have had a healthy pregnancy since having the surgeries.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 21, 2013 at 3:13 PM

I will post anon. I am 40. had it done in my early 20's. Very unsettling and stressful but in the end all was well. They told me to take Iburofin an hour before procedure for cramping. They will put something on you cervix to stop any bleeding which is black which you should see after procedure and is nothing to worry about. Think of it is an extremely uncomfortable papsmear. They will remove the tissue and it will be uncomfortable and maybe slightly painful but is really not that bad. Afterwards they will give you a pad to wear in case of any bleeding. I brought my own. I didn't have a lot of bleeding afterwards but I did have cramps. After procedure you can expect a papsmear every 6 months, then once a year. I have never had any problems afterwards. When I was 10 weeks pregnant my cervix was checked to make sure it could handle the weight of a baby which it could. Other than that, all was well. Don't worry. It is nervewracking but it is very common. It won't be nearly as bad as you think it will be.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 21, 2013 at 3:15 PM

I've had two, they were both relatively minor procedures.  went in early in the morning, they knocked me out, burned out the cells, did a biopsy, and packed me with some kind of clotting agent.  I cramped for a couple of days.  I had it done on a Thursday, took Friday off, and was back on Monday.  I just kind of laid around on Thursday after I got home, took some ibuprofin.  the worst part was the discharge afterwards. 

unlike another poster, I then had to have a pap 4x a year for the first year, 2x a year for the year after that, then if they all came back clear I could go back to once a year.

I've had two more children since then, but when I went to deliver the first we discovered that my cervix was pretty much scarred shut and had to have a c-section. 

Baby5678
by Bronze Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 4:32 PM
Yes I had severe dysphasia and was scheduled to get that done before I was pregnant..but the hormones through my pregnancy corrected it...go figure! Go to a naturopath though...sometimes if it's mild you can correct it without leep
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured